Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2452
  · Views: 824173
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

hard cast .357 load for hog
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RPM1031

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:20 pm    Post subject: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

Looks like there is a hog hunt in my future. Next year guys are getting a GA hog hunt together. I will most likely use my .45-70 GG but would like to take along my .357 mag. as a back up. It would not be the gun of choice but my S&W Model 66 w/ it's 4" barrel is the only hand gun I have that comes close. I'm looking at Beartooth Bullets' 185gr hard cast bullet loaded with either the H4227 that I already have or H110 that I want to get. I have an assortment of brass that I've cleaned and both CCI STD and mag. primers. Suggestions on loads using these or other components would be greatly appreciated

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

Load is/would be, too hot and long for a S&W M66!

It sounds like you are trying to duplicate a '357 Silhouette' load, which CAN NOT be used in any other than 'some' Ruger, Dan Wesson, and Reeder revolvers (but all T/C i would think) because of the OAL.

Flint54

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

Sad I would not use the 185s let me suggest the Cast Performance line of hardcast bullets. They have a 160gr WFNPB.

www.castperformance.co...?Vl=1&Tp=2

This would be the heaviest that I would use in a Mod-66. This frame is the same as the Mod-19 only in Stainless. This is not a heavy frame so I would not suggest heavy loads for it. I wore one out with factory loaded magnums in less than 2 years/ 6000 rounds.

If you use the above load you can keep within very reasonable limits and the bullet does very well. I have used it in my 586s and Contenders. With just below published Max loads I have put bullets completly thru a whitetails shoulder and found the bullet on the opposite side just under the hide. In a couple of others I had complete pass throughs. None went more than 50 yards. Give them a try I think you will be happy with them. Cheers
RPM1031

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

I got this off the web site of Beartooth Bullets after hours so couldn't ask them about it. Marshall Stanton states the results he posted were from a Ruger Blackhawk in 6" blue but that it had been tested in over 40 different handguns and carbines. I personally have no idea and am glad you folks know enough to warn me off. I have a box of 460gr Cast Performance waiting to be loaded for my .45-70 somewhere down the line. I heard they make good bullets. I saw on another thread hardcasts were recommended for hunting with a .357 mag.

Thanks again

Flint54

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

Cool Hard Cast bullets IMO are the BEST rounds to be loaded in a .357 Magnum for hunting. There have been a few others that do very well but IMO push a lighter framed .357 to its limits. In a large frame revolver there is that extra margin of stregnth that precludes possible wear/damage. Also, in most cases a hardcast bullet of the same weight can be safely pushed to a bit higher velocity due to the bullet having less friction/drag in the barrel. Being that it is also harder than other aloys it will not deform near as much and the large flat metplat will provide a large wound cavity. Those that have actually used hardcast can vouch for them, those that haven't don't have the facts. Cool
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

I agree with you about the 160gr WFNPB (and hardcasts Cool ) (but would not go over, or be on a steady diet of them either) and don't want to make any claims to S&W's being unreliable because that's not the case at all.

A concern however lies in the age of the revolver, and in knowing K-frames vulnerabilities with heavier loads. It goes without saying timing becomes an issue, and how well your forcing cone is cut and polished to reduce flame/gas-cuttting and leading. Lastly, you always take a risk with frame/barrel twisting, as i have seen MANY (and mostly innocent) mistakes which the barrel pin is sheared off and unrepairable (although in most cases a heavy grain diet was the end result).

Cast Performance makes great castings in many flavors Very Happy but i'd gather (RPM1031) that on the other thread, most hardcasts were used in a single action or a Ruger, Dan Wesson, and Taurus double actions.

Take care

RPM1031

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

I haven't had time to work on any loads for my K frame .357. Been bouncing back and forth between NJ and GA. I still would like to take it as a back up gun when I go on a hog hunt. I was looking into cast preformance 160 gr. on Midway. I saw under reviews that someone with a 686, another S&W K frame, had trouble it. Said the bullet was too large for the throat and actually imprinted the bullet. Does anyone have any other suggestions? S&W suggested a 158 grain jsp but I see some have put them in the same category of a jhp when used in a handgun.

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

I've even had trouble with my 686+ with 158's :(....the only suggestion i would give is to get a new 357 mag in Ruger or Taurus to give you a good strong revolver that CAN and WILL be able to handle heavy loads.

Why i expressed "can" and "will" is because Taurus has taken a bad rap over the years....but i assure you they are every bit as strong as a Ruger!

RPM1031

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

Can't justify the cost of another gun right now. Push comes to shove I just won't take my model 66 on the hunt. If I do get another handgun it would probably be a .45 long colt.

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

Now a 45LC would be a great choice IMO Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: hard cast .357 load for hog Reply with quote

RPM1031 wrote:
I haven't had time to work on any loads for my K frame .357.

RPM1031.......a K Frame is not a good gun to trust with too many full house .357 MAG loads. I had a K Mod 19 and used it for 357 MAG factory (125gn Lawman initially) then 158gn SWC handloaded. Basically, the gun couldn't handle the big loads....it shot loose in no time and I even SPLIT THE FORCING CONE which locked up the cylinder (this is a bad thing) and had to rebarrel it. I bought a 586 L Frame and it was great. The S & W L frame (586 or 686) is the smallest I would use for a steady diet of good solid magnum loads. At least it will do the job for you when you most need it.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1