Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

IN THE THE MARKET FOR ....
By Popular Demand: Discussions related to Varmint Hunting
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MOOSEKNUCKLE
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:53 pm    Post subject: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

A NEW VARMINNT / PLINKING RIG
WOULD LIKE TO DO SOME LONG RANGE P-DOG AND RABBIT SHOOTING OUT HERE IN AZ AS WELL.

I LIKE THE NEW XR-100 FROM REMINGTON..IN 22-250
(ALSO CONSIDERING THE .204..FLATTER SHOOTING? )
ITS IN MY BUDJET AND
SEEMS PRETTY SOLID AND EQUIPPED FOR THE PRICE..

BUT, I AM ALSO NEW TO THIS, SO LOOKING FOR SOME OPINIONS
www.remington.com/prod...master.asp
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

I don't see anything wrong with that choice! The .22-250 will give you more energy way out there at 500 yds, at the cost of slightly more recoil.

My only suggestion is to spend the money on a good scope. Burris has a "Ballistic Plex" reticle that you might find useful for your purpose.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
MOOSEKNUCKLE
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger wrote:
I don't see anything wrong with that choice! The .22-250 will give you more energy way out there at 500 yds, at the cost of slightly more recoil.

My only suggestion is to spend the money on a good scope. Burris has a "Ballistic Plex" reticle that you might find useful for your purpose.
YOU'RE SAYING THAT THE BALLISTIC RETICLE WOULD BE MORE HELPFUL FOR THE LONG RANGE STUFF RIGHT? FOR THE HOLD OVER POINTS

ALSO, IN REGAURDS TO THE RECOIUL...I WAS CONSIDERING A MUZZLE-BRAKE..ANY THOUGHTS

THANKS FOR THE INPUT..
DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

Off a bench brakes are fine... for hiking / hunting not so good. They will make your gun INCREDIBLY loud and you will need to have ear protection on when firing it. .22-250 is my hands down favorite caliber and recoil has never been an issue for me. A brake on a .22-250 is overkill.

-DallanC
MOOSEKNUCKLE
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

DallanC wrote:
Off a bench brakes are fine... for hiking / hunting not so good. They will make your gun INCREDIBLY loud and you will need to have ear protection on when firing it. .22-250 is my hands down favorite caliber and recoil has never been an issue for me. A brake on a .22-250 is overkill.

-DallanC

YOU'RE ABLE TO STAY ON TARGET / SEE IMPACT IN THE SCOPE?
MOOSEKNUCKLE
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

ALSO CONSIDERING THESE

9653 Nikon 5-20x44 Monarch 8424, Matte finish, Niko Plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, fast focus eye piece, includes 3 sets of interchangeable turrets, finger adjustable windage and elevation, light ring marks, factory reconditioned $615.00 $399.95

9480 Nikon 6-24x50 Monarch 8426, Matte finish, Niko Plex reticle, 1" tube, side focus, includes 3 sets of interchangeable turrets, finger adjustable 1/8moa windage and elevation, like new, factory reconditioned $770.00 $499.95

WHATCHUTHINK
Verminator2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

Trust me at 500 yards a pdog or rabbit isn't going to be able to tell if it was hit by a .204 or a .22-250. I never have been able to consistently keep the sight picture with a '250, but with my .204 it hasn't been a problem at all. I would get a used 4.5-14x40 VX-III for a scope with the Varmint Hunters reticle. Better yet you can just get a used VX-II 6-18x40 Target and just dial for your range, no holdover necessary, helped up my longer range kill percentage a lot.
moose2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

I would also consider the .223 Remington as a choice for what you have in mind. It's not a super long range rifle but pretty sweet shooting out to 400 yards and a bit of a challenge past that which makes it all the more fun. With it you can maintain a sight picture and its very easy to load for. Scopes are another pretty controversial subject for sure. One can spend a little or a whole lot to get the job done. Have fun with your selection and new rifle.-ter

lesterg3

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

Don't know anything about the caliber you are talking about, but if your in the market for a scope the best place I have found price wise is Optics Planet www.opticsplanet.net/r...opes.html.

I am retired so cost is a major thing to me. I bought an off brand scope from them last August at a lower price than I could find anywhere else, the scope has work tremendously well and they carry a wide variety of brand names also.

Hope I don't get in trouble here for recommending a vendor, just trying to help.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

Les, we all like to know the best places to shop and all recommend places that have done well by us. That's a little different than advertising some place we are affiliated with. I've always found Natchez to have good prices optics too.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
MOOSEKNUCKLE
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

I THINK IL BE GOING FOR THE 6-24X50 MONARCH OFF OF THE "SAMPLELIST"

CAN ANYONE TELL ME MORE ABOUT THIS PLACE...I TAKE IT ALL OFTHESE SCOPE ARE REFURBISHED? ANY DOWNFALL TO THIS?
FOR THE PRICE I JUST CANT HELP BUT WONDER THAT THEIR HAS GOT TO BE A DOWNFALL OF THE UNITS VS. BRAND NEW
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

If the units are refurbished they will say so. Most of that stuff is new. I've bought from both Optics Planet and Natchez and been very pleased.

lesterg3

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

Went and took a look at what The Sample List had for sale. The only thing that concerns me is the shear number of 6x24 Nikon Monarchs on the list.

This is only me, but if these are all factory reconditioned and there are a ton of Monarchs on the list and 28 of them are the 6x24, that Nikon is having a little trouble with the Monarchs??? Confused

Do you know anybody with a Monarch?

I might try to get some more info on the reliability.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
MOOSEKNUCKLE
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

lesterg3 wrote:
Went and took a look at what The Sample List had for sale. The only thing that concerns me is the shear number of 6x24 Nikon Monarchs on the list.

This is only me, but if these are all factory reconditioned and there are a ton of Monarchs on the list and 28 of them are the 6x24, that Nikon is having a little trouble with the Monarchs??? Confused

Do you know anybody with a Monarch?

I might try to get some more info on the reliability.

THIS IS RIGHT ALONG THE LINE OF MY THOUGHTS...

AND ACTUALLY EVERYONE I TALK TO, ( AT MY LOCAL SHOPS CABELAS SPORTSMANS ECT ) SAY AND SWEAR BY THEIR NIKONS. THEY SEEM TO THINK THAT THEY ARE DEFFINTATLY THE BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK.
SPECIFICALY THE MONARCHS
skb2706

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: IN THE THE MARKET FOR .... Reply with quote

FYI typing text in all caps is considered shouting.

Actually re-furbished can ultimately be a better buy than new. In the gun world the word refurb can be used in place of 'over stock', 'last years model' or 'returned for no apparent reason'. All of which have nothing to do with problems necessarily. In any case the worst scenario is that someone got to re-look at it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Varmint Hunting
Page 1 of 2