Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Downed by Microsoft !!!
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

I’m going on a rant now !!! Hopefully it might save someone from having the same trouble !!!

Thanks to Microsoft my computer has been down for almost 2 days.
I downloaded a optional update (ideacomHID) that at the time thought might pertain to my computer.
After doing so I lost total use of my mouse.
You would think that a company like Microsoft would run these updates inside the walls of their company before releasing them to the public !!!
It's not like they don't have the resorce to do so.
And from what I'm hearing this sort of thing isn't uncommon with them.
At the time this had happened I had no idea as to what happened.
At first I thought I was dealing with some sort of a virus.
I was forced to learn, on my own how to navigate without a mouse.
I was finally able to run a virus scan and found nothing.
Long story short, My mouse driver was affected from the update.
I wanted to uninstall the update but was unable to get to it. (showed in the update history, but not in the update uninstall link.)
Then thought to go to the Microsoft web site. It was down.(try navigating on line without a mouse)
The next morning I got up went to a local Best Buy to talk to a geek !!!
They did not understand it and had no answers either. They did however give me some ideas. If I only had another mouse and driver to install it would have worked.
I knew all along I could just dump the system and restart it, but……………….
On the way home I finally remembered the back in time feature, Thank you HP !!!
Another 30 minutes trying to figure out how to do it and presto just like magic, it’s working again.
I was finally able to get onto the Microsoft web site and low and behold this update was all the rage. I wasn’t the only one PO’ed.

The up side to this is I did learn some things about my PC, but I didn’t want to learn them this way !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

Well, I can understand your frustration..

Thats why I always backup before install some new software.
Acronis is a good software for back up - fast and easy to use.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
English Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

When Microsnot stop supporting XP later this year (that their stockists were still selling six months ago), I shall migrate to Linux & MS can go suck a Zube.
I refuse to pay out yet MORE $ for their %^&*£ stuff. Mad
Dimitri

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

Windows 2000 should have been properly expanded on. XP is decent however.

Won't be going to Vista myself.

Remember System Restore will take you back in time and allow you to go to a stage when the update was not installed.

Dimitri

Grumulkin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

Now Microsoft is touting Windows 7. I really have to wonder if it isn't Vista under a new name in new packaging.

I was going to buy a Windows machine when I went shopping for a new computer last year. That ended when I found that computers with the options I wanted only came with Vista. My solution was to buy an iMac running Leopard and I've been VERY happy with my choice.
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

The way I understood it, Vista was the platform for the next 2-4 versions of windows !!!

I do honestly belive alot of people have trashed Vista without just cause though.
Yes, they have issues with it, more hardware compatibility than anything.
I feel these issues come with anything new !!!

After being around computers for about 2 years now, with a better understanding, I got to admit Macs are looking pretty good to me.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
1895ss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

I have XP on my Desktop computer with no problems and I have Vista Home Premium on my Laptop and have had absolutely no problems at all. In fact I like Vista. Like chambered says, most of the problems with Vista where more hardware compatibility than anything.

English Mike

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

1895ss wrote:
Like chambered says, most of the problems with Vista where more hardware compatibility than anything.

That's something where the blame can be laid on Microsoft for writing an OS that doesn't work with commonly used hardware.
It does make you wonder if certain hardware manufacturers were "favoured" by this issue.........
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

A few disclaimers first:
I've only been around computers for about 2 years.
I’m not by any means trying to defend Microsoft.
I can't say anything I type is factual.
The things I speak of came mostly from IT people I know from work and other places.
With that said,
Vista came about as a platform to launch the next generation of technology.
The hardware issue deals with the fact that the older stuff in it’s present form is not capable of operating on this platform.
I’m told that Vista has features in it that we are not able to use at this time.
A lot of it has to deal with the 64 bit system. 32 bit software will become a thing of the past.
Most computers now have the 64 bit processor in it but still operates the 32 bit software.

~George Washington
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

Thing is when XP came out (and even Windows 2000) Microsoft made them compatible with OLD drivers to get everything working for their customers first, then developed a system to make much better drivers to harness what the OS could actually do.

A XP machine can handle running hardware on 2000 or even NT 4.0 drivers, just as 2000 can handle NT drivers as well.

Microsoft caused the hardware issues themselves by not programming into Vista the same type of compatibly/conversion software for the drivers in Vista as they have done in the past.

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

"Mitri this is true, but if you look at the nice wheels on a 2009 Corvette you'll find they likely will not fit a 1999 Corvette either, or vice versa. I am not defending Microsoft in any way, but every new model year of many, many products are not compatible with past model versions. So I don't think it's just computers where we run into that. Smile

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

That is different though, you can go to the store and get tires for your car or truck easily because there are common standard sizes that get fallowed.

Think of the specific hardware as a piece of computer hardware. The Corvette is made as a complete package including everything you need to get it on the road and running, but they are smart enough to have standard tire sizes so you can pull up to a service station and if they carry any real selection of tires you'll leave with new ones.

With computer operating software which is meant to run the hardware, its the OS's company job to make their software as easy to use as possible.

It would be like a company making car mufflers to what they want it to be without regard to what the car companies are spec'ing out in their cars.

Dimitri

1895ss

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

I said wheels not tires........................ there is a difference.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

I've gotta wonder, who should be responsible for new drivers? Accessory manufacturers or operating system manufacturer?

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Downed by Microsoft !!! Reply with quote

My HP PSC won't work right with Vista I tried to get a update for the driver and there is none Confused besides that I haven't realy had any issues with Vista.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 3