· Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

CCW handgun
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sniper

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Hi, all.
I am just about at the point of selling my Ruger Single Six and other stuff to use the $$ towards a ccw weapon. Very Happy

I figure my choices are: Small, pocketable ,.380 like the Ruger LCP, Browning BDA, Sig 230, or Bersa Thunder.
Realizing the .380 isn't much, but better than fingernails, teeth, fists, etc, and according to Marshall and Sanow, with proper ammo, will do the job.

Next, the Smith& Wesson 60 3", stoked with Speer Gold Dot 135gr. 38 Spl+P or 158gr LHP +P ammo.

Going a bit larger, but still easier to conceal than my 586; 9mm. So far, my first choice is: Ruger SR9,

Ruger P94-95,

Daewoo 9mm,(?)

Sig P225, ( A little smal for my hands, uncomfortable with the magazine extension digging into my little finger.)

Or, my personal favorites, the Smith and Wesson 39-2,(Secret agent man. Cool ) a Colt Commander in 9mm, or a Browning High Power, regular or compact. (Quality wise, how do the Mauser clones of the High Power do?)

I think I could fit most in my budget, and I would dearly love to have the Smith 39, but the newer designs seem just a little better.

What do you guys think? Any suggestions, or recommendations that I haven't considered? Any recommendations for loads for the 9mm, that are not exotic, or more expensive than they need to be? Powders and loads for practice?

Now, I start haunting the gun and pawn shops.

Handloader: I visit AZ once in a while. Can a gun shop sell a handgun legally to a resident of another state?
Thanks
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

I'm using an SR9 now, loaded with 124-125 grain JHPs. I like the way it handles, it shoots pretty well and holds 17 + 1. I have a couple of Don Hume holsters for it, one IWB and one "pancake".

If you like revolvers the new Ruger LCR looks interesting but I haven't seen or shot one yet. I have a box of the Speer 135 gr Gold Dots on my bench, waiting for time to load them up. They are for my 3" S&W 36.

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
lesterg3

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

I've used and owned many different handguns, Sig, Colt, Ruger, etc., etc.

Recently though, I have purchased several manufactured by Taurus, yeah I know, but I basically wanted inexpensive CCW's. Pray

Well I got more than I bargained for. These handguns exceeded my expectations in every category. Haha

I originally bought my wife a Taurus PT111 Pro as a gift, but her hands were not strong enough to jacket a round, so now I use it for CCW and for FUN. It is a great pistol and accurate as he--. Over a 1000 rounds with no hang ups or misfires. Very Happy

So, then I took her to the store to let her pick out her next handgun and she bought a Taurus Ultra-Lite .38 Special. Results same as above a great weapon. I use it whenever she's not carrying it.

I liked it so much I just ordered a similar Ultra-Lite revolver, in .357 mag. This one is hammer-less, and it is great in either my front or back pocket, and so is the 9Mm. Since I'm an oldie, I don't wear tight pants so it works well for me. Evil Devil

Anyway my only point is if you can try out either of these guns I would recommend it, you may not have to sell the Ruger, but if you think you might why don't you post a pic. I have a few penny's around.

I have loaded pics in my album of both guns, if you'd like to look.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Sniper...I have three that I carry in turn. Remember I'm sorta a small guy at 5' 7". I carry either my Firestar M43, Kimber UCC II (which I have on right now) or my S&W mod 19 2 1/2" Combat magnum...I carry the Firestar at 4:00 IWB. The Kimber in a Yaqui Slide on my strong side and the S&W at 2:00 appendix IWB. In the summer I wear a T-shirt and a light over shirt unbuttoned and untucked. In the winter, pretty much what I want to that will hide any of them...

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
chambered221

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Sniper, Your confusing me a little !!!

First, your considering small pocket pistols but you make reference to the Sig 225 being too small for your hands.
The 225 is a lot bigger than those others.

Second, your considering a Commander in 9MM ??? Or a Hi-Power, also a 9MM.
If your gonna carry that big of a gun carry a .45

Last, when it comes to defense ammo !!! This isn’t the time to be pinching pennies, do that with your practice ammo.

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Sniper...I use Hornady defence ammunition. The Hornady XTP is my favorite.

I have hand loads that are cheaper, but duplicate the factory ammunition for practice
124 grain Rainier PHP for the 9mm X 19. 185 grain Rainier PHP for the .45 ACP and Remington 140 grain SJHP for the .357 magnum.

Last edited by Bushmaster on Sat Feb 14, 2009 7:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

The Ruger LCP seemed like a real good idea to me until it leaked out how may people had problems with it. Then Ruger did the recall and guess what? Some of the "fixed" guns still don't work right.
Joe Boleo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

It depends what you prefer, can handle well and afford. I have a Smith & Wesson Model 60 2 inch tucked in the small of my back as I type this. My lady friend carries a Smith Model 36. I have several .380s and like them and would be glad to have them if needed. Take care...
Joe
sniper

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

chambered221 wrote:
Sniper, Your confusing me a little !!!

First, your considering small pocket pistols but you make reference to the Sig 225 being too small for your hands.
The 225 is a lot bigger than those others.

You are right. Perhaps I mislead a bit. What I meant to say was the 225 grip is o.k., but too short. With a magazine in, the lip on the bottom of the mag sticks out, and is very uncomfortable when I try to achieve a firm hold on the pistol. A long range session...even 50 rounds... would be a real chore.

I thought about buying the one I was considering, then grinding the lip off all the mags, but then figured it may be too much trouble and/or might cause the magazine to malfunction somehow.
As you can tell, I'm a real expert at this sort of thing. Cool

The PPK size and shape grips on the smaller guns seem very comfortable to me, as does the Smith 60 with some sort of combat grip.
chambered221

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Have you looked at or considered Kahr !!!

If you want small………… you can get them in .380, 9MM, .40 cal., and .45 ACP.

I carry a MK40 Elite in the summer. Word of caution though. I do not recommend a PM40. They are to light and wicked to shoot. My MK is a hand full but controllable.

P-series are poly frame
M- series are all stainless

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
fnuser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

I carry a Sig 239 it's perfect for me I like their .357 sig and went ahead and bought several cases to keep availability issues at bay. since I bought it 1 year ago its always less than 6 ft from me. it also comes in 9mm. and .40

Arron

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Borrow as many as you can to try them then get the one YOU like that "feels" good in YOUR hands!!!!!!

I have carried many different pistols and felt just fine with all of them.
Personally I like OWB(outside the waistband) but that is up to each as well.

As a newly minted NRA pistol instructor I recommend one that will securely hold the pistol with positive retention. Secondly NO matter how good you think you are with a pistol spend the money on some good CCW themed courses. Alot of folks who carry have no idea how to retain the firearm while in a struggle. And the class can give some insight on carry options as well.
Grizz
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Sniper you pose a very interesting question. One that probably won't be resolved easily. I have read all the responses and they too are interesting and offer insight to the way each thinks. If you can afford more than one you can bridge the gaps of one type of weapon over the next. Bushmater certainly has covered all the bases. His description of his carry techniques are important aspect of this equation. Once you make your decision you must practice,practice, and practice putting the weapon in use frrom you chosen carry position. I have been looking at some Kahr .40s the PM40 and MK40, but I have also looked at the Sig P232 in .380. I feel these are fine choices, but I just keep falling back to my Colt Officer's Model or Kimber Target II in 10mm. You should shoot as many as you can and practice deploying them from several carry positions. Good Luck!

"We in America do not have government by the majority. We have government by the majority who participate."
Thomas Jefferson
Bushmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

One more thought to keep in mind. If you carry a deadly weapon you must have the mindset that you can and WILL kill someone (to protect yourself and yours). If you can't come to grips with this...Don't carry!

chambered221

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: CCW handgun Reply with quote

Whenever someone ask me for a recommendation for a concealed carry gun I ask this question.

“ Have you actually though about the taking of life in killing someone and can you live the rest of your life knowing your responsible for the loss of a life”

You’d be surprised how many people get caught off guard with this !!!
I have always gotten one of two responses.
The without hesitation strong voiced “Yes”
And the pause a moment lowering voice that says “Yea !!! I think so, never thought of it that way”

If someone pauses on this question they have not thought the mental aspects of this through and are not ready for concealed carry !!!

~George Washington
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 4