Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820622
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Hunter killed by Wildlife officer
Discussion that doesnt fit other Topics
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:44 am    Post subject: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

A turkey hunter in NC was killed by an NC WRC officer on Saturday, the opening day of turkey season here. Something isn't adding up so far. I gather from the comments that the hunter was very hard of hearing so I have to think that figured into this tragedy. There aren't any real details in the story posted so far.

Here is the link >> www.wxii12.com/news/19...etail.html

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle

Last edited by Pumpkinslinger on Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
lesterg3

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

Sounds fishy to me!!

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

I just got one comment about the term "veteran" being used. How does a 12 year job count as "veteran" .... I always thought it referred to someone with a couple of decades of experience under his belt and got his 25 year gold watch. Confused

I mean a kid out of high school taking wild life management (2 years at many colleges) can end up being a Wild life officer with 12 years experience and still only be ~33 years old. Confused

All I know is that Minton is probably regretting what he did no matter what happened. Taking life, even when a person is in the right to because they are defending themselves is always a hard thing to live with.

Dimitri

Bushmaster

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

Pumpkinslinger...Please stay on top of this. I'm not sure when they desided to arm wild life officers and game commision people, but they weren't armed when I started hunting. I do understand why they armed them. There are a few nuts out there that poach. But on his own land? 76 years old? Minding his own business? WLO doing on private land in the first place without permission? Did he challenge the land owner? Or... Did the land owner challenge him for trespassing?

DEMOCRACY Two wolves and one sheep voting on what to have for lunch...
LIBERTY A well armed sheep contesting the outcome of the vote...
rdwllce

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

Game wardens in Alabama are armed and I dont think they have to have your permission to trespass.

d_hoffman

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

They're armed here in Ohio. The kid in my county looks to be barely out of puberty.

DallanC
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

F&G officers in my state have been armed for as long as I can remember. They are peace officers according to the state and can enter private property if they suspect something illegal is going on. Very sad situation.

-DallanC
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

NC WRC officers have been armed as long as I can remember.

Another news article on the incident:

www.myfox8.com/wghp-st...2939.story

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
Joe Boleo

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

What a tragic story. I hope the investigation reveals what really happened. Take care...
Joe
English Mike

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

Something definitely isn't right about the reported event.

I doubt the facts will be forthcoming unless there are witnesses who have yet to come forward.
Crackshot

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

In my county in michigan, the game warden can not enter your property unless their has been a call placed by the owner or anyone else for that matter.........So they pretty much do what they want to. Sad Sad

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

Something just doesn't sound right with this shooting.

I wonder if there is something in the background that has been ongoing for some time?

The second news article posted by Punkin, raises more questions than it answers. I question the Warden's actions in walking in without any sort of warning. Where were the grandkids? Were they at the house, although the daughter says they went with their GrandDad, so were they in the blind with him? If they were at the house, then why didn't they go with the Warden to the blind? If they were in the blind why did the Warden shoot?

Far too many questions left unanswered here, and as the guys daughter says:

"He's minding his own business sitting in a tree stand. He hadn't been there long. My dad had a gun, he was turkey hunting! But my dad's gun never fired. And there was only two of them there, and my dad's gone. He can't tell his side," said Clyde's daughter Debbie Robbins.

A very tragic event...for all concerned. As Bushy said, try to keep on top of the story Punkin.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dawgdad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

I read somewhere that fish and wildlife officer fire their weapons in the line of duty more than any other law enforcement group.

Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

I have a friend that lives up that way but I haven't talked to him yet. I did see something that said that NC law allows WRC officers to enter private property if conducting an investigation.

A link to another website that was discussing this incident:

www.northcarolinapha.c...pic&t=1507

lesterg3

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hunter killed by Wildlife officer Reply with quote

As far as I can tell all Game Wardens are armed, I guess if I were one I would want to be armed too, as there are many hunters who do not adhere to the same level of ethics that we do. If I were facing armed hunters daily, I would feel much better having some protection.

As for going on private property, as far as I have been able to determine after reading several states game laws, a Warden is allowed to trespass on private property to check for unlawful actions, I think that is a bit out there and wonder if that has ever been challenged in court. I would think that barring anything but the Wardens hunch, that Wardens being "Law Officers" would require a warrant to search private property.

After all, unless the Police have a very good reason to believe that there is an illegal action underway at a location, they too must wait for a warrant. And, many cases have been dismissed for this very reason.

I just do not believe that the Warden acted in self defense, no way. I think the guy jumped the gun, (no pun intended), The victim did not fire his shotgun, and even if he was baiting turkeys, that is not a death sentence.

This is just a gut feeling, so please don't beat me up too much, but I also have no confidence that we will ever hear the full and truthful story about what happened.

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government. -- Thomas Jefferson

"Americans have the right and advantage of being armed - unlike the citizens of other countries whose governments are afraid to trust the people with arms."--James Madison

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." Thomas Jefferson.

NRA Life Member
Vietnam War Vet 68-69
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » General
Page 1 of 2