Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Beginner rifle
Big Game Hunting topics that dont fit other categories
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Okami
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Hi, I wanted to get into hunting, but don't know what rifle or cal. to get, I've been looking at the Weatherby Vanguard 30-06, but don't know how good it is for hunting or what cal. I should get since it comes in different ones. any suggestions would help. I'll be doing big game. So please reply and please list prices too if you can. Thank you
Pumpkinslinger

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Welcome Okami!

The Weatherby would be a good choice, as would any of the "name brands" like Remington, Winchester, Ruger, Savage, etc. I would look at several and find something that feels good to you when you shoulder it. It doesn't hurt if you like the looks of it too.

As for caliber, again the .30-06 is a good choice, as are many others for deer-sized game. What sort of "big game" are you planning to go after?

Prices seem to vary from place to place. What area are you located in?

Also remember that you'll want to spend some money on a quality scope.

Give us a little more detail and I think you'll get plenty of advice from the folks here!

"I ain't no better than anybody else, and there ain't nobody better than me!" Ma Kettle
rdncktink

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Well my first was a .22 but for a hunting rifle my first was a Winchester 30-30 lever action. I did put a lot of thought into it. My Grandpa helped me think about what I needed. Things to look at.
- Weight of the rifle. If you can handle the weight go ahead and get something heavy. I've had so many broken arms that I went with something lighter. It's kicks like a mule though so that your trade off. Which leads into the next thing.
- Recoil. Do you mind killing your shoulder? If you need something lighter like me don't forget a recoil pad.
- Arm length. Okay for some this isn't an issue. At 6' this shouldn't have been an issue, but with all those broken arms I broke my growth plate and had to consider where my hands went. My dad's Marlin is too long for me.
- Lever v. bolt. For some this is looks. For me it goes back to the stupid broken arms. I can't do a bolt, I've tried. My .22 is an auto-loader so once I do it the first time I'm fine.
- Left or right handed. I'm left handed and shot left handed but bought a "general" rifle so it's for righties.

Scopes. I HATE them. Me and my mom don't use them. If we have to use a scope it's to far to walk. Pluse there's eye sight issues. So those are personal choices.

No matter what it's not always the most expensive items that are the best. Check out local gun shops. My mom got her rifle used and in great condition.

gelandangan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Confused fish

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Gelan...I'm so confused. Laughing

Tinks...great advice mate. Bit hard to add anything to what you have said.

Okami...this may sound like a silly question mate...but are you a teenager or an adult, and do you have any shooting experience? Reason I ask this is because it can make quite a difference to the sort of rifle, and calibre, that is best for you.

As Punkin asked...what sort of "big game" is your most likely quarry? Now I'm not familiar with the "toughness" of game in the area you wish to hunt or the US...but I would certainly suggest starting with a smaller calibre if you are lacking shooting experience. My personal preference is for the .243 Winchester...not much will stand up after being hit with one of those...except for some of the bigger game species in the US.

As for rifle brand...I have the Weatherby Vanguard and I like it, a lot. Why, because it fits me nicely, it's not too heavy to carry for a number of hours up hill and down dale, and it shoots better than I can. Having said that, what Punkin says is totally correct...brand is irrelevant...they are all good, some maybe a little more gooderer than others, but good nonetheless. It all comes down to what you like and what suits you.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

A 30/06 is a good choice. With the proper selection of ammo, it's adequate for any game in North America and for anything except dangerous game in Africa. The availability of ammo and reloading components is also excellent.

As for what kind to get; I wouldn't go Weatherby for a 30/06. If I were getting a single bolt action rifle and needed to be economical it would be a Savage with the Accu-Trigger. The price on them is reasonable and the out-of-the-box accuracy legendary.
Okami
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Well to start off, I'm in Boise, Idaho, and I'd be going after deer and elk. Now for gun experience, none of that, only shooting experience I have is airsoft and bb rifles. I was looking at Winchester lever action rifles and they are to expensive for my budget, I found a nice Remington 770 package but that rifle had a history of the barrel exploding, so not getting that one, it was a nice rifle though. I'm trying to keep it cheap for my first one, that's why I was looking at Weatherby, and found different packages that have scopes for around $500. I'm 13, don't know if this matters or not but I'm 5'9" average build, but like i said don't know if that matters. Confused
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

If you go to www.gunbroker.com you can price a lot of different guns easily. The key to getting a good deal is to first know what you want and then shop around. I would also recommend you visit a gun story and handle a few rifles to see what fits you and feels good in your hand. There is no need to buy on your first or even second visit.

If you've never shot a high powered rifle before, you might find 30/06 recoil challenging. A 270 Winchester would do what you want it to do with less recoil.

If it were me under your circumstances, I would still go with the Savage since they do have a reputation for excellent out-of-the-box accuracy without fiddling. I was just on gunbroker.com and with very little effort found a couple with scopes and new in box for less than $500.

And if you really want the Weatherby get it; they aren't bad rifles though I don't think their reputation for accuracy at least in the economy versions is as good as Savage but it would be quite adequate for hunting. Other rifles to consider would be the Remington 700 series, Winchester Model 70 and Ruger. If you have someone knowledgeable to help you inspect your intended purchase, you could even consider buying a used rifle at considerable savings.
wiersy111

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

I have to say that the 30-06 can be a bit intimidating with the recoil but it is one of the best all around calibers. The 270 is also a very good caliber for almost any game you will likely encounter.

Each gun is different as far as recoil goes I have shot 308's and 30-06, that hurt bad enough that I didn't want to shoot more then 3 or 4 shots.

My son and I each have a Weatherby Vanguard. Mine is a 7mm Rem Mag that I paid $325.00 for, it is very accurate and has very little recoil. I can sit there and put 50 rounds through it shooting in a t shirt. My son has the Stainless Vanguard in the 257 Weatherby that cost him about $500.00. That gun will put 3 shots touching every time if the shooter can do their part. And again it has very little recoil. The 257 Weatherby ammo is expensive to shoot though. The last vanguard I looked at was $350.

I have Remington's, Ruger's, and Smith & Wesson high Powers all very good accurate guns. I have been shooting my 30-06 since I was about 10 years old but I was raised around guns since I was born. The key is to find the gun that fits you and feels the best. My daughter's Remington Mod 7 7mm-08 is to short for me thus resulting in me getting kicked because I don't hold it right.

All in all I would recommend the Vanguard as it is a good accurate gun. And like Grumulkin said if you have some one with experience you can find very nice used rifles at good prices, it will take some shopping around though.

Good luck.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

I'm sure we have a member or two from the same area/State as Okami...maybe they would be interested in giving the young fella a hand...even if only a phone call or email to guide him towards a place to get a good honest deal.

Don't forget fellas...young guys like Okami are the future of our sport and any extra assistance we can give can only benefit us as a whole.

Cheers (that's Coke by the way...no alcohol for the young'uns)

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
wiersy111

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

+1 Vince That would be a great way for a youngster to find what he needs to be successful. If you are in the central Minnesota are I would love to sit you down at the range with each my rifles so you could test drive them. I think that any member would be more then happy to help you out.

I know there are a couple members from Idaho.

US ARMY RETIRED

The original point and click interface was a Smith & Wesson.

Being "Over the Hill" is much better then being under it!
rdncktink

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Agree. try some out. the guys that work at the gun shops love to help the next generation. some might even help out with deals if it's one you regularly visit. that's how my mom got her 30-30, it was a place we spend time at.

Okami
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Thank you Vince, Wiersy111 and Rdncktink. I was wondering how good is Mossberg? Confused I went to Wal-mart and met a guy he was saying that Remington 700 is a good rifle, and to (if i can) get an old Mauser, but I looked at a web site for a gun shop in the Idaho area and there more then he said, how good are they? How good are Rem 700's, and should I look into getting one of those? How are 25-06 rounds, are they good for elk?

Last edited by Okami on Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
English Mike

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Savage rifles with the Accutrigger probably offer the best value for money there is.
Some people dismiss them as ugly but who cares when they're consistently more accurate than their rivals?

Caliber depends on the quarry & I'd say that .270Win & upwards is going to cover pretty much anything except small game & vermin.
Grumulkin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Beginner rifle Reply with quote

Okami wrote:
I went to Wal-mart and met a guy he was saying that Remington 700 is a good rifle, and to (if i can) get an old Mauser, but I looked at a web site for a gun shop in the Idaho area and there more then he said, how good are they? How good are Rem 700's, and should I look into getting one of those? How are 25-06 rounds, are they good for elk?

I've had a couple of Remington 700 rifles and like them quite a bit. I don't have one now only because I've gone to switch barrel guns which are a bit out of your price range.

The 25/06 has even less recoil than the 270 Winchester and I like it. I would use it for elk without hesitation but many wouldn't since they consider it a bit on the light side. If you were to use it for elk, bullet placement and the type of bullet used would be especially important.

I shot a deer with a 25/06 in 2008 using a Berger VLD bullet which hit the back of the left rear leg and killed it. The point is, that with the proper bullet, the 25/06 has plenty of penetration but you might not be able to buy ammo off the shelf with the type of bullet you want for elk hunting. There is a better selection of ammo intended for big game hunting in 270 Win. and 30/06 cartridges.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Big Game Hunting
Page 1 of 2