Coppermine Stats
Photo Albums
 Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets
Discussion regarding the reloading of ammunition and tuning of loads for accuracy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
packnheat
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:21 pm    Post subject: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

I am trying to find some reloading data for the Barnes Triple Shock X (TSX) bullet. I will be loading the 165 grain bullet in a 30-06 using IMR 4064 powder. Everything I am reading says load it the same as any other leaded bullet, but I have also been told that all copper bullets should not be loaded as hot because they build more pressure. I have really had good luck with IMR 4064 powder in this gun so I am really wanting to start my loads with this powder first. Also, need the cartridge O.A.L. as this bullet is longer than traditional leaded bullets.
Azar

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

Best piece of advice I can give here: Email Barnes directly (email@barnesbullets.com)

They have top notch support that will give you the info that you need. I've emailed them twice, once to get load data for 6.5x55 and the other for 7mm Rem Mag. Both times they have responded by 9AM the next morning with a PDF that contained data for all bullet weights for the caliber in question. You can't ask for better than that.
packnheat
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

Azar,
Thanks, I will do that. I have ordered their reloading manual, but it won't be in untill next week.

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

I thought Barnes had loading info on there website for the tsx but there site isn't up right now it says there in a transition stage and will be back up after the new year Sad . I would email them as well.

Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
chambered221

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

From Barnes #4 manual

30-06 Springfield
165gr. TSX
IMR 4064
min. 46.5 @ 2594
max. 50.0 @ 2801
COAL 3.218

They only offer a limited amount of data on their website !!!

A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government.
~George Washington
packnheat
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Shrpshtrjoe and Chambered221. I got interested in the all copper bullets because I hunt elk in Arizona. Seems that the lead free bunny huggers are spreading east and I did not want to get caught off guard if Arizona changes their laws to be more like California, especially since the condors are in the area that I hunt in Arizona (seems as though that {the Condors} is the excuse that California is giving for becomming a lead free bullet state)

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.

Thomas Jefferson
Azar

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

The website is likely down because it was announced that Freedom Group, Inc (the company that owns Remington) has purchased Barnes Bullets. They are likely redesigning their website to reflect the changes.
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

Azar wrote:
it was announced that Freedom Group, Inc (the company that owns Remington) has purchased Barnes Bullets.

Wow, that is a big chance! I hope it doesn't affect their product. Wonder if they will still sell bullets to Federal for the Premium Ammo?
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

packnheat wrote:
Everything I am reading says load it the same as any other leaded bullet, but I have also been told that all copper bullets should not be loaded as hot because they build more pressure.

Barnes Copper bullets build more pressure if they are up against the lands. For best results, they should be .030 to .050 back. My accuracy improved when I went from .025 to .050 back.

With the bands on the side of the bullet there is less copper against the barrel and thus less internal friction. My .270 loads with Barnes TSX bullets take up to 3 grains of powder more are 100+ fps faster than typical lead core bullets.
slimjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

packnheat wrote:
Also, need the cartridge O.A.L. as this bullet is longer than traditional leaded bullets.

Don't think of them as longer than lead-core bullets just lighter. Copper bullets are about 18% lighter than lead-core bullets of the same length. Your overall cartridge length will not be longer because they still have to fit in the magazine and because the Barnes bullets like to be back from the lands, may even have a slightly shorter OAL.
packnheat
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

Thanks for all the good info from everyone. I am new to the all copper bullets and you hear a lot of rumors out there. I do not want to do something as serious as reloading without knowing for sure! Chambered221, Shrpshtrjoe, Azar, and Slimjim, Thanks Again for the info. I did e-mail Barnes Bullets and they sent me complete data for all their 30-06 bullets. Just so happens that the bullet/powder combo that I have chosen is the one they recommend for accuracy in the 165-168 weight. I will be loading up some tonight and heading to the range tomorrow.

Thomas Jefferson
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

Glad ya got your info. Let us no how they shoot Sniper

Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
packnheat
Rookie Member
Rookie Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Barnes Triple Shock X Bullets Reply with quote

Anyone out there need the reloading info for Barnes bullets, let me know and I will scan and e-mail it to you.

Thomas Jefferson
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Reloading Ammunition
Page 1 of 1