· Comments: 86

Remington ?
Discussions related to Guns and Firearms
Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shrpshtrjoe
Super Red Neck Member
Super Red Neck Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:30 pm    Post subject: Remington ? Reply with quote

Howdy. I talked to a buddy of mine that just left a local Gun shop and was told that remington has fired all there East Coast sales reps Shocked and that remington is not doing very well at all. I figured i would pass along the local scuttle butt, and see if anyone else has heard anything.
Joe

P E T A
People Eating Tasty Animals
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

I think something like this happened as well in 1999/2000? Confused Did they do it again? wtf

calsibley

PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Hello Joe,

They are also in financial trouble and can't meet their obligation to the employees pension fund. I suspect this is a purposely designed problem on their part. Why they created it I don't know. I recently purchased a Remington 700BDL in .25-06. That's no longer an inexpensive firearm. In addition to the initial cost I had the action glass bedded, barrel floated and trigger worked on, altogether an additional expense of $250. before getting the rifle to the range. It doesn't shoot worth a damn. I've been test firing rifles for years and prety well know my stuff in this regard yet I cannot get less than 1 1/3" groups at 100yds. If I send it back to Remington they'll only say it falls within their guidelines. Nonsense, I have a gunrack full of Remingtons and they all fire better than this one. They're having this problem with many of their rifles judging by the complaints expressed on the web. I guess bean counters and lawyers don't make decent shooting firearms. Maybe they should hire some machiniusts and gunsmiths instead. It's the last Remingtoin that'll come into my house. Sorry to plague you with this Joe, but I'm really spiting venom over it. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
Shomebigbores

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Cal,

I bought an autoloader Remington years ago in 30-06 and it never would shoot worth a %$&()+

I swore off Remingtons because of that, and I already liked Winchester and Browning. Last year I was buying gas and a guy that needed money sold me an old 700 in 270 for 100 bucks. 6524494 serial number. I just figured I had been suckered, but cleaned it up and took it to the desert. I decided I would keep it. I am not sure any rifle would outshoot my model 70 in 300 Winchester Mag, but this Remington would be close as far as shot groups. I have to shorten the length of pull, but I have learned that all manufacturers have lemons just like the auto manufacturers. I suppose that a bolt action vs. auto might have made some difference.

Just a thought,

Walt

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill
Coyote_Hunter_

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Tomorrow I get to shoot my 'new' Remington BDL .308Win for the first time. The way you guys talk I'm thanking God it was made in 1975!

Dimitri

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Atleast Remington isnt firing off everyone that works for them right ?? Neutral

I mean didnt Winchester go bankrupt 2 times so far ?? I'm sure that would have cost more jobs then these lay offs Confused

Well I'll keep buying both slowly to grow my collection of 2 guns (FN49 and a 870 Slug gun). After all if they dont get sales they'll need to layoff or go bankrupt agian Wink

Dimitri
Crackshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Every one I know at the club shoots Rem actions or whole rifles, I prefer Winchester Mod 70's, they shoot very well right out of the box and are not that expensive. My Win Model 70 Stealth Heavy Barrel 308 shoots into the same hole at 200 yds with only trigger work, It came from the factory with fully floated barrel and pillar bedding, and an adjustable trigger.
Remington has made and lost there reputations with the workmanship going down hill on there factory rifles. I'll stick with Winchester rifles.
View user's profile ICQ Number AIM Address MSN Messenger Yahoo Messenger Photo Gallery
515034s10ring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Crackshot wrote:
Every one I know at the club shoots Rem actions or whole rifles, I prefer Winchester Mod 70's, they shoot very well right out of the box and are not that expensive. My Win Model 70 Stealth Heavy Barrel 308 shoots into the same hole at 200 yds with only trigger work, It came from the factory with fully floated barrel and pillar bedding, and an adjustable trigger.
Remington has made and lost there reputations with the workmanship going down hill on there factory rifles. I'll stick with Winchester rifles.

I see many rem actions mostly because it's generic, widely available, and easily broken down when things often break. An old friend of mine swore by rem until he shot a few of my Winchesters and never turned back. Also many of the precision shooters i know leave the (and i have nothing against rem) remingtons for the hunters because too much has happened with reliability under stress.

Usually Winchester, H-S Precision, Dakota, Savage, Weatherby, and Ed Brown are what i see a lot of, by the people that do it for a living Cool

Crackshot

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

I know a few custom rifle builders, they say the remington rifles are prefered because they have a Round receiver, easyer to machine and set up your lathe around them.Winchesters are not round.

POP!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

All I can say is that my friends and I are ALL disappointed in their Custom Shop rifles. Not 1 shot good...even after being returned to them for repair!

moose2

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

In my opinion only, from what I've seen in the new Ruger's and Remingtons, they must be making them in a High School shop class. The Tikka's and Browning are great, but expensive, the Savage's shoot very well and the best value out there today.--tr

515034s10ring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Crackshot: Yup, you are absolutely correct, Rems are easier to work on and mostly (i'm sorry to say) novice smiths learn and apprentice on them. Untill you are good enough in building/machining, THEN you can make a Rem sing, (and IMHO a Winchester better). Although another reason is the safety position which makes a rem easy as well.
Winchesters are not hard to work at all though, it boils down to expierence in an ultimate sence.
But, the shape really doesn't matter, it all goes in the bridgeport/lathe the same way but when it comes to tramming the machine, that's where a gunsmith shows value because smooth straight lines and silk actions come in.....not +or- .001 off!

POP!!: What was the biggest let down from Remington is when about 6 maybe close to 7 years ago. I ordered a custom titanium 700 from them and was just sickened by the nasty tool marks left on a 2k rifle! Plus the fact the bolt race was filled with burrs and tool marks as well.

If i ever do decide to buy a Rem (rifle) again, it's going have to be pre-99 because that's when things seemed to go down hill.....and fast.

7mmREMMAG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

I just bought a Rem 7400 270 autoloader and a Rem 710 300 win mag bolt action and i have no complaints they both shoot good and straight Iv also just bought a shotgun made by a company called Spartan by remington 12 GA over and under to shoot trap with and it is a great shooting gun to For you guys that like shotguns you need to check these guns out they are nice
www.spartangunworks.com/home.htm

Last edited by 7mmREMMAG on Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Meeker

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Back in early spring, 2005, I bought a brand new Rem. 700 VSF in 22-250. It came with an HS Precision stock, heavy fluted barrel, etc. Should have been a tack driver right out of the box. Took it to the range, and I could not get better than 2 inches from a rest. Got home, took the gun apart, and it looked like a 10 year old with a hammer and dull chisel bedded the aluminum bedding block to the action. It truly was sickening to see a brand new rifle come out of the box this way. I have been an exclusive remington shotgunner for years, but after seeing this, and hearing the simmilar stories from many others, I don't know if I will ever support Rem. again. Mad Mad Mad
LittleMagnum

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Remington ? Reply with quote

Meeker...not sure if your VSF has one of the bolt lock safety, this was giving inconsistant lock time (Remmington claim to fame), The new 700's made in 2005, went back to pre bolt safety. I bought a CDL 700 in 35 whelen when they first came out in the fall of 2004, too bad in has the bolt lock. The new CDL 700's or all new 700's don't have it. ..I have a older VSSF in 308 and that one was put together right.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Gun & Firearm Discussions
Page 1 of 2