Albums: 308
 Pictures: 2451
  · Views: 820725
  · Votes: 1316
  · Comments: 86

Going Camping for a "long" weekend.
Discussions run-amok, innane banter it all goes here
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

So going to head out to camp with the girlfriend for this weekend, did my final pre-trip check.

Based on the time we get there for the backcountry hike, and the time we leave, its 73 hours (down to the nearest half hour Laughing ) and a total of 36km/22mi of back country hiking to do.

I think I got everything. Its pretty much all in my pack, all shes carrying is the water filter, her breakfasts and dinners plus a change of clothes and the foam ground mats, everything else is in my pack. So mine is about 4 times heavier then hers. I didn't take out my camera yet (no not the SLR still in the mail, but have a 35mm point and shoot, and a disposable camera in the pack too now.

Mind you I think if a BOB-afficinato saw this bag, he'd claim I am missing the nessisary axe, folding shovel, huge fixed blade knife, swiss army knife, FUBAR, saw and last but not least a small fixed blade in this pack. Very Happy

Dimitri

gelandangan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

Have fun D, and don't forget the insect repellent.

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
PaulS

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

The best insect repellent is a couple of sofener sheets for the drier.
What I didn't see is enough food for you for the three days and the three day reserve food for both of you...... Old habits.
I suppose the gun will be on your hip?
Paul

So and So's pages on the internet = NOT reliable loading data
Always check data against manuals
NEVER exceed maximum listed loads
Dimitri

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

Geland,

It is right next to my sun glasses.

Paul,

We will be hiking a trail, at a provincial park, no guns allowed. And while, it doesn't appear to be enough food, I planned it out, so between the snacks, and meals, there is about 2,250 calories for both me and her a day each. That plastic container, under the drink crystals is energy/granola bars about 300 calories each alone. Decided not to stop to eat lunch on the trail and instead just keep walking as the trip distances per day are 13km/8mi at most which is only a few hours walk anyways.

Yes I did plan just in case if something went wrong. But the extra weight seemed unnecessary due to the specific situation. Otherwise I always plan for 48 hours additional supplies, even on day hikes.

But I got to be honest, this is a well worn trail in a larger park. And its only about 1-3 hours hike to the nearest road if something did happen (based on the distance from the trial loop at any given point and the terrain to the road using a Topomap and satellite photos), so with the compass alone I can be sure I'll "exit" the trial system early if necessary. But yes I am bringing the map with me too.

Dimitri

dhc4ever

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

You forgot the bells and pepper spray for the bears Smile
And a folding knfe always comes in handy, no not for bears.
Here we would carry more water,but if its plentyful where you are and have a filter thats not required.
Enjoy the trip.

Dont do anything you wont like explaining to the paramedics..............
Elvis

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

I see 1 pair of jeans???
I realise you are going with your lady friend but where are your clothes? Embarassed
we dont usually use jeans in the outdoors as they are no good when wet.
If you are wearing your sole change of clothes where is the big raincoat/warm jacket for just in case?
Double sleeping bag? Very Happy I only ask because Ive been guilty of forgeting a bag TWICE Embarassed Embarassed . hope it all goes well. Very Happy

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

Good points Elvis...and I've done the same...forgotten a sleeping bag in the past. Surprising how cold it can get at night after a long day walking.

I am not sure I agree with your projected needs of only 2,250 calories for a day mate. Having spent a long time in the Army, and done more than my fair share of pack humping through the bush, I know that you will need more than that mate...unless you plan on making use of bush tucker as well.

'Mitri...you still need a folding shovel mate...it's "painful" trying to dig a "cat scratch" with a desert spoon mate. Speaking of which...I don't see any "date roll", "bum fodder"...toilet paper mate...a definite "must have".

Apart from all of the above mate...you get out there and make the most of the seclusion and peace of the bush with your lovely lady. Enjoy your walk and the time alone in a beautiful area.

Post a link or Lat / Long to the track you are gonna walk mate...be interesting to have a look at the country.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Dimitri

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

dhc4ever wrote:

Shes carrying the pepper spray in the pouch on her belt, cause she wanted to, I myself have been camping in Ontario for 12 years and have never seen a bear near any of my camp sites or trails. I must be doing something wrong according to the "Be on the look out for bears" posters. Very Happy

dhc4ever wrote:
And a folding knfe always comes in handy, no not for bears.

I carry a Swiss Army knife in my pocket 24/7, so I'm treating that as my folder. And on the belt, not in the pack I carry a LMF II while hunting and camping.

dhc4ever wrote:
Here we would carry more water,but if its plentyful where you are and have a filter thats not required.

I am carrying 4L of water, using a 3L hydration bladder and the 1L hard bottle, if you notice, its the "long" green colored bag attached from the bottom to the top of the frame behind the pack. She also has a 3L hydration bladder in her bag.

Elvis wrote:
If you are wearing your sole change of clothes where is the big raincoat/warm jacket for just in case?

No, this is the spare change of clothes, like the knifes I normally carry on my person, are not in the picture, cause well I'm wearing them. Very Happy

The jacket is to the left in the picture, the brownish colored one.

Vince wrote:
I am not sure I agree with your projected needs of only 2,250 calories for a day mate.

You might be right, but I've actually, went back to being "skinny" the last few months, at a size 34 waist and 190 pounds. I have not been able to eat as much as I used to ever since. Sad

Vince wrote:
Speaking of which...I don't see any "date roll", "bum fodder"...toilet paper mate...a definite "must have"..

In her pack. Wouldn't leave home with out it. Laughing

Vince wrote:
Apart from all of the above mate...you get out there and make the most of the seclusion and peace of the bush with your lovely lady. Enjoy your walk and the time alone in a beautiful area.

I hope so Vince, just hope I don't over work her hiking too much.

PM inbound Vince, and I'll see you all on Monday leaving now.

Dimitri

gelandangan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

Eh show us your water filter D,
I use an aquamira, what do you use?

Do - Not try!

gelandangan.weebly.com/
English Mike

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

dhc4ever wrote:

I have heard they prefer Famous Grouse & steak seasoning..... Very Happy
Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

gelandangan wrote:
Eh show us your water filter D,
I use an aquamira, what do you use?

Sorry for the delay just got back from camp Geland, I got a MSR MiniWorksEX.

Dimitri

Dimitri

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

So here is the map we did:

The time taken is from camp to camp, including all stops along the way (rest or otherwise), picking up permits the first day, and the 3rd days buying new permits and stopping at the store before getting to the site.

Brought along extra food last minute due to the recommendations above, but ended up carrying food home anyways as ....

I was planning on stopping on day 3 (yesterday) near Provoking Lake (has a 432 in the center of it on the map) on that night, on the West side as we stayed on the East side the first night.

But the girlfriend wanted to push forward and get to the developed camp sites with showers and running water for car campers. Which was fine, there is a store, so I left her there as I bought new permits for the night, and ended up buying some bacon wrapped frozen steaks ("Cowboy Steaks" as they are marketed here, comes in a 6 pack of the round steaks with bacon 3" or so in diameter 2" thick) and some frozen vegetable mix for her, plus a cheese cake, some apples and watermelon. Very Happy

But I only had a pot and my WhisperLite International stove, which as anyone who used one can tell you only has 2 settings, off, and boil the living daylights out of anything in 30 seconds or less. So I had to boil the meat like a stew but came out well none the less.

And today in the morning she went shopping for food as I did it the night before, got more of the "Cowboy" Steaks but with a full marinated BBQ rib rack, more watermelon and egg noodles. Normally she doesn't like to eat much meat but she seemed to develop a appetite for it after hiking. So I was plenty shocked her bringing back so much meat, in a good way though. Confused

Got on the bus home, and I got a Triple Burger combo (A&W Grandpa burger) for each of us. Cool

And now I am home, I hope you'll excuse the bad photoshop job. Laughing

I have pictures, will post once I get them developed this week.

Dimitri

Vince
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

That is magnificent mate...I'm glad you guys had an enjoyable weekend hiking.

Do you have a little hotplate for your stove...or a small skillet? Are you allowed to light fires in that area? A small campfire, contained within a rock circle, with a little grate over it would have been perfect for those steaks mate.

Might be worth having a look at different methods of cooking mate. Your current stove is a pretty good unit mate...so maybe you need to have a play with it to become more conversant with it's limitations.

Can't beat a nice hot wood fire and hot coals for cooking meat though.

Cheers, Vince

Illegitimi non carborundum
(Never let the bastards grind you down)

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.

"Nulla Si Fa Senza Volonta."
(Without Commitment, Nothing Gets Done)
Elvis

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

D I cheat with the meat and usually take savaloys as they can be chopped up and put in the same pot as your noodles/mixed vege/mash potato without any hassle. with a little butter/margerine and a ex army dixie cooking steak or sausages isnt too hard even with a hot cooker you just hang on to the handle and provide a little elevation to lower the heat. good to hear you had a good trip and who knows if she is eating meat when tramping take venison steak next time and get her addicted.

Dimitri

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Going Camping for a "long" weekend. Reply with quote

Vince wrote:
That is magnificent mate...I'm glad you guys had an enjoyable weekend hiking.

I got to be honest, it was a great time, shes a trooper, half expected her to turn around the first night, as the "middle of no where" isn't for everyone and it was her first camping trip period, shes never spent a night outside, even in a cabin, let alone a tent a few kilometers from the nearest person.

But she liked it, and getting to the developed camp ground let her enjoy the whole situation greatly, so I think I will have to plan around 2-3 day backcountry hikes in the future with the 3rd night at a good camp for her.

Vince wrote:
Do you have a little hotplate for your stove...or a small skillet?

I do, but guess where it spent the weekend? On my desk as I didn't foresee the need for it as I packed my bag thinking it was going to be all freeze dried foods for the weekend. Embarassed

Vince wrote:
A small campfire, contained within a rock circle, with a little grate over it would have been perfect for those steaks mate.

Very true, a fire is allowed, but again had nothing but a small pot I brought to boil water to cook with. But as I said before, next time I will plan for this outcome better.

Vince wrote:
Your current stove is a pretty good unit mate...so maybe you need to have a play with it to become more conversant with it's limitations.

Well lifting up the pot makes it boil water less quickly, etc, but the speed it boils is fine, as I chopped up the meat into little 1" cubes, and it only takes a minute for the meat to be fully cooked in the high temperature. Took about 5-7 minutes to boil Saturday's dinner from frozen with the stove and my tiny 700ml pot, and a little more time for Sunday morning.

Dimitri

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page    Forum Index » Spam-O-Rama
Page 1 of 2