Cross bow V Compound - which one gents!
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:25 pm
    ----
I went out yesterday and tried this archery caper, we got a new range and hunting outfit about 20 minutes from home, cost me $15 for the best fun Ive had in a long time, I was shooting a 50lb compound bow without sights and getting 6 - 8 inch groups out to 25 meters within 3 hours. It appealed to me as there are many similarities to rifle shooting, just a whole new experience. Had an absolute ball but now I think I have a bug that needs feeding. I obviously want to use one hunting but whats best, its sounds to me that everyone does have an opinion or do I save my cash and splash out and buy both!.
In NZ there is no limit or season with Bow so thats no issue, I can hunt everything from rats to deer and fish species as well.
I expect like firearms there isn't one weapon that will do all.
I look forward to some good robust discussion on this!
Radar

#2: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:09 pm
    ----
Hmmm....a topic that's been known to start a argument from time to time !!!

There's something about drawing a bow to full draw, holding it and releasing that arrow at precisely the right time that gives me a sense of accomplishment and pride that's not there with a cross bow.

#3: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:24 pm
    ----
I'm with chambered. However, some of the new cross bows have 3 or 4 times the effective range. If your hunting time is limited, this may be a trump card.

#4: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm
    ----
Make sure they are legal in all the places you want to hunt. They arent legal in my state.

-DallanC

#5: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:36 pm
    ----
do you still have a range beside the road just over the waikato river bridge in Hamilton??
I would say go with the compound option and get along to a local club there are some very very clever archers around more than happy to help.

#6: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: 10spotterminatorLocation: Redmond, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:42 pm
    ----
Compound vote here. Much more intense and gratifying . I Opted to bowhunt for as many years as my body would allow and had moments in the field that never would have been possible with a crossbow. If possible join a local archery club and get into some 3d shooting if there are any ranges to be had in your neck of the woods. A great time to be had by one and all for sure and certain.

10 Spot

#7: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:55 am
    ----
I use both Very Happy ... A crossbow can be difficult to re-cock from some tree stands....Use the one that suits your hunting style..

#8: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:11 pm
    ----
I was a finger, instinctive shooter to start with. For more consistency, I switched to a mechanical release and peep sight. Boy did my accuracy improve. Felt like I lost some situational awareness since I was no longer two eyes open.

#9: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 11:15 pm
    ----
I use compound bow, crossbows are illegal in NSW Oz.

#10: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:15 pm
    ----
Why not use a compound crossbow?
Are they made at hunting strengths?
How much pull is too much with a crossbow and how much is too little to hunt with?

I am planning on making another crossbow and thinking of a compound setup with extended range in mind.

#11: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:50 pm
    ----
check that you are allowed to bow hunt in your D.O.C area as you cant down here.

#12: Re: Cross bow V Compound - which one gents! Author: eeyouelderLocation: Quebec PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:46 am
    ----
In Québec, we can hunt deer, bear, caribou or moose with either bow or crossbow. The bow must have a minimum draw weight of 40 pounds (18kg) within an extension of 28 inches (71cm) and the arrow must have an arrow head with a cutting diameter of at least 7/8 inches (22mm). If a crossbow is used it must have a draw weight of 120 pounds at a minimum extension of 10 inches (25cm), the arrow (bolt) must be at least 16 inches (40cm) in length with an arrow head that has a cutting diameter of 7/8 inches (22mm).
We used to be allowed only bows to hunt these four games. People used to get a doctor’s opinion in writing stating that because of a physical handicap they could not draw a bow and therefore could obtain a ministerial dispensation and could use a crossbow during bow only hunting season. We were up with slightly over 10 000 handicapped hunters using crossbows in the province, when the government introduced the crossbow hunting season at the same time as the bow hunting season, and by so doing got rid of the ‘handicapped’ reason. Today only a few hunters use bows as most use crossbows for that type of hunting. I still use a bow as I find the challenge to be slightly greater.
To hunt with bow the hunter has to take a course and prove that he can hit the vitals at 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 meters. Three ‘D’ big game targets are used.
To hunt with crossbows the hunter has to take the same bow/crossbow course but is not required to prove his marksmanship.

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting