scope covers
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: scope covers Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 9:15 pm
    ----
Im sure this has been covered before but after the frustration last weekend trying to shoot wallabies with misty rain making for crappy visibility (my excuse and Im sticking to it Very Happy Very Happy ) I decided I needed some scope covers after all. normally I avoid them like the plague but as my 10 year old chest waders had a big hole in the right boot and werent getting used. I chopped off the boots and sliced off a couple of big bands from the leg section and wahlah Very Happy I now have a nice wee cover for the 4x32mm and a big fat one for the 3-9x50mm...now what will my excuse will be????? scope was still covered probably Very Happy Very Happy

#2: Re: scope covers Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:41 am
    ----
Photos or it never happened. Very Happy

#3: Re: scope covers Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 3:52 am
    ----
allrighty then....
the light brown on them is lake opuha mud that stuff sticks like a crappy nappy to Grandmas best rug.

#4: Re: scope covers Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:04 am
    ----
Are these what they call bikini-scope-covers?

#5: Re: scope covers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:15 am
    ----
I bet those work better than the ones I made. I used an old nylon camo poncho and it ended up absorbing water.

#6: Re: scope covers Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:16 am
    ----
I use Butler Creek covers. The "flip up" kind.

#7: Re: scope covers Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:15 am
    ----
Very Happy I'm with Bushy on the butler creeks!Made here in oregon I believe(not that it ever would rain here) !!! wtf

#8: Re: scope covers Author: Ominivision1Location: Iowa PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:24 am
    ----
I'll 2nd or 3rd that on the butler creek covers, excellent scope covers.

#9: Re: scope covers Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 2:43 pm
    ----
Well, I also use the butler creek covers.
Very Happy

Great fixup Elvis, quick and effective..
Ok, so how dya carry them when using the gun?

#10: Re: scope covers Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 4:48 pm
    ----
I use Butler Creek covers too but when it's pouring rain they don't do much good as a shield, you need something that extends over the lenses like a hood. The flip up covers work well while you're carrying through wet bushes and trees but if you're hunting in the pouring rain, you flip up the cover and the lenses are exposed. You need a hood like a ball cap for your eye glasses. That's the way I made mine anyway.

#11: Re: scope covers Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 6:23 pm
    ----
Aloysius wrote:

Bikini covers are two caps joined by thin elastic straps.

What Elvis has made might better be described as Burkha scope covers. Very Happy

#12: Re: scope covers Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 7:04 pm
    ----
I had flipups but broke them off in brush while trying to get a better firing position. I use bikini's now... got mine on closeout for a couple bucks.

-DallanC

#13: Re: scope covers Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:33 pm
    ----
gelandangan wrote:
Well, I also use the butler creek covers.
Very Happy

Great fixup Elvis, quick and effective..
Ok, so how dya carry them when using the gun?
well you can rip them off and stickem in your pocket or it seems leave them hanging on the front half hanging off to the side,thats how they are in the cabinet anyways Very Happy

#14: Re: scope covers Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:28 am
    ----
English Mike wrote:
Aloysius wrote:

Bikini covers are two caps joined by thin elastic straps.

What Elvis has made might better be described as Burkha scope covers. Very Happy

aren't they with a little peephole in the middle?
Or do you prefer the modern (bunny) version with only the eyes covered and the rest uncovered? Smile

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions