AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:43 am
    ----
Ran across this on another forum

click on the web page name for link

Web Page Name

In October of 2012, LA-based photographer Sabine Pearlman found herself ensconced in a Swiss WWII bunker photographing 900 different “specimens” of cross sectioned ammunition. Her resulting photo series, AMMO, shows the beauty and craftsmanship that went into creating these destructive little pieces of engineering.

Pearlman “strives to create a poetry of images by synergizing the ‘big picture’ with the small details.” Insofar as her AMMO series is concerned, that means the juxtaposition of beauty and destruction.

The photos themselves are fascinating to look at, but the series is meant to evoke more than that:

The cross-sections reveal a hidden complexity and beauty of form, which stands in vast contrast to the destructive purpose of the object. It is a representation of the evil and the beautiful, a reflection of the human condition.

Here is a selection of the 900 pieces she photographed for the series

Cheers Read Book Cheers

#2: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:08 pm
    ----
Excellent find..
Thanks mate!

#3: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:51 pm
    ----
Would have been nice if the shells were labeled by caliber and use .

#4: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:49 pm
    ----
some very interesting looking concepts there. thanks for sharing that.

#5: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:58 pm
    ----
Great stuff Pete...thanks mate.

#6: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:22 am
    ----
Interesting to see how many are boxer versus berdan.

#7: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 4:40 pm
    ----
The cartridges aren't from WWII
Only the place they are stored in is.

Some are Vietnam War era & others (eg. blue polymer) are much more recent.

#8: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:22 pm
    ----
seems like they were trying real hard to save money on gun powder. Ok, I give up, how did the middle one work? There is no powder under the primer.

#9: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:46 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
seems like they were trying real hard to save money on gun powder. Ok, I give up, how did the middle one work? There is no powder under the primer.

The one on the right looks like it'd be a female dog too load

#10: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:13 pm
    ----
the mother of invention aye???
that middle one looks like a great one for a subsonic/smoothbore load..no show of a tumble,the one on the right,they do something similar for the .12ga.

#11: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:02 pm
    ----
That lower middle round is a flechette (sp) round! What good would a single dart do? Maybe fired from a mini-gun? Looks to me like somebody's solution to an unidentified problem.......

#12: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:27 am
    ----
Upper left looks like some form of a "caseless" round? It looks to detach at the base and the whole thing goes down the bore. The upper right looks wooden.

Very strange some of these!

-DallanC

#13: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:41 pm
    ----
wtf I read an article on at least two of these(many) years ago!The flechette was designed by the germans for an experimental trial round for the nato trials of 5.56mm ammo to be adopted by nato,also I believe the stacked projectile round as well.The flechette was to have a MV over 4kfps(that would induce alot of hydrostatic shock)but the projectile was not that accurate for military purposes.However this particular cartride does not look like 5.56mm,I really don't know whos it is!The stacked round was ok for closer in combat-but did not have the energy needed or the accuracy at longer ranges.I could however imagine that the stacked projectile round would have worked well in door to door combat -when iraq was first stormed!

#14: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:34 pm
    ----
The Flachette is the XM216 Flechette which is 5.6x44mm for the SPIW program.

The one on the right looks like a modern version of the 30-06 triplex loads ...

Dimitri

#15: Re: AMMO: Cross Section Photos of Bullets Used During WWII Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 8:54 pm
    ----
I wonder whats the idea in having powder between the stacked projectiles?
To ensure better separation perhaps?

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions