reloading bench question
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: reloading bench question Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:26 pm
    ----
Tlo, if you are renting and going to move out one day, then I suggest to size your table so it would fit the door, It is a shame to make a good table and then have to break it apart if and when you move.

#17: Re: reloading bench question Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:39 pm
    ----
My bench is 2' deep and 4' wide, free standing. The frame is all 2x4s. Its braced with 1/4" plywood back and sides. The top is 3/4" plywood and there are 2x6s running under the top from front to back for the presses to mount to. I've never had any problem with stability or strength and a couple of people could move it easily (with the presses removed). It might be nice to have it a bit wider but it fits about any where.

#18: Re: reloading bench question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:15 am
    ----
Made of 2 X 4 framing. 1 X 6 facing. And a 2 X 8 for mounting the presses on. Everything is bolted or screwed together.

#19: Re: reloading bench question Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:46 pm
    ----
AH HA! I See someone else has a power trickler! Looks just like mine! Mine came from Midway but I think frankfort arsenal also made that same design.

What is that die holder thing to the left of the leftmost press? Did you make it yourself or just drill out angle iron for it?

-DallanC

#20: Re: reloading bench question Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:31 pm
    ----
I don't like your bench bushy.. too tidy and too much open space..

#21: Re: reloading bench question Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:16 pm
    ----
I don't like your bench bushy.. too tidy and too much open space..

ooops sorry....I got stuck...brain diarrhea or flu or something...Actually I like that flooring on the bench top and that towel covering the booze in the crate, looks Native American. Whose wadded up undies on the floor to the left? I noticed you only have labels on 3 of those plastic drawers, run out of labels? Is that yellow sticky note a grocery list? (Honey-do list?) Reminder to take your pills? I have a tape measure just like that one! and a compass like that one too! Are those condoms next to the compass? Do I spy a 24hr clock on the wall? What is that black rock-looking thing in front of those yellow boxes? Isn't there supposed to be a light bulb hanging all by itself or was that somebody else? Don't remember just now. Anyway at least you have the condoms handy....

#22: Re: reloading bench question Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:37 pm
    ----
Holy crap...Too many questions.

Mr Dallan...Yup. Powder trickler from Midway. The resizing/decapping die rack is aluminum angle stock.

Suzanne...That is a old saddle blanket. The undies are crumpled up typing paper in my waste basket.Those are the only three drawers that have bullets in them and must be labled. Yellow post-it is loading data for a load I was working on. A tape measure just like that one? Boy, you ARE old. Had that compass sense my boy scout days with my son. Not condoms, a pocket calculator. Yup, 24 hour clock. That "black rock" is obsidian from the glass fields in up in the Three Sisters. Been there? Don't need condoms. Just like Vince...Shoot blanks.

#23: Re: reloading bench question Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:26 pm
    ----
So here is final design without the tablet op on the frame or the shelf. Also no back for it in this picture. but it will be held together with screws and bolts in all the right places and wood glue as well so this thing is going to be indestructible and certainly will not need to be replaced anytime soon. I have already cut the legs and built the frame for the top, I am going to build the frame for the bottom and cut the plywood on Friday so I should have this thing ready to go in my house this weekends which means more work as i will need to move my current bench, a desk and a bookshelf out in order to make it possible to put this thing in its place. I will also need to move all of the crap off of my current bench.

#24: Re: reloading bench question Author: tlo7mmLocation: Oregon PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:31 pm
    ----
oh I also forgot to mention that I have built my own powder thrower stands and will be posting a picture of them soon on here as well. They are ugly as sin and I oaky chromed them because I thought it was appropriate considering how ugly they. I think you guys will get a kick out of them I know I laugh every time I look at them.

#25: Re: reloading bench question Author: wncchester PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:07 am
    ----
An 8' bench will need center support no matter what you use for a top. 2x4 legs will do anything 4x4s can do for that job. Put a thin sheet of plywood on the back and each end, not only will the bench look better it will be vastly stiffer; 1/4" or even 1/8" ply paneling will do if you apply glue to the contact points.

Most people make loading benches that are too low to allow working the press without bending over. For goodness sake, start with a top that's maybe 44" high, it's easy to cut off a couple inches of leg if you wish but it's a beast to add height.

Put your lower front 2x4 shelf support on the backside of the legs to give yourself some shin bone room.

-> Reloading Ammunition