no wonder it was making funny noises
-> Spam-O-Rama

#1: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:16 pm
    ----
for all you mechanically minded folk
attached to a hydrolic motor INSIDE a round shaft,mated via rubber star shaped spacer/bush to matching piece attached to a shaft set in bearings also inside round shaft. bottom of shaft has spinner on it like an upside down umbrella. rotates at 850rpm 8-12 hours per day.
and yes it is supposed to be round!!!!!
this bit was on the shaft!!! I knew something was wrong as I could stop it spinning by hand.

#2: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:29 pm
    ----
Yep! 2 three point castings and a six point star (not really any points involved) make it a drive coupling. It should be a fairly inexpensive replacement for the whole assembly.

#3: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 5:29 am
    ----
What Paul said mate. By the way...I think it's knackered.

#4: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:00 am
    ----
Knackered? I guess that means "broken to the point of useless". Right?

#5: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:46 pm
    ----
Looks like the axle off my boat trailer last summer... bearings blew up on the way home, only centripital force keep the hub on the axle as it work it down... been it would have looked awesome by anyone following it! It had to have been sparking like crazy.

Anyway my axle was worn down about as much as that part shown above... crazy things can keep working so far beyond tolerances.

-DallanC

#6: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 1:32 pm
    ----
Knackered can mean any of the following depending on meaning required
-Worn
-Broken
-Tired
-Castrated Shocked

Hope your education in down under lingo continues….

#7: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 2:47 pm
    ----
When in doubt lubricate Elvis, lubricate.......

#8: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2013 10:37 pm
    ----
If you want to lubricate that kind of drive coupler use wax. Solid paraffin works. Don't use any grease or oil on it because the rubber will not tolerate it.

As for axle bearings I have a lubricant that will outlast the trailer. White lithium grease and Hilton's Hyperlube 50/50 by volume. The hyperlube is like STP oil treatment or motor honey any brand will do. It makes the white lithium grease flow when it gets warm and keeps the bearings cooler and well lubricated. It won't harden and lasts long enough that I used it only once when I got my trailer and never had to repack those bearings again.

To use the stuff just pack your bearings with the lithium grease like normal and then take the mixture and fill the space between the bearings about half full. Slip the hub on and use some Loc-tite #518 to seal the dust cap.

#9: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 2:37 am
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:
When in doubt lubricate Elvis, lubricate.......
my Hino truck had 23 grease nipples that I greased every day..every 2nd at worst. the shaft was full of grease probably a whole tube in her. new ...I mean brand spanking all the bells and whistles Scania has even more nipples for me to play with!!!!
thought you lot would get a laugh out of the state of this part...strange how it managed to move far enough out of alignment to start wearing at all.

#10: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 6:34 am
    ----
Paul...that mix you mention mate...sounds good. Do you mix the two "components" before packing the bearings or do you pack the bearings with the lithium grease and pour the Hyperlube (which I am assuming is the same as STP) into the hub before fitting the outer bearing?

#11: Re: no wonder it was making funny noises Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 7:31 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
Paul...that mix you mention mate...sounds good. Do you mix the two "components" before packing the bearings or do you pack the bearings with the lithium grease and pour the Hyperlube (which I am assuming is the same as STP) into the hub before fitting the outer bearing?

Pack the bearings with grease - they need it on the wear-in - and then mix the two and half fill the bearing cavity. The grease in the bearings will be absorbed into the mix and they will stay well lubed from then on.

-> Spam-O-Rama