Great Photo
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Photography / TrailCameras

#1: Great Photo Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:13 am
    ----
An Australian Wedge Tailed Eagle out fox hunting in Victoria, a southern State.

A very lucky picture.

#2: Re: Great Photo Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:41 am
    ----
a very unlucky fox. great image!

#3: Re: Great Photo Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:49 am
    ----
whole new meaning to a flying fox!!!!!!

#4: Re: Great Photo Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 12:33 pm
    ----
It would be nasty when the foxes get airborn...

#5: Re: Great Photo Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 2:35 pm
    ----
Foxes do get airborne down here, that photo proves it Razz

OTOH seriously, we do have flying foxes here, lucky their diet is mostly fruits.

#6: Re: Great Photo Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:52 am
    ----
Definitely a lucky shot for the photographer. Pretty crummy luck for the fox.
Nice pic. Very Happy

#7: Re: Great Photo Author: VictorianLocation: Melbourne PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:31 pm
    ----
for the non-antipodeans, an Australian Flying Fox a.k.a. fruit bat (one of the world's largest bats) and very common in places (can be pests - but generally protected). I get them feeding in my backyard trees. Drives my dogs nuts, but nice to see around.

#8: Re: Great Photo Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 8:04 pm
    ----
Thousands of the damn things here in Brisbane mate. Do not touch them or play with them in any way...the carry the deadly Lysavirus.

#9: Re: Great Photo Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:38 pm
    ----
That's a nasty one too! over a two year time period between infection and the onset of symptoms. If you get scratched or bitten you should opt for the antivirus treatment immediately.

The form of that virus group that we have in the states is just rabies and the symptoms are usually apparent in under 90 days - compared to your 27 months?!!!

#10: Re: Great Photo Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:40 pm
    ----
That fox-bat thing is an abomination!

If I saw something like that flying around here, it wouldn't be for long!

YUK!

#11: Re: Great Photo Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2014 5:29 pm
    ----
You don't just see one fruit bat, colonies usually have thousands and they all take off at sunset and return in the morning and make a hell of a noise and stink during the day.

Hendra virus is another nasty linked to them

#12: Re: Great Photo Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:57 am
    ----
I think Stovey is right on this one.
And when you cannot hit them during flight, there's always the possibility to try when they hang immobile during the day... in the last case be careful not to give too much lead... once your mind thinks like a shotgun, it supposes all things are moving...

Smile

#13: Re: Great Photo Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 9:34 am
    ----
I'm till gettin' the creeps! Might just blast my monitor! *CHACK-CHACK-BOOOM!*

#14: Re: Great Photo Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:01 pm
    ----
I like the looks of the flying fox. It's a vegetarian so it must be edible...

#15: Re: Great Photo Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 5:29 am
    ----
I am not sure I would refer to any creature created by God as an abomination, but I can understand how strange they may seem to us Americans. I wonder what the first folks who saw a rhinoceros, giraffe, or in our case an armadillo thought?

Many people eat these critters, saw some in the markets when I was in the Philippines, some fresh and some roasted on the fire. Wish now I had tried it, too late now and I suspect getting back to that part of the world is a little out of my reach today.

Still, I suspect Vince's recommendation is prudent, and were I hunting them for a roasted bat snack I would have some serious gloves with me. I wonder what the recommended marinade or sauce for roasted bat snacks is?

-> Photography / TrailCameras