How fast can you skin a deer
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: How fast can you skin a deer Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 4:58 pm
    ----
This guy is incredible . Skin and gutted in under 2 mins Shocked

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLXJ5hUeFYk

#2: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:27 pm
    ----
That guy has a INCREDIBLY sharp knife!

Couple things jump out, is that a whitetail or something else? It really didn't have much fat like our deer here. You really gotta work to peel'em. I'm also betting that thing hadn't been dead very long. I don't like cutting the intestine but that's just me, and how did he do around the butt/ genitals so fast?

The guy is really impressive how fast he did it!

-DallanC

#3: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:28 pm
    ----
Dangerous Dave...he did a good clean job too. I thought it was amazing he didn't cut himself or make a misstep. Interesting technique with the belly and gutting it. Single handedly he wiped out the guts and threw them in the can. That guy's good.

Suz

#4: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:34 pm
    ----
A professional meat worker me thinks.
Or he shoots a hell of a lot of deer.
A very well thought out procesing area.
Anyone count how many fingers he actually has?

#5: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:38 pm
    ----
Looks like the deer has been "blown" to detach the skin from the meat.
Regardless, it is a great feat... Awesome..

Always a pleasure to see someone who know what they are doing in action.

#6: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: moose2Location: North Idaho PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:29 pm
    ----
That guy is somewhat faster than I am. It usually takes me at least one cigar before I finish. Very Happy

#7: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 8:35 pm
    ----
You guys ever see a deer skinned with the ole Rock, Rope and truck? I never miss a chance to watch that rodeo... it always sounds like such a great idea, never really works out that way, entertaining to be on the sidelines for though!

-DallanC

#8: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:02 am
    ----
I'm beginning to understand why you so often turn a complete deer into sausages and burgers. We never gut and skin at the same time. We gut it a.s.a.p. and then put the whole deer in a fridge (at 4° C) for a few days. Still in the skin to prevent it drying out. Then skin and peal and process it further, but most of the time not into burgers nor sausages.

Here sausages and paté are made when you have to hide the meat...
or when you've lost all your teeth Smile

#9: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:36 am
    ----
He is quick, no two ways about that...but the skin wasn't worth a cracker when he finished. I like to take the skin off in one piece ready for tanning, but that's just me. As Dallan said...an incredibly sharp knife, but then again, you are kidding yourself and making hard work of it if your knife isn't razor sharp.

The way he gutted it is similar to the way we do it, only we take the pistle and anus first so that it "pulls through" with the rest of the gut.

I agree with Pete...this guy is a professional meat worker...his work area is too well setup to be a "once a year" show.

The "rock, rope and truck" method works well, seen professional 'roo shooters do 8 - 10 'roos like that in a few minutes. I've seen trucks set up with a starter motor, bicycle sprockets and long chain that runs the full length of the tray, used in the past for deer, but by the time you set the critter up you could have had at least half of it done by hand.

Last edited by Vince on Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total

#10: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 pm
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
We gut it a.s.a.p. and then put the whole deer in a fridge (at 4° C) for a few days. Still in the skin to prevent it drying out.

Some of the best deer meat I ever had was done similar !!!
I've always believed in letting it hang before processing.

#11: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:23 pm
    ----
Let him hang! There's some enzyme action going on when you let it hang and it helps with the flavor and tenderness. Aloys knows what he's doin, never heard about leaving the skin on, but it makes sense. I'd think it would be a real chore to skin it after bein cold though. My Mom used to wait till the meat was just about sour (sometimes it was) before she'd even think about cooking it. We always had the best tender meat too. Except when it was sour, then she'd salt it down and feed it to the dogs (poor things). They loved it though we had to taste it first.....ekkk

Suz

#12: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:03 am
    ----
Suz, and when it was 'sour', was it because it had been running a while before dying? Big game that's driven has mussles filled with lactic acid (think when bikers are talking about 'heavy legs').

#13: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:36 am
    ----
No Aloys, she let it sit there too long. Not really big amounts but enough to be wasteful. Her tongue doesn't work very well, so we had to tell her how much spice to put on and she's really a good cook (if she has a good taster). Actually I think it's her mood, she'd poison us if she didn't want to cook. I swear she's a dangerous person if she's mad.

Suz

#14: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:30 pm
    ----
But you survived...

here they say: "the best ones go first"
so be carefull when all the good ones are gone Smile

#15: Re: How fast can you skin a deer Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:05 pm
    ----
He is bloody quick theres no two ways about it, but that carcase had been air injected the way that skin came off. Also how was it killed, certainly not by a well placed bullet in the boiler room.
Im one to hang for a couple of days skinned either in a chiller or cool and dry to age the meat.
Burgers! what a waste- theres a some awesome steaks to be had off that, hit the barby, with whiskey and mushroom sauce, mmmmm I can taste it already.
Ill post the whiskey and mushroom sauce in recipes - trust me its a goody.

-> General