Good Times & Good Friends
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Good Times & Good Friends Author: vmaster59Location: West Tx. PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:11 pm
    ----
Monday a good friend of mine came over to go check water with me. Richard and I were pulling up to one of the water holes when I saw some hogs at the water. I stopped the truck and the two of us got out and walked up to the barns. I got out with what I had ready which was a 17 HMR. Richard had his 243 Win. I'd seen they were staying so I went back to the truck and got my AR-15 in 223 Rem. Got back up to the barns and made a plan to take two of them. I was on one side of the barn and Richard was on the other side. I take one on the left side and he take one on the right side. So with a ten count in play. I lined up one one through two fences and finished counting 7........8.......9........10! I let the AR bark. And sent a 55gr soft point down range. It found it's mark just below the right eye. Richard didn't have a shot due to the hogs moving before we got to the ten count. I will add this. I am not a big fan of the 55gr bullets. I have been trying some again. They do work good but I like a lighter bullet. A good time was had by all. I don't think the hog did but that's ok.

Clint

#2: Re: Good Times & Good Friends Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:50 pm
    ----
Well done Clint.

Personally, I think the 55gn in a .223 Rem is getting close to the best all round projectile weight. A mate who is a bit of a .223 not uses 52gn, 55gn, 62gn and 69gn...but his "go to" is usually the 55gn. When shooting hogs, I would be loathe to drop below 55gn...then bugger can be real tough, and the heavier the bullet, the more chance of dropping them cleanly.

#3: Re: Good Times & Good Friends Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:48 pm
    ----
the 50 grainers have rep for being softer and the trebly guys swear by them. Im happy to use what ever is in the mag on pigs and havent had issues yet.

#4: Re: Good Times & Good Friends Author: vmaster59Location: West Tx. PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:59 pm
    ----
I have drop a lot of hogs with Win 45gr HP. in both 223 Rem. and 22-250 Rem. I love Serria's 60gr #1375. in both as well. With great service in both cal. on hogs and coyotes,bobcats and Mt. Lions.

Clint

-> Varmint Hunting