Built a budget AR
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Built a budget AR Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:44 am
    ----
I wanted a cheap plinker AR15, one that you could let a scout troop burn cheap ammo in, not care if it gets scratched up and abused. I wasn't concerned with more than "popcan at 100 yards accuracy" as I planned to just use standard open sights.

Took a chance on a New Frontier Polymer lower, $109 fully shipped with lifetime warranty. What tipped the scale for me was their online "stress test" videos throwing one around, using it as a step, driving over it... looked pretty durable. Certainly took more abuse than what I'll ever put one through.

I bought a PTAC complete upper from PSA, they had a big sale a month ago and I picked one up for $309.

Mating the upper and lower was easy. Its a very nice snug fit. No wiggle, no gaps. I did find the charge handle was binding against the buffer tube mount, a few minutes with some light sandpaper took care of that.

I played around and painted the red over the safety settings with a tooth pick, that's not a factory thing.

We'll burn a few a bunch of ammo through it to break it in, but as is I'm pretty impressed with the poly lower. I'd certainly rather have a forged lower but its hard to beat the price on this.

-DallanC

#2: Re: Built a budget AR Author: Loke PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:03 am
    ----
Let us know how it stands up. I sell a ton of poly lowers, but am a bit leery on how well they will withstand normal use and abuse. Also, is that the one with the polymer trigger, sear, disconnector, etc.?

#3: Re: Built a budget AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:37 am
    ----
Nice rig, Dallan. Does it have chrome-lined barrel? I don't think there is any break-in on a chrome barrel. You just shoot them.

#4: Re: Built a budget AR Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:54 am
    ----
That will do just fine Dallan.. Can't have to many AR's Very Happy

#5: Re: Built a budget AR Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:07 pm
    ----
Loke wrote:
Let us know how it stands up. I sell a ton of poly lowers, but am a bit leery on how well they will withstand normal use and abuse. Also, is that the one with the polymer trigger, sear, disconnector, etc.?

Yep. Whats odd is that being all polymer, the trigger seems remarkably crisp. I may swap it out for a normal LPK but honestly I wanted something to let the kids / scouts burn cheap ammo through.

The barrel is not chrome lined, if we actually do burn it out (doubt it) a replacement is still pretty cheap.

-DallanC

#6: Re: Built a budget AR Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:05 pm
    ----
looks like you got what you were after.
it will be interesting to see how it lasts.

#7: Re: Built a budget AR Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:47 pm
    ----
Looks great! Very nice pictures. Thanks for sharing. All the best...
Gil

#8: Re: Built a budget AR Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:01 pm
    ----
I have a PCF polymer lower on a hunting rig I use for night hunting and it is holding up real well after three years. Polymer trigger is about as good as the RRA two stage you pay $135 for.

#9: Re: Built a budget AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:08 pm
    ----
Dawgdad wrote:
Polymer trigger is about as good as the RRA two stage

I may have to find and try one of these plastic units.

#10: Re: Built a budget AR Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:13 pm
    ----
I paid like $120 for a lower with collapsible stock. Like Dallan I though I would replace the trigger but it breaks very cleanly. It is not like my Geissele's but way better than a stock military single stage.

#11: Re: Built a budget AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:30 pm
    ----
I do two things to improve my AR stock triggers. I run them through my .22 LR for 1000+ rounds and do a 15-min trigger job. They work pretty nice after that but I think a better trigger would be helpful.

#12: Re: Built a budget AR Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 5:41 am
    ----
Slim,
Not trying to spend more of your money but have you ever dropped the hammer on a Geissele trigger in an AR?

To ME.. any of the various models of Geissele triggers allow me to be a better shooter. These are the first triggers I have ever truly felt the "breaking glass rod" let off.

Their customer service is second to none as well. I stop by their shop on vendors Row at camp Perry during the highpower nationals and they will clean inspect and adjust they triggers in my rifles just for stopping by.

A friend of mine bought one used on line and when it arrived we discovered it had been "modified" and the safety was not properly engaging 100% of the time. He asked Geissele to take a look at it to see if it could be repaired. They said it was marginal and sent him a brand new trigger rather than risk an unsafe trigger!!

OK they are not inexpensive but this is one time I feel I will get what I pay for.

#13: Re: Built a budget AR Author: Loke PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:23 am
    ----
My favorite thing about the Geissele triggers is the many different ways that people try to pronounce the name. And had I known how much difference they would make in my Armalite, I would have gotten one ten years earlier.

From the videos where Bill introduces himself.....it is pronounced "GUYS-LEE"

#14: Re: Built a budget AR Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:01 am
    ----
Ok, the problem is I have too many ARs and if I get hooked on these triggers, I'll be out a small fortune. But I know a trigger can make a difference. When I had a stuck round in the last carbine match, I borrowed a friends "spare" rifle that had a Rock River 2-stage trigger. It felt good.

#15: Re: Built a budget AR Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:48 pm
    ----
I have a 3lb skeletonized Timney in my Ar and am very happy with it..

www.timneytriggers.com...igger.aspx

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions