Dressing Hogs
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: Dressing Hogs Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 8:45 am
    ----
It seems to me that sometime in the past someone described how they removed the hair from wild hogs. The last two I dressed and butchered I skinned and that's OK, but I think I'd like to leave the skin on the hams and shoulders, and butts. Not to mention that I really love Cajan spiced chicharonnes. I'm getting low on pork and fall is coming soon I'm thinking pig hunt. Very Happy

#2: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:24 pm
    ----
lesterg3 wrote:
It seems to me that sometime in the past someone described how they removed the hair from wild hogs.

Propane weed burner. Or if you are "red-neck" enough, you can try this:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=O98Ya8-7cfo

-DallanC

#3: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 10:32 pm
    ----
did it again on saturday as we got given a 120ish lb boar. get a lpg burner/blow torch that pokes out about a 3" flame wet pig and burn,scrape off hair the trick is to heat just enough to scrape off outer skin layer you will see it move its only parer thin. a good bed of embers from a fire a bit larger than the pig covered in a 12-18" layer of wet damp vegetation, we use manuka is better still..it steams off the hair. or you can put whole just killed pig into bath of hot water.3 buckets of boiling to 1 of cold if I remember rightly dunk it in and roll it around a bit till hair starts to move then pull it out and scrape like mad.(my Uncle did it in the house ONCE Aunty wasnt impressed) this is the best method of all as it comes out very clean and hairless, singing with L.P.G. can be a bit hit n miss and you can end up with "stubble"

#4: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 12:14 am
    ----
When I was young, my uncle usually came over to kill and clean domestic pigs. At that time they didn't use a propane-burner. They used straw: just put the pig on a layer of straw and cover it also, then lit it. Afterwards we used a piece of wood with beer-bottle caps nailed to it to rub the pig clean. And don't forget to pour boiling water in the ears, close them and give them some beating.

Did I mention the pig is already dead before you start doing all of this? Smile

#5: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:10 am
    ----
Yeah first make sure the pig is dead...

Suz

#6: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 9:40 am
    ----
So, I can cut a step out of the process if I use a flame thrower to hunt pig?

#7: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:54 am
    ----
PaulS wrote:
So, I can cut a step out of the process if I use a flame thrower to hunt pig?

That depends... when they have been eating onions it can happen that they start like a rocket and you'll never retrieve them...

and you'll never sure with pigs if they already discovered a remedy and throw the flame back... so be ready to duck when they return the fire...

#8: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:43 pm
    ----
I don't have much trouble dressing hogs but I can never get them to tie their own shoes ...

#9: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:12 am
    ----
Pumpkinslinger wrote:
I don't have much trouble dressing hogs but I can never get them to tie their own shoes ...

ROFL

Yep! and when you're done it's still a pig!!

#10: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:33 am
    ----
And here comes the kink.. Cyclops

#11: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:35 am
    ----
Sheep anyone?

#12: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2014 10:00 pm
    ----
at least they wont "squeal" on you.......

#13: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:25 am
    ----
Ah the voice of experience............

#14: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 2:21 am
    ----
Laughing

#15: Re: Dressing Hogs Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 3:34 am
    ----
Bang Head Bang Head Bang Head Haha Haha Haha

-> General