Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California
-> General

#1: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:19 am
    ----
blog.cheaperthandirt.c...expiration

Stovey, you got out of the left-coast just in time. I didn't realize that CA has a certification process for handguns. Its all confusing to me. Seems that once a certification has expired (if the manufacturer even bothers to have it certified to begin with), the handgun can no longer be sold. I think it applies to individuals also. Even the color of the gun makes a difference!?!? Crazy!

#2: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:51 am
    ----
DAM I guess I had better take mine out and see if there is any mold, and check the color.
Can't fix stupid !!!!!

#3: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:30 am
    ----
I remember that...Seems that part of their "certification" was a drop test where they THREW a Colt .45 ACP up against a concrete wall to see if it would fire.

They started this program sometime before 2000.

#4: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:21 pm
    ----
The most stupid thing I have ever heard.

#5: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:34 pm
    ----
Scratch I wonder what the thought process is for the people that dream up this crap.. Unbelievable Scratch

#6: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:05 pm
    ----
I hate it when that happens. All the best...
Gil

#7: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:13 pm
    ----
Bureaucrats trying to one up each other in making new rules.
It is not how good the ruling is, but the how many rulings were passed in your administration that counts.

#8: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:35 pm
    ----
Several gun manufaturere do not sell in the USSR of C. Most firearms purchased are gotten outside of the state. Called "gun trafficking"

#9: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:34 pm
    ----
I wonder if they will apply this same insanity to other types of machines?

It seems to me that someone is justifying their existence and setting themselves up for re-election by pandering to their supporters. The primary goal of every politician is to do whatever they are able to set themselves up for re-election.

The mind boggles.

#10: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:57 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
I wonder if they will apply this same insanity to other types of machines?

They do in the auto industry, industrial safety equipment etc.

Just about everything you can plug into a wall outlet you buy gets tested by groups like UL/CE/CSA/ANSI, plus they also test safety gear etc and a lot of things you wouldn't expect.

A car that may be legal for sale this year, depending on how they change accident testing and emission testing may not be legal for a manufacturer to sell the next year.

And the list goes on ... with regards to other things.

Dimitri

#11: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:17 pm
    ----
Yeah, I know that happens 'Mitri, but I was thinking alone the lines of them retesting other machines, say a car, the same way they did initially...bring in a number of the old models and crash test them all over again.

#12: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:25 pm
    ----
We almost do that here with government mandated safety inspections when used cars are sold.

Plus the emission testing we also do once a car is on the road.

Dimitri

#13: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:32 pm
    ----
We don't have formal emissions testing here, but some States have compulsory roadworthy checks each year for registration, and a used vehicle offered for sale must have a current Roadworthy Certificate.

#14: Re: Handguns now have Expiration Dates in California Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:58 pm
    ----
shrpshtrjoe wrote:
I wonder what the thought process is for the people that dream up this crap.. Unbelievable

"We can't get enough support to ban handguns so lets make if very difficult to have/get one and do it all in the name of safety!"

-> General