6.5x55 Swedish
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:45 am
    ----
SJ, "a few drinks"???
Here a crate of beer is 24x25 cl (sometimes also 24x33 cl), so about 6 liter.
Now for your info only: last hunt we succeded to empty 7 crates with 5 hunters...
did I already mention somewhere that it's still rather warm here for the time of the year?
Didn't you know that the Czech are the biggest beerdrinkers in the world? But they only have that title because so many belgian hunters visit them and beer is still cheap out there...
but now I've made Vince afraid of visiting Belgium one day, he might not survive "Flanders Field's" Smile

#17: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:49 am
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
it's still rather warm here for the time of the year

Just hang on a bit, Aloys. Our current "Polar Vortex" might head your way sans snow. You might enjoy the temperatures.

#18: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AzarLocation: Utah PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:32 am
    ----
Mac,

No doubt you'll come to love and appreciate the Swede. It simply is a balanced blend of lethality and mild manners. The 6.5mm bullets are long and sleek and so have high B.C.'s and S.D's which helps them slip through the air and punch deep into game. All without punishing the shooter with excessive recoil.

Most factory loads use a 140 grain bullet between 2525 and 2600 fps (24" barrel). The Swede is no barrel burner, but that's part of it's charm.

A reloader has available:
85-100 grain varmint bullets
100-160 grain big game bullets
107-142 grain match bullets

You you'll find a bullet for whatever purpose you have in mind. Enjoy the new gun!

#19: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:30 pm
    ----
Mac, here are the pet-loads of Rik (and check them with the data, because I didn't):

Sierra 1750 - 160 grs
Hodgdon 4831 - 45 grs
Federal 210M

Sierra 1750 - 160 grs
Hodgdon 4350 - 43 grs
Federal 210M

Sierra 1730 - 140 grs
Vithavuori N160 - 44 grs
Federal 210M

Lapua Moly 139 grs
VV N165 - 48 grs
Federal 210M

the load with the Sierra 140 grs gave him a title in the belgian ordonance match.

#20: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:56 pm
    ----
Thanks for all the information. I have to wait a couple of weeks to get the rifle and will try it first with some factory loads.

#21: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:11 pm
    ----
Cheers

I should send Vince and Aloy a Canadian beer. They don't come in 6 packs as they are a bit heavy for the pick-up trucks.

#22: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:10 pm
    ----
Azar wrote:
The 6.5mm bullets are long and sleek and so have high B.C.'s and S.D's which helps them slip through the air and punch deep into game.

I have found that Sectional Density has nothing at all to do with penetration. It's all about expansion. The more a bullet expands the less penetration will occur. It works that way every time.

#23: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:49 pm
    ----
Would love to share a beer with ya Mac...maybe one day.

The more I read about the Swede, the more I like the sound of it and what I'm reading. It sounds like a very accurate and versatile round.

#24: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:03 am
    ----
Azar and Slim,
This is a interesting read.
www.24hourcampfire.com..._with_lots

I also have read results with the 140 Grain Core Lokt that look really good. I will be using this rifle for punching paper as its sights are not very useful for the short range hunting we do here. My two moose rifles have 1-4x scopes for this reason. I will most likely go with one of the VLD bullets.

From my own reading, all other factors being equal, SD is the primary determining factor in penetration. However, all other factors are hardly ever equal so expansion, weight retention and retention of symetry as the bullet passes through tissue and bone can significantly alter the affect of high SD. Putting rifles aside for the moment, high SD designs are used in direct fire artillery and tank rounds to improve penetration in everything from concrete to armour.

#25: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:40 am
    ----
Mac, I would never say that a diopter is not very usefull for hunting... once you have that rifle in your hands, try to shoot a groupe with the inner orifice removed. You can just turn that loose (normally to exchange for another one, but just try it on paper without the orifice and be surprised. Our eyes are marvellous instruments. And see how fast you can point your rifle then)

Have you ever shot a rifle with a diopter sight?

#26: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AzarLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:20 pm
    ----
Mac,

A bit of caution on the 140g CoreLokt. The 6.5mm version was originally designed for the 264 Win Mag and is a 2-diameter bullet. Meaning, the front part of the shank is actually smaller (like .257) and the lower part is .264. This was designed to reduce pressure. It works. I have a hard time getting that bullet "up to speed" in my 6.5x55. A load that gives me 2,635 with a 140g Speer HotCor gives 2,497 with the Remington 140g CoreLokt.

Perhaps because of it's design the 140g CoreLokt is also one of the few bullets I could never get to shoot acceptably in my Swede. Looking at my notes I guess there's one load that I could live it if I had to (assuming the results could be repeated). 1.8" for 5-shots at 100 yards clocking in at 2,554 fps. Meh. Other loads opened up to 5.5" at 100 yards!

That being said, others have claimed excellent accuracy with that bullet in a 6.5x55 so perhaps it's just my gun and that bullet don't play well together.

If I were starting fresh the first bullet I'd grab is the Hornady 129g SP. Great accuracy, a bit more velocity to flatten out the longer shots, and a great bullet on game.

I've also used the 140g Hornady SP with good results (on paper and game). And I've had good accuracy with the 140g Speer HotCor* and the 160g Sierra SMP (discontinued).

*It took finding the COAL sweetspot before it shot acceptably for me.

#27: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:31 pm
    ----
Azar, is Sierra's 160 gr SMP really discontinued? I don't shoot my 6,5x54MS very often, but that was my bullet of choise...

#28: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:43 pm
    ----
Not that I can recall Aloy. THe closest would be the aperture on an FN or Lee Enfield. The sights on our MP5's were also aperture but we practised firing from the ready position and not aiming through the sights.

Anxious to give the diopters a try. I have read they are the kind to us old farts with mature vision.

I looked for the front sight (Elit Kornburg) inserts online but they are pretty rare. Apparently the Lyman 93 is a close replacement front sight but I need the rifle in my hands to access the quality/condition of the sights properly.

Now Bushy may have to get his mucking boots out again but the unknown history of this rifle gives it, for me, a somewhat mystical character. The receiver (1906 vintage) is of military origin. A good number of them were loaned to the Fins for the Winter War and the continuation into WWII. They were returned after the war. Also Swedish volunteers took their weapons to the Winter War. The conversions which started in 1963 brought these rifles to the competative shooting arena. From my reading only a few select rifles had their actions glass bedded by CG. So when I lift that rifle to my shoulder for the first time I will be thinking of where it has been and all the hands it has passed through.

#29: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 1:36 pm
    ----
Mac, when searching in Finland, try to find their most famous sniper. I don't remember his name, but he never trusted optics, only his diopter... now when it's easy to kill soldiers, it should also be able to please you for game that doesn't return fire... (edit: I think this is the guy: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...A4yh%C3%A4 )

And I wouldn't search for the frontblade at this moment. Remenber you'll already have 2 diameters for the rear sight: the one with the orifice and the one with the orifice completely removed. The last one will act as somekind of a ghostring (not a "go string" but a "ghost-ring" Smile )

By the way: my receiver is dated 1918 and is still looking younger than me.

#30: Re: 6.5x55 Swedish Author: AzarLocation: Utah PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:24 pm
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
Azar, is Sierra's 160 gr SMP really discontinued? I don't shoot my 6,5x54MS very often, but that was my bullet of choise...

Unless they've brought it back and I didn't hear about it, then yes. In fact, I bought my first box in early 2007 because it was clearanced at a local store (I got the last box). After loading them up and having excellent accuracy with them I went looking for another box. It was already discountined, hence the reason why it was clearanced. So it's been at least 8 years Aloysius... Shocked

I did find someone who was getting rid of his old stock as he planned to standardize on the 155g Lapua Mega in his 6.5x55. So I bought his last three boxes. I was just thinking earlier today it was time to load some up out of those boxes and see how they compare to my others...

Hopefully you have a good stash of 'em still?

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions