Just droppin in to say HI!---link to video added
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> General

#16: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: SniperXLocation: Victoria, TX PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:20 pm
    ----
Very Happy Suzanne, I knew that.

Thanks to all sorry been away a few days, and yes, I really didn't know what
kind of replies would show up. Much to my surprise, thanks for the warm welcome. I am sorry if by my being away seems to have under estimated you all. Anyway, here I am. I am located in the central coastal plains in Texas.
Victoria, to pin point it for you. Been around since the sixties in this area, except for four years in the Navy. 70-74 Most of that time overseas. I worked in industry after getting out. I was a Machinist for a while before moving into supervision and other things. Been around big machine shops til earlier this year. Had enough and decided to just hang around and smoke some hogs.
Used to be around here it was , it was nice to see a hog while deer hunting and shoot it. It was kinda of one of them things that you could not count on more than once or twice during the season. Now for years, it is a battle to try and clear out the hogs enough to even allow the deer to come in to the feeder areas. Buddy of mine, a few years ago , declared war. We went out every Thursday night and Saturday night all year. Killed three or four pigs every week. The more we killed the more seemed to show up. We never ran out of hogs. We did do it enough where they started waiting til after dark to show up, which let the deer have some corn. Then I went for five or six years with out shooting a deer, just because, I would rather shoot a hog.
Several years ago, some buddies, if you want to call them that, got me into night vision. The ranch they were hunting had a special situation where every hog in nine counties whould come in there. Needless to say, we had a lot of fun, and I spent way too much money on toys, but a good time was had by all. Now the attractant is no longer at the ranch, so the brothers, buddies, dont want to go anymore. Sad They are hunting a feedlot near home and dont want to make the trip.
This year since I have a lot of time on my hands and so does my neighbor, we are into sausage making. Needless to say, the deer are not as happy as they were. LOL Gives us something to do. LOL
I mostly run AR10's ( As in Armalite reg trade mark name) 308's, 260,
338 Federal. New one 358 Win. Now that should be a pig smacker. lol So, far only a deer has felt it.
The hogs in the area I hunt were like clock work coming in, but since the pecans are dropping, they don't care too much about the corn. They will be back Very Happy
I reload most all of my rounds. The 338 shoots so well with Federal Fusion, that i dont do that one anymore. The 358 looks like it could be doing the same thing with the Hornady 200 gr. sp. We will see. still collecting brass.

#17: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: SniperXLocation: Victoria, TX PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:32 pm
    ----
I would have fancied up my stuff with a sig line or two and a fancy avatar, but guess you have to be around a while before you can add that, or I am not savy on the board specs. lol

Would have added this in but don't see an edit button either. NBD

I found the edit button. LOL.........................

Pleased for you to meet my buddy Mohawk.

#18: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:44 pm
    ----
Ahh.. beauty!
Nice porker.. Party time?

#19: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:32 am
    ----
Really nice sized hogs! Sounds like a lot of fun hunting at night. I don't wish for hog opportunities here (too destructive) but it would be a great night out. Thanks for the photos.

Suz

#20: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 1:54 pm
    ----
nothing like roast pork with apple sauce.

#21: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 3:33 pm
    ----
BACON! with beans, or apples sauce or eggs, or MORE BACON!

Paul

#22: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 7:35 pm
    ----
SniperX, that last hog looks like he's got some battle scars!

#23: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: SniperXLocation: Victoria, TX PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:26 pm
    ----
Suzanne,
I have a sister in law in Corvales. Also, have done a lot of
buisness with Noveske Rifleworks out of Grants Pass.
Never traveled over in that area, however.
I can ship you some hogs Laughing

#24: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:09 pm
    ----
No no no we don't need any extraterrestrials rooting up the place. Is your sis-in-law in school there? OSU? Well it's beautiful country, I moved here from Tucson, Az about 20+ years ago, after a stint in the Navy. I was in just after you left. I think it was 1976 or so, as a aircrew survival equipmentman/person. Stationed mostly in PT. Mugu, Ca. How bout you? what was your rate? Ole Bushmaster was also in the Navy....back when they had wooden mine sweepers...ugh

Suz

#25: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:11 pm
    ----
That's right Suz...Iron men on wooden ships...

#26: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 3:22 am
    ----
Thems nice looking grunter a Sniper...I would love to get amongst them mate. If you start getting bored shooting pigs, go after them with a couple of good dogs and a knife mate...now that will get the adrenaline flowing. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Whoops, nearly forgot...when you are making sausages, experiment with a mix of pork and venison with some spices.

#27: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: SniperXLocation: Victoria, TX PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:08 pm
    ----
I was a machinist mate. I was an E5 when I got out. I made E5 in two years.
I went to A school out of boot camp. Then to a destoyer tender out of Norfolk for a short time waiting nuclear power school. Nuke school in Baimbridge Maryland. Did get out of the nuke program, kept my E4. They sent me overseas. LOL USS Springfield CLG-7. Sixth fleet flag ship. over 2 1/2 years or so, brought her back to the US and we decommissioned it.

Don't do hogs with dogs. Too much running, too much work. Not to mention
that a lot of dogs get killed around here by the hogs. They most always pick the scent of a boar up and that is quite a bit to handle if it is a big one. they are a lot more aggressive here than Aussie ones from what I am told. I do have several freinds that hunt with them some. I kill way more hogs than they ever thought about. Also, I don't have to stop and sew up any dogs. lol
Between three of us, one nighs record is 29 hogs, confirmed kills. We don't count the ones that are hit and make it in to deep brush.

Yes, we mix pork with the deer for sausage. 70/30% or 60/40%. Some of the best dry sausage we made with deer and wild hog.

Just got through making a mess of summer sausge with deer and pork today. Making link sausage tomorrow.

My sister in law is retired now and lives out there. She was in Kalifornia for quite some time as well. She does a lot of work translating text books into brail. She is also very much a libral. LOL

#28: Re: Just droppin in to say HI! Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:50 am
    ----
O K SniperX...There will be no swearing or "bad" words spoken on this site. You will no longer mention that bad place by it's real name. You will hence forth call it the USSR of C...

I escape from there in 2006 after 20 years as a captive.

#29: Re: Just droppin in to say HI!---link to video added Author: SniperXLocation: Victoria, TX PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:50 pm
    ----
Thought I would add a link to one of my videos on Youtube. You all may
find it interesting or at least like it.
This video was from 2009, when they were lots of hogs on a big ranch
we used to hunt. You can also see some of my other videos on there if you
click on my user name. be aware that there may be some four letter words in
the back ground on some of the videos.

This video is rather long but sorta documents what went on on that ranch.

The yotes loved us, they would light up as soon as they heard a bullet smack meat. They made short work of our mess. These hogs were not etable due to what they were eating at the ranch. They not only smelled but also tasted what they were eating. Not to mention that they were covered with fleas. If you happen to get too close to a dead hog without a half a can of spray on you you would be covered in a matter of seconds. They even get on you just walking down their trails. It was nothing to see hundereds of hogs every night we hunted. pretty darn crazy. We used to tell people about this place and none of them would believe us. lol

here it is: my video

#30: Re: Just droppin in to say HI!---link to video added Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:32 pm
    ----
Great video mate. I think I would have been looking for a way to ambush them up close with a couple of pump shotguns ready loaded with 00SG or 1oz slugs.

-> General