Groundhogs are out
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Groundhogs are out Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 3:24 pm
    ----
While walking my dog this evening, I spotted a huge groundhog in the field across the road from my house. My neighbor owns a large farm and has given me permission to hunt on his property. The groundhog has a burrow near the barn and is quite wary. My dog and I were over one hundred yards away and the chuck immediately dropped down into his den. I will have to plan a stalk that gets me close without being detected to take the shot. In the past, I have hunted from the barn and may have to again. Anyone else seeing groundhogs? All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 5:16 pm
    ----
I saw my first of the year this past weekend, walking along the side of a busy road. Wonder how folks would take to me shooting them from a moving car with a shotgun...

#3: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 2:13 am
    ----
If your laws about shooting from a public road are anything like ours Punkin, you will be well and truly up sh1t creek without a paddle mate. Just take note of where they are and visit the landowner later and ask if you can pop a few "dogs" on his property mate.

#4: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2015 4:48 am
    ----
Been seeing a lot of them too. Unfortunately our state makes it illegal to shoot them from March until June 1. By then even the beans are usually tall enough to hide them.

#5: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: GrumulkinLocation: Central Ohio PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2015 3:41 am
    ----
I shot my first one not too long ago. Ohio recently legalized supressors for hunting so I put a big hole in it with a supressed 308 Winchester. Best of all, my wife who was in the house didn't hear/wasn't annoyed by the shot.

Two or 3 days ago I saw another one right outside my office window. Unfortunately, it got skittish when I opened the window to take a shot so it's still living under my front porch. Its days are numbered though...

I could be friends with them if they didn't chew on landscape lighting wireing and porch furniture.

#6: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: OldSchoolRanger PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 9:15 pm
    ----
Groundhogs have disappeared around here. Coyotes sightings have been increasing, probably related. They've even started to go sightseeing in NYC.

www.villagevoice.com/n...rk-9207914

www.roadsideamerica.com/story/35889

#7: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 8:26 am
    ----
Hot damn!! Yote hunting in Central Park...

#8: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2017 4:13 pm
    ----
For about 3 weeks now !!!

#9: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: Loke PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2017 10:12 am
    ----
Been watching a few rock chucks for a month or so now. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I can't seem to bring myself to shoot them. At less than 100 yards with my 243 doesn't seem sporting any more.

#10: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 6:01 pm
    ----
Loke wrote:
Been watching a few rock chucks for a month or so now. Maybe I'm getting soft in my old age, but I can't seem to bring myself to shoot them. At less than 100 yards with my 243 doesn't seem sporting any more.

Watching for a couple months? Stop giving them names... it makes it easier to shoot them later (lol!).

I kindof feel the same way when I see one near home. Down on the Boulder's though... they are all over. Last one I shot (and I kid you not) was with my LCP at 40 yards. It was a stupendous shot if I do say so myself (LMAO!)

-DallanC

#11: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2017 7:11 pm
    ----
Closest thing we have to ground hogs out here would be the European Rabbit. Open season, no bag limit, all year round.

Good thing about rabbits vs ground hogs is you can make a magnificent meal outa bunny.

Loke...make it sporting mate...break out the .22 rimfire with subsonics or use a .17 HMR.

#12: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2017 6:18 pm
    ----
Vince, I'm told that groundhog is pretty tasty! After all, they're eating the same stuff the beef cattle do. I haven't had a chance to try it myself though.

#13: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 1:21 am
    ----
that just screams .223 and fast varmit projectiles.
Grumps they some 130grn speers through the .308....perfect medicine for small stuff and not too shabby on deer sized animals if you are a fan of head/neck or meat saver shots..they are known as handgrenade loads over here and are a favourite with guys shooting from choppers.

#14: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: OldSchoolRanger PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2017 4:12 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:

Loke...make it sporting mate...break out the .22 rimfire with subsonics or use a .17 HMR.
Was going to say that. You beat me to it. You could also try hitting them with a handgun.

#15: Re: Groundhogs are out Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2017 10:41 am
    ----
Shocked Pumpkin-you're right about eating woodchuck,groundhog!I used to live in Va when in the service and those people back east could'nt concieve of killing all that good eatin food for sport!Iguess that's kinda like after the civil war and the south had been destroyed by sherman and there was not much left to eat and people had to adapt to eating pretty much whatever there was left!Gopher pie,black birds,possum,swamp rat,etc.That was kinda like my analogy of the last years of obama in office-we did'nt sport shoot our cottontails-because before obama got through-that might be the only food we would have left.So maybe ground hogs can be found on that menu also!!! Mad

Heck it could cause a new trend in open range-non gmo,natural mcdonalds -ground-groundhog burgers!!!
PS-somebody would want to start ground hog feedlots and ruin that idea!

-> Varmint Hunting