The grin says it all
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: The grin says it all Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:57 am
    ----
Radar will follow with story...

#2: Re: The grin says it all Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:13 am
    ----
(7/10ths is a mate on a NZ Hunting forum)

Got a call from 7/10ths last Tuesday inviting me on a hunt down Clements Mill Road that Friday, (01/05/2015)
Yep Keen as mustard what time are you gonna pick me up.

2.00am!

You what?

And so it began. 0200hrs (the o stands for Oh my god its too early) He arrives in my driveway and off we went.
He decided we'd hunt south of the road into an area he knows and see how we went. I looked on my map and thought Far out thats a fair hike but thought take a concrete pill you'll be fine.
So off we went, about 5 min out of the car park we put a hind up on the track - both of us were totally unprepared and she disappeared without a shot being fired. Thats Ok off we went again.
We got to the spot waited for the light to improve (0600, the o stands for oh its still bloody early) and went off trail and started siding around a series of guts and creek heads. After about an hour we came to a more open area and we split up, me dropping down the hill a bit and J going up about 50 meters.
We'd split about 5 minutes with me making a cautious 30 or 40 meters when i saw a couple of white branches move, then they moved back again and morphed into a young Sika Stag, he knew I was somewhere but wasn't sure exactly.
J had told me that if you see one don't hesitate' nail it.
So I took his advice and aimed onto the shoulder and BOOM!
My shot was a quartering shot down through the shoulder which poleaxed the stag , he got up as i struggled to reload my single shot Baikal and leapt over a mound and crashed away. I yelled out as J came screaming down the hill. I showed him where we'd last seen the stag then both started to follow the scuff marks. About 20 meters down hill there he laid well and truly dead. I was stoked, a 6 point Sika Stag, my first stag, woohoo was I a happy camper? - I think the smiles said it all.
We thought about taking the skin but it wasn't quite right, hopefully a winter expedition might sort that out.
Took the head and as much meat as possible and continued our hunt. Heard a couple of roars during the middle of the day. At about lunchtime (Cold MacDonalds Cheese burgers - Don't knock it till you've tried it) we decided that because I had work the next day (0700 start, that o means Oh my god how the hell am I getting out of bed after yesterday) we walked back up the valley at a different height, back onto the track and out to the car at 1730. We spooked 3 little piggies on the road about 500 meters inside the DOC boundary but were too slow getting our guns out which in hindsight was probably a good thing because as we were putting them away again a car came barreling along which would have been interesting.

I was using my Baikal .223 with home load 55grain Nosler BTs which are chronied to 3100 f/s - the damage was spectacular with a through and through wound which shredded the heart and lungs - so Im stoked with that. I think I'll use it again as its a bit lighter than my 7mm08 - save that for reds.
The firsts!
1st of May,
1st ever stag in antler,
1st time Ive used a Home loaded round hunting

To 7/10ths - Thanks for an awesome day in the hills, one I will cherish for many years to come.

Big thanks to Becs (Missus Elvis) for assisting us two numpties in tying this together.

#3: Re: The grin says it all Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:14 am
    ----
Great work Radar...ya lucky bugger. Plenty of meat for the freezer there buddy.

#4: Re: The grin says it all Author: lesterg3Location: Dixie PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:44 am
    ----
Nice, very nice.

#5: Re: The grin says it all Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 5:56 am
    ----
So that's what you've been up to! Nice job Radar.
By what measure do you call that a 6 point (we count the points on the antlers). We would prob. call that a spike..?

Suz

#6: Re: The grin says it all Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:13 am
    ----
Good pics and a great story! Thanks for sharing!

#7: Re: The grin says it all Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 8:14 am
    ----
That's what I was thinkin' too, Suz. I only count two points (a spike).

Soooo Radar. Where are the other 4 points?

Nice job!!

Damned Americans. Sooo Crtitical....

#8: Re: The grin says it all Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:03 pm
    ----
Suzanne wrote:
So that's what you've been up to! Nice job Radar.
By what measure do you call that a 6 point (we count the points on the antlers). We would prob. call that a spike..?

Suz
jeeze and who said size didnt matter??????
us Kiwis count all spikes big enough to hang a wedding ring on, when scoring antlers.
6 in total. two brow tines and two half way up..inline with his(Radars) tit plus end of main beam makes 6
a really good Jap/sika stag will be 8 or very rarely 10 points and a big one will be 28"x28"
they are one of the most cunning deer to hunt and conversely the most rewarding as they whisle-honk and beep at you when spooked, so even if you dont see animal you know you got close.

#9: Re: The grin says it all Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 2:30 pm
    ----
Awesome job Radar.
Good success story..

#10: Re: The grin says it all Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 3:00 pm
    ----
As Elvis said if there's enough to put a wedding ring on it counts.
The photos don't really show it but he had 3-4 inch brow tines and the middle two were about 2 inches with the top being about 20 inches in length. We use Douglas score down here but I will get that cross referenced to the SCI score as well.
He was a satellite stag so not the big boy who's probably still there. A very good representative 6 pointer according to everyone and in top condition - he obviously wasn't getting any hinds and at guess he was only about 2. - 3 years old, I'm having the jawbone aged which is part of an ongoing study in this area. Cervus Nippon Nippon is the species and as Elvis says they are a frustrating animal to hunt - I count myself lucky , it just turned out good on the day.

Last edited by radar on Wed May 06, 2015 1:33 am; edited 1 time in total

#11: Re: The grin says it all Author: MacDLocation: Canada PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 4:53 pm
    ----
Nice animal and good story. Thanks for sharing.

#12: Re: The grin says it all Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 6:08 am
    ----
O- my. That is nice.

#13: Re: The grin says it all Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:23 am
    ----
Suz and Bushy
here is a Sika spiker
Embarassed and a much younger version of Elvis Embarassed

#14: Re: The grin says it all Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 6:34 am
    ----
A spike or a baby? Radar's was much bigger bodied. As my brother would say - that one wasn't even old enough to have sex yet.

#15: Re: The grin says it all Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:05 am
    ----
Aah but...Prime eatin', Slimjim...

Always glad to see something come home to cover the cost of gas and bullet.

-> Big Game Hunting