reloading 300 wsm
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#16: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:16 pm
    ----
ok try this ....when seating bullet next time start bullet into case neck then raise ram a tad,rotate case 180 then complete seating bullet...that SHOULD help....
another trick is to seat bullet well into case so it gets alignment from entire neck(the .308win family is classic for this)

#17: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: bdriller PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:11 pm
    ----
Definately see wobble in tip when rolling, is neck crooked due to dyes?

#18: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 3:22 pm
    ----
bdriller, yes its your dies. Elvis' tip may help some but, if you can see the wobble, I think you are going to have to do more than that. When I had similar concentricity issues, I switched over to Redding S-Type Bushing Dies without an expander button. You might check to see if your expander button is centered in the body of the die. If not, use a screw driver to get it there.

I've also seen some reloaders take their dies to a machine shop and ream out the neck compression area so they don't need the button to expand the neck back through to expand the neck. This can be more precise than the bushing dies with respect to concentricity. My $25 Classic Lee Die has the best concentricity of any die I have - they just don't make it in WSM.

When your fired brass comes out of the chamber, it has perfect concentricity. Every time you touch the neck, concentricity can only get worse.

#19: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: bdriller PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:40 am
    ----
I have both full length and neck only dies, I also noticed one of the reloads after closer inspection had a dimple at shoulder as if it was over pressured when neck was resized I use plenty of lube I wonder if full size might create a straighter neck.

#20: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 7:06 am
    ----
I don't use lube when I necknize and I only resize about 80 % of the neck, so the remaining 20 % can centre the case in the chamber.

Are you using LEE dies?

#21: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: bdriller PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:05 am
    ----
That sounds like a plan

#22: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:32 am
    ----
No, but I remember Gerard of GS-Systems in S-Africa complaining about the concentricity of Lee dies. That's something less good about Lee: quality control is supposed to be performed by the customer... but no problem: you can easily exchange when something is wrong.

#23: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:00 pm
    ----
The dents from too much lube, use less or get yourself some Imperial sizing wax instead of the gel or liquid type lubes, a thin smear is all it takes, no dents.
Forster seating dies are well worth a look if you are having concentricity issues.
Another trick to try is rotate the case as you resize, as in resize, lower the case, rotate 180 deg and resize again.
Worth a try as it costs nothing.

Cheers

#24: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 2:49 pm
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
No, but I remember Gerard of GS-Systems in S-Africa complaining about the concentricity of Lee dies. That's something less good about Lee: quality control is supposed to be performed by the customer... but no problem: you can easily exchange when something is wrong.

and I reckon the Lee stuff is up with the best!!!!!!

#25: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 5:40 pm
    ----
dhc4ever wrote:
The dents from too much lube, use less or get yourself some Imperial sizing wax instead of the gel or liquid type lubes, a thin smear is all it takes, no dents.
Forster seating dies are well worth a look if you are having concentricity issues.
Another trick to try is rotate the case as you resize, as in resize, lower the case, rotate 180 deg and resize again.
Worth a try as it costs nothing.

Cheers

Exactly Pete. I had this problem when FLS 30.30 and every case came out with dimpled or wrinkled shoulders. An adjustment of the dies and a change over to using Imperial Sizing Wax has solved the problem.

Aloys wrote:
...I don't use lube when I necknize and I only resize about 80 % of the neck, so the remaining 20 % can centre the case in the chamber.

I still use a little lube when neck sizing, but like Aloys, I only size doen about 80% - 90% of the neck.

Something else to consider...if you elect to neck size only, I reckon the LEE Collet Die is a good option. Having said that, I would only Neck Size if the case does not have a tendency to 'grow'. If the case 'grows' you must FLS and check for signs of head separation, both internally and externally, as well as trimming to length when necessary. Annealing is another consideration.

As for concentricy problems, I'll leave that for those that have the experience, I've never encountered it (that I know of scared ).

#26: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 1:09 am
    ----
Elvis wrote:
Aloysius wrote:

and I reckon the Lee stuff is up with the best!!!!!!

and I'm humble enough to believe that Gerard is better placed to judge than me... I think somewhere in the past he was distributing Lee in South-Africa...

and don't worry, I myself also use a lot of Lee stuff. I simply don't trust them blindly when I start using new stuff and it doesn't work as expected. I keep into account that Lee's QC might be a little too friendly for their production men... nothing more, nothing less.

#27: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: bdriller PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 5:41 am
    ----
using rcbs dies, I totally accept the too much lube scenario just wish I understood how that creates that problem.

#28: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:15 am
    ----
you shouldn't lube the shoulder as lube will pile up there and cannot escape, so you create hydraulic pressure which will give you a dent in the shoulder (of the case, not your shoulder! Smile )
When you're lucky, you'll shoot it out, if not, you'll have a case with decreased volume (which can increase pressure)

and with RCBS-dies: just try that 180° turning trick. It only cost you a little efford.

#29: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2015 7:22 am
    ----
bdriller wrote:
using rcbs dies, I totally accept the too much lube scenario just wish I understood how that creates that problem.

...how it creates the problem...in a word, hydraulics. Lube is an oil and when you get a build up or excessive lube and gets compressed, the place it makes itself 'felt' is around the area the shoulder is sized in the die. With the shoulder of the case being the weakest point, it results in wrinkled shoulders.

I assume you have checked the adjustment of your die and that it is setup as per the manufacturers instructions?

I regularly clean my sizing dies, both Neck size and FLS, by removing the expander/decap pin, generously spray or soak the inside of the die with Brakleen (or similar), scrub the inside of the die with a nylon bore brush of the appropriate size, keeping up the Brakleen content until I get no more crud coming out of the die. It's surprising just how much gunk accumulates inside the die.

#30: Re: reloading 300 wsm Author: bdriller PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2015 3:01 pm
    ----
makes perfect sense guess I need to buy me a concentricity guage and start overthnx for everybodys advise

-> Reloading Ammunition