Don't laugh
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: Don't laugh Author: delboyLocation: London England PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:11 pm
    ----
Don't laugh just yet guys, but I have been messing with a home made (well, you can't BUY one) sling! I have now perfected it to the point where I can throw a 2oz (aprox) pebble shaped stone well over 100yds.! All I have to do now is get it to go in the direction that I want it to! Seriously though, it's surprising just how much power (I'll have to try and work it out somehow) you can get from a stone - threw one at a wooden shed in my mate's back garden and it went clean through it........ straight through both windows. Sad Won't be trying that again for a while.
Del.

#2: Re: Don't laugh Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 6:50 pm
    ----
Now can I..........?:rofl2: ROFL ROFL

#3: Re: Don't laugh Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:32 pm
    ----
Well according to the bible thats what killed Goliath.I played around with a sling as a kid but like you I had trouble hitting anything. It was surprising how far you could fling a stone with one though. Are you twirling the sling over your head or out to your side?

#4: Re: Don't laugh Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:39 pm
    ----
Hit myself in the back of the head with one of those when I was a kid...Haven't tried one sense...Found that a .22 single shot rifle did a better job anyway...And I could direct the shot much better...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

#5: Re: Don't laugh Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:40 pm
    ----
How do you release the stone? I would want to be a few hundred yrds from you when you start swinging, just in case. Smile

#6: Re: Don't laugh Author: SpacedoneLocation: missouri PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:58 pm
    ----
as a kid in the ozarks in the 60s coming from a river family i was given my first sling at 5 and by 6 i could hit a rabbit at 40 yards and knock a squirrel out of a tree at 30 yards using the largest splitshot sinkers as ammo.

on video you see people swing it over there head and you see them throw it overhanded but those dont work well.

swing it underhand and you should get fairly accurate in a very short time. a good piece of advice is only swing it one loop at a time. anymore and you get going to fast to aim.

#7: Re: Don't laugh Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:07 pm
    ----
Sure...50 years later he tells me...

#8: Re: Don't laugh Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:19 pm
    ----
1895,the sling has two strings of almost equal length one has a loop on the end,the other a knot.The loop you put over your middle finger,the knot you hold between thumb and index finger.When you get to the point in your swing where you believe the projectile will fly toward the desired target you simply let go of the knot.

#9: Re: Don't laugh Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 9:33 pm
    ----
roklok wrote:
1895,the sling has two strings of almost equal length one has a loop on the end,the other a knot.The loop you put over your middle finger,the knot you hold between thumb and index finger.When you get to the point in your swing where you believe the projectile will fly toward the desired target you simply let go of the knot.

Thanks roklok, I think I'll stick with my sling shot, this sling doesn't sound very accurate to me or safe for that matter. Very Happy I've gotten pretty good with my sling shot over the years while using it on crows, cats etc that come into the yard.

#10: Re: Don't laugh Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:28 pm
    ----
No, its neither accurate or safe until you gain a level of skill far beyond what I ever acheived.When I would practice I would go several hundred yards from any buildings or people.Then all that I would have to worry about was hitting myself.

#11: Re: Don't laugh Author: ripper007Location: Colorado PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 12:12 am
    ----
and I thought I was the only one that played with a sling.

how long do you make your strings.
I think I have mine about 3' long. I had my loop to fit around my pinky finger, for some reason doing it that way gave me more confidence of holding onto the string.

like you said , one good swing then let go.
I could make it hit harder doing a one swing let go instead of letting it swing around several times. that was way to complicated and a waist of time.

I could put a 1\2" to 3\4" inch rocks threw a piec of plywood every time. knock holes threw tin that was on the barn.
spent many of hours throwing rocks threw the trees just to watch the branches and leaves fall.

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting