First AR....
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: First AR.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 pm
    ----
Most of ya know I like the Russian thing for battle rifles. But of late, some buds have turned me on to the AR platform. So I got the bug. But everyone has one...but not like this. Oh no no no no... Razz Scratch built, from 80% lower, machined it myself. Stoner 16" tube, Stoner brake, Magpul furniture/mags, etc etc. Painted the stainless tube half flat black, rest in the white so it shines through the HG. Call sign: THUMPER. Boy is it.... Razz Very Happy

#2: Re: First AR.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:27 pm
    ----
16" tube

#3: Re: First AR.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:28 pm
    ----
DPMS parts kit....trigger was way too fat...took me 90 mins. to custom fit it.

#4: Re: First AR.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:29 pm
    ----
Bits n bobs

#5: Re: First AR.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:30 pm
    ----
Midwest guard, Troy block...note the SS tube shining through the guard.

#6: Re: First AR.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:31 pm
    ----
50 cal. AR....THOR'S HAMMER. Razz

#7: Re: First AR.... Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:19 pm
    ----
Stovey...what are ya doing to me mate??? We are not allowed to have magnificent 'toys' like this out here in Australia.

You have built yourself a simple awesome rifle mate, one that should serve you brilliantly for many a long year. I'm assuming the calibre is the .500 S&W, or is it the Magnum version? Either way, it will be an awesome combination of rifle and round. You done good buddy.

(Did ya see the BBQ post in the GENERAL Forum mate?)

#8: Re: First AR.... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:57 pm
    ----
stovepipe wrote:
Call sign: THUMPER.

stovey, this is a great build! Best keep the call sign as Thor! Thumper is the nickname of the 450 Bushmastet. You've a bigger hammer. Nicely done.

#9: Re: First AR.... Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 8:52 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
stovepipe wrote:
Call sign: THUMPER.

You've a bigger hammer. .
Slimjim Scratch Scratch I bet you say that to all the boys Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

nice rifle Stovie...now go and shoot something with it will ya...and a tad more info on cartridge please Mate.

#10: Re: First AR.... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:08 pm
    ----
stovey, what do you plan on shooting with it? Do you have more details on the cartridge? Are you planning to buy your rounds over the counter or roll your own? What pills?

#11: Re: First AR.... Author: RePeteLocation: Gods Country PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:32 am
    ----
Nice job Stovie.

#12: Re: First AR.... Author: SuzanneLocation: Eugene, Oregon PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:47 am
    ----
Now yer talkin! Bout time you came around. It's so fun to build I bet you make another one. I milled out a plastic lower (then did two more) and I love the light weight, but you did good on that aluminium and might need it for high pressure rounds. Nice paint scheme, what kind of paint did you use? Do you have to get special mags for that round? Scratch

indispensable
Suz

#13: Re: First AR.... Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:47 am
    ----
Stovey's my "back-up" when I'm on a rat hunt in my barn.

#14: Re: First AR.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:10 pm
    ----
Eye-eye Bushboss! Flyin' trash can on the way!

Vince- Caliber is .50 Beowulf. Coolest name ever and I had to make it happen.

Thanks everyone. It was a great learning experience. Way different than the Russian stuff! Pretty sore today. The MOE buttplate is very slim and sharp, made for shooting with a pack strap on. Got a Limbsaver MOE spec pad coming. Recoil is fun, sharp stuff aint!

Slim- I got dies and stuff here. Bullets coming too. Recipe is proprietary from Alexander Arms, only place I could find it. Right now I'm just plinking to get the brass, once it piles up we start pulling handles. 335gr anything seems popular.

This cartridge likes LIL Gun...some H110 as well and some RE recipies. The Alex Arms ammo I fired smells like Lil Gun more than 110, but I'm sure it's a mix of non-consumer stuff. LEE makes a 4 die set- STEEL. So get some of his lube too. It's like loading a 500 Smith, save the rebated rim, full-length size the "drain pipe", the rest is as per usual. Flare crimp.

Suz- used flat black random paint. Tends to bake on just right and get weird undertones. I didnt get fancy with it. Unless you invest in some dope-proof paint or Duracoat it comes off with solvent. Easy to touch up though. I rarely do. I like patina. It's a working gun so, stays by the door....we have Tom's and Black Bear up here. We have a lot of them...and they get pissy.

Mags: the biggie! Some guns run fine on 556/223 GI mags. Some require some fettling. Russian guns? Never had that problem! With this? Mine started eating cartridges. I mean the wolf just muched them up and spat them out, no BOOM. WTH??? So, after a few days of experimenting, it likes PMAG's with a little bit of stuff shaved off here and there. Notch the front for the case mouth, shave the follower so it trips the bolt stop, trim the follower guide a scoche, buzz the lips back so it pops up faster, all takes less than 5 mins. My guns still new so, it's going to break in and get better. So, for now, ease the first round in with the charger and after that, as fast as you can slap the trigger, big BIG noise comes out the other end.... and people look at you. wtf Shocked Razz

#15: Re: First AR.... Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 12:24 pm
    ----
Expecting Suz to visit? Or are you just being nice and affording her
transportation if she does? Scratch

Vince...Keep the ladder clear. I may need it.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions