brass catcher....
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: brass catcher.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 12:05 pm
    ----
The 50 cal AR (Thumper) and the 308 Howa (Shorty) really fling the brass. Prone it's not a huge deal but they still go flying and I don't like dinged, lost or stepped on cases . So I had all this crap behind the shop and decided to make something. 3'x4' dims. Screen is 1/2" Hardware Cloth. Can be clamped to a bench with "quick-clamps", legs swing flat for transport or storage. It's all just slip-fit too, no glue, in case something gets snapped. Cost: $5. Watcha think? Smile

#2: Re: brass catcher.... Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:28 pm
    ----
very good, now add a small piece of pvc guttering to bottom for them to fall into and it will be super posh indeed.

#3: Re: brass catcher.... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:26 pm
    ----
Our shooting benches are not that big. I did something similar with an old lawn mower grass catcher when the engine died.

#4: Re: brass catcher.... Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 6:12 pm
    ----
Good work Stovey. I agree with Elvis...a short length of some sort of guttering and yer laughin' mate.

#5: Re: brass catcher.... Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 4:11 am
    ----
I made one very similar a while back. I used some camo netting that I'd picked up somewhere.

#6: Re: brass catcher.... Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:09 am
    ----
Slims- I thought of that exact same bag set up! No one here has an old mower that I know of....but great idea!

I like the "gutter" idea and actually thought of same. We'll see how they bounce first. Thanks!

#7: Re: brass catcher.... Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 7:04 pm
    ----
If you make your "catch net" a bit loose mate I think you will find that the force of ejection will be absorbed by the net, allowing it to slide down and into a "catcher of some sort...even if it's only a bag at the bottom.

An ideal, and cheap, product you can use for the net is shade cloth. Easy and cheap to buy from any hardware store and it's easy to connect to your framework using eyelets and cord. It would also be easy to incorporate a catch bag in the bottom. And, if ya wanna get real flash you could leave it open in the bottom middle of the catch bag so the cases fall through into an ammo tin.

#8: Re: brass catcher.... Author: TRBLSHTRLocation: Lower 48's-left coast(near portlandia) PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 8:31 am
    ----
Very Happy Dangit Vince;ya beat me to it!I made a similar brass catcher from shade cloth,I used an old tripod for quartz-halogen lights instead of a pvc frame!The Old QI lights had given up from abuse on work sites and was about to throw out the tripod stand when a brain fart happened,went to the local hardware store and bought 4 of those large metal clamps(spring loaded)that are kindof like close pins.Two at the top of stand-spreading the shade cloth open,and loosely gathering the bottom together around the center pole with the other two clamps-works wonders.Not quite as trick as the gutter/catch pan type-but its utility and stows easily,and my auto shell chuckers don't throw brass all over mother nature! Cool

#9: Re: brass catcher.... Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:18 am
    ----
The crazy things Firearms registry come up in NSW (or at least to my pistol club) is that we are not allowed to have case catchers of any sort in the range, apparently it is due to ricochet hazard..
Nevermind telling him that it is only the low velocity brass cases that spat out from the side of the gun.
The regulations are getting ridiculous.

#10: Re: brass catcher.... Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 1:35 pm
    ----
You're joking mate !!!! That is ludicrous. Does that also include the small bag that attached to either the gun or your hand?

#11: Re: brass catcher.... Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:01 pm
    ----
The small bag is definitely not allowed for a few years now, the new FAR prick come over and chuck a tantrum re case catchers in the range a few months ago.

#12: Re: brass catcher.... Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 11:50 pm
    ----
Geland, they still allow revolvers? Wheelguns don't throw their brass away and you could call them some sort of brass catcher... Smile

#13: Re: brass catcher.... Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:18 am
    ----
Good one, Aloys! I built my brass catcher out of necessity and respect for other shooters at a match. My first .223/5.56 was a Ruger Mini-14. It would throw its hot brass straight out at 3 o'clock and land 4 to 6 stations away. What you see in the picture is the set-up for prone. I had pole extensions for sitting and standing. I would put it to use if I couldn't talk the range officer into letting me shoot from the far right position.

Now I use it all the time to catch my brass. With all the work and prep that goes into brass to reload, I feel like I've lost a child if a piece goes off into the grass and I can't find it.

#14: Re: brass catcher.... Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:36 am
    ----
Aloysius wrote:
Geland, they still allow revolvers? Wheelguns don't throw their brass away and you could call them some sort of brass catcher... Smile
Yes they do allow revolvers at this moment.

#15: Re: brass catcher.... Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:55 am
    ----
stovepipe,
Nice looking arrangement. All the best...
Gil

-> General