Disposing of collections
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Disposing of collections Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:41 am
    ----
My boss of Range Safety Officers at our gun club is a retired policeman. He told me that his brother-in-law was just diagnosed with a terminal medical condition and has perhaps six months to live. He wants to dispose of his gun collection and related accessories. I agreed to help appraise and identify what is involved. My boss gave me three boxes of 6.5 Jap Norma brass that is unprimed and was picked out of his BIL's trash. It is a sad story and makes me wonder about myself at some point down the road. All the best...
Gil

#2: Re: Disposing of collections Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:26 pm
    ----
have fun Gil!

#3: Re: Disposing of collections Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 1:57 pm
    ----
sad times ahead for the poor chap,hopefully you will be able to get fair prices for his stuff to help out his family in this troubled time.

#4: Re: Disposing of collections Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:47 pm
    ----
As Elvis said...sad time ahead for the poor fellow, and his family. I suppose in some respects it will be a sad time for you and your mate as well...loosing a friend and relative and then packing up what is a lovingly built collection.

Chances are you will stumble onto some good deals in your labour of love mate. Good Luck.

#5: Re: Disposing of collections Author: OldSchoolRanger PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:30 pm
    ----
Sorry to hear about his BIL, sorry to hear about anyone that we know with a terminal condition. The only thing that we can hope for is that when the time comes, we face it with grace.

#6: Re: Disposing of collections Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 4:21 pm
    ----
I examined several of the military rifles today. They are in very bad shape, have rusted exteriors and the bores are very dark. Someone apparently shot corrosive military ammo and failed to properly clean the bores. At best these are parts guns and it is really sad. I gave my opinion and my boss accepted it with grace. It is what it is. I am reluctant to look at more of the collection, but will do it. I hate it when that happens. All the best...
Gil

#7: Re: Disposing of collections Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:46 pm
    ----
I'm hearing you Gil...nothing worse than someone not looking after things that need regular attention. Having said that, his last year or so may very well have been hard and cleaning guns was the furthest thing from his mind.

#8: Re: Disposing of collections Author: OldSchoolRanger PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 4:35 pm
    ----
Maybe you'll get lucky and find something like a pre-64 Winchester Model 70 in 308Win. in good condition. Man, that would be something to set me to drooling.

#9: Re: Disposing of collections Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:51 pm
    ----
My soon-to-be-son-in-law Has his FFL and has been bringing collections on consignment and doing pretty well selling them.

#10: Re: Disposing of collections Author: SingleShotLoverLocation: Illinois PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 8:18 pm
    ----
Sadly, most firearms depreciate rather than increase in value. Often this comes as a surprise to the owner. My uncle had a large collection of John Wayne commemorates that I could never convince him would never be worth more than they cost. At the time, everyone had commemoratives including tin boxes and stickers. A well-attended auction after his death brought pennies on the dollar for numerous unfired firearms, not counting commemorative ammo that sold for less than off-the-shelf ammo.
Sorry to hear of your friend's illness. My prayers go out to him.

#11: Re: Disposing of collections Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2017 3:36 pm
    ----
Prices vary all over the place and across the country. I agree that firearms may go down in value, but on the other hand some prices are really soaring. Especially in military firearms if they are in original good or better condition. Look at the current prices of military rifles like Springfields, Mausers, Krags, M1 Garands, M1 Carbines. The same is true for military handguns like G.I. 1911s, Lugers, P-38s, Mauser broomhandles. So it really depends. If one can buy low on desirable firearms they can often get ahead financially. All the best...
Gil

#12: Re: Disposing of collections Author: stovepipeLocation: Pine, Az. PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:27 pm
    ----
Gil Martin wrote:
It is a sad story and makes me wonder about myself at some point down the road. All the best...
Gil

True- and the older I get the more safe-queens I take out and blast til the ammo is gone. Very Happy

Can't shoot 'em when I'm takin' a dirt nap! Shocked

Get and and shoot, boys! Cool

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions