Father and Son big day out.
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:21 am
    ----
Nathan Gorseprickle is back home living with us again after six months experience in other end of the country.
Saturday was tail end of rain so we got stuck in and he learnt basics of reloading and we put together 35 loads for his .308 (150grn hornady sp,47grns win 748 ) a couple of shots into cardboard box,couple of clicks of scope,next two shots right on money and less than inch apart...good to go Cool
we got up at some ungodly hour this morning and heading down to our favourite stomping ground to rid the countryside of Aussie overstayers Very Happy
in the 25 years Ive hunted this block I had never walked up track in the dark...well we have done that now,cresting ridge into open ground right on first light.
we started seeing the odd wobbly but it wasnt until we got over first ridge that we shot first one.
the 50 grn varmageddons sure do work good guys..... lifted front leg that had small hole in it and sliced it off...there was NOTHING between there and far side skin....bits of lung /spine/chest/blood but nothing attached....if I had cut other side skin wobbly would have fallen in half.

#2: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: Natdogg PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:30 am
    ----
Sunrise and senic

#3: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:48 am
    ----
cool that worked!!!!
tag team posting Very Happy
we carried on down ridge and spotted group of wobblies across gully,a few shots from the .308 didnt have desired effect and .223 didnt do much better...barrel stretching Sad
we crossed over and shot a couple each then got into position to do some long range snipeing.....couldnt get another hit with .308 Sad plurry scope had shifted Mad Mad my bad....the old weaver clip overs have been on and off too many times and lost spring Mad Mad
"never mind son my fault use the .223"
woohoo back in business with lad snotting a few straight away,we got out mercator pocket knife and moved scope back into place and managed to kill a few with both rifles....we were having an absolute ball Very Happy
we kept walking homeward shooting wobblies as we went.
at one point in time we could see 26 at same time (will post some photos once Ive shrunk them a bit)
got back to knoll where Rumpy was dealing to wobblies with his .270 previous weekend and sat down,there was 2 sunning themselves to our left lad snotted one with 08 then we spotted more ,a couple of unsuccessful shots saw us switch back to .223 and we just kept dealing out them naaaast wee 50grainers to great effect Very Happy
we think final tally was 18-20 some of the kills were absolute smackdown jobs with one wobbly going completely arse over kite,head up one second,tail up the next.
we reluctantly packed up and headed homeward with 6 rounds left between us (from 60 taken Very Happy )
the lad got out his new gerber machete and dealt to some of the gorse on track on way back down hill
so we are a tad puckerooed and peeved about scope issues (lad got home and purchased 4x12x40mm leupold and rings) look out now you pesky wobblies
all up a great day.
proud Dad Elvis

#4: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:55 am
    ----
big hua

#5: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:56 am
    ----
holy smoke Batman...how many????

#6: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:03 am
    ----
some more, these taken at 5-700 yards by young fella.

#7: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: radarLocation: North Island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:44 am
    ----
Sounds like you boys had a great day out - actually Elvis had the cheek to ring me while he was out hunting - showing off!

#8: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:49 am
    ----
wha---wha---wha----nah bro just catching up,letting you know what ya missing out on Sad
got your interest up Mate...... now when you down here next we will see how good that wee rusky beastie of yours is Cool

#9: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:57 am
    ----
radar wrote:
Sounds like you boys had a great day out - actually Elvis had the cheek to ring me while he was out hunting - showing off!

Surprised Surprised Laughing Laughing oh well Radar...you now have an incentive to get down there mate and bag a few.

#10: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2023 9:30 pm
    ----
shikes that brings back memories...
went up to another new favourite are today with Bro in law
7 shots fired and 5 wallabies hopped off into the never never land or where ever they go...the 50grn varmageddons work just as good in the triple two.
also saw a BULL TAHR of all things..was like seeing elephant walk down main street..miles away from tahr country...he was 250-300 yards away from us and moving away,we tried to close gap but he must have heard us as gapped it off into sunrise..we covered the 350 yards to where he had gone out of sight and spotted him 7-800 yards away still heading away..yeah nah not chasing that.
awesome time stalking down through open bush canopy..home by 13;00 for a nana nap LOL.
took leg off a young wally...sliced it up thin,maranating in concocttion ,will get SWMBO to dehydrate it for me in a few days..wobbly jerky isnt half bad.

#11: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 4:43 pm
    ----
A good day out in the ooloo mate. If you’ve seen one tahr, there will no doubt be others…I can’t imagine a bull being out there without a girlie or two in the mix. Wink Wink

What’s the latest on young Nathan mate…does he still go out on hunts with you?

#12: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: tikkat3 PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 2:28 pm
    ----
I like seeing them from the bedroom

#13: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2023 5:00 pm
    ----
Beautiful place you are in Mike.

#14: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2023 10:05 pm
    ----
out the bedroom window..it would be just like Basil brush ...BOOM BOOM BOOM

#15: Re: Father and Son big day out. Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 4:19 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
out the bedroom window..it would be just like Basil brush ...BOOM BOOM BOOM

Be careful they don’t call their big cousin to assist mate…he’s a big boy.

-> Varmint Hunting