Where's the snow???
-> General

#1: Where's the snow??? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:43 pm
    ----
Sitting here in the heart of the rocky mountains, my home sits at 4100ft elevation and I am surrounded on 2 sides by towering mountains over 10,000ft high. Hardly a wiff of snow is visible. The next possible storm may... may be on Dec 22.

But I see on the news, Texas got 6" of snow??? Army Navy football game going on in Philly is so snowed out you cannot even see field markers?

Really weird!

This probably going to be another one of those years I regret owning snowmobiles and having to pay registration fees only to leave them in storage all year. Its amazing we had stunning amounts of snow this past winter (I've never seen snowfall so deep where we go ice fishing... literally every fence was covered and you could ride anywhere, at will), then we get a super low snow year.

But, its sure pretty! I'm not complaining. Deer and Elk herds are off to a great winter survival if this keeps up.

Sorry to you east coasters and apparently deep south Texas people who have to deal with what should be our storms lol!

-DallanC

#2: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: pete4dLocation: Dixie , Alabama , & Louisiana PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:33 pm
    ----
Alabama,,, We had 2 1/2 - 3 inches here in the central part of the state

#3: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: Loke PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:20 pm
    ----
I think you missed your elevation a bit. My house is at 4700, yours a bit higher than that. Hopefully we'll get some snow soon, but the bright side is that without the snow cover in the valley, the inversion won't set in as hard and we won't get the fog like we did back in '85. Those were a miserable couple of months. Especially when the heater in your car doesn't work, and it gets down to -20 or below every night.

#4: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: dhc4everLocation: Ipswich, Queensland Australia PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 11:26 pm
    ----
Snow?
In December?
At 130 ft?
Nup.
90 to 95 deg, humid with heavy rain, thunderstorms and if you're really lucky hail the size of cricket ball's.

#5: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:57 am
    ----
Whine, snivel, whimper...It's glow-ball warming. Didn't you know?

#6: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:35 am
    ----
wtf El Nino ???

#7: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: TremblayLocation: Malta, Montana PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:02 pm
    ----
Mother nature

#8: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:10 pm
    ----
Found some

#9: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 3:26 pm
    ----
More than a foot of snow in parts of the UK today - most there's been since 2012.
No snow here in NW England but it's stayed below freezing all day & forecast to be the same tomorrow.
I think I'll get out & see if there's any pigeons around on the farms.

#10: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:16 pm
    ----
“dhc4ever” wrote:
...90 to 95 deg, humid with heavy rain, thunderstorms and if you’re really lucky hail the size of cricket balls.

Not all of the thunderstorms have hit us, but the damn humidity found us ok. We don’t often get hail here, and when we do it’s pea or marble size and harmless. We had one day when I thought we were going to get smashed...it was blacker than the inside of a dog’s guts...and th3n some...but it blew by and smashed a different area.

No snow though...it would be nice if we were to get some.

My daughter said they got heaps of snow overnight in Innsbruck, Austria, and we had news reports of the UK copping a solid dusting overnight , with some areas getting their first real snow in years as well.

Fingers crossed Dallan...I know you guys rely on the snow runoff for your water catchment so you have drinking water next summer.

#11: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 7:51 pm
    ----
Sweating heavily in my workshop here.
Darn it is hot..

#12: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: AloysiusLocation: B., Belgium PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 2:39 am
    ----
gelandangan wrote:
Sweating heavily in my workshop here.
Darn it is hot..

yesterday we got wind and snow during a faisanthunt. NOT funny! Maybe it's my age, but looking at my dog, I'm not sure of it. And when snow is falling, it's still wet and sticky. I like more when it's frozen. So when you're wet and de wind is blowing, only very tough nuts keep on going... maybe aging do make things soft.

But: I still prefer the cold instead of the hot sweating breath-taking temperature... but I blame that on all these preceding years smoking sigarets instead of the lack of training now.

So when you wonder where the snow is, some of it is right here (and we don't need nor want it)

#13: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 9:51 am
    ----
Friday morning it was 12F at the lease when I went hunting (North TX). The TX snow as all south of us. Its continued to warm up and we are supposed to be over 80F today, breaking the high temp record for this date.

The weekend before this last one (Dec 2), I was pulling dandelions and watching butterflies around our flowering Lantanas with temps in the 80s also.

#14: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:26 am
    ----
There is nothing like a world wide weather report, soooo.....

Ava, Missouri...40*F this morning and expected to reach 60*F by afternoon. Clear sky and no clouds in sight for the next week.

#15: Re: Where's the snow??? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:16 am
    ----
We are staying below freezing for the next couple of days but the snow is staying in the mountains so far. Just as the temps start to warm up the rain will be here for a few days. I did have to put the winter tires on our cars due to the fog freezing on the roads.

-> General