Federal Component Bullets
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Federal Component Bullets Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:53 am
    ----
Does anyone have any experience with these:

www.federalpremium.com...onded-tip/

The 180 grain version shoots great in factory ammo from my 300 Win Mag, averaging right at .850 groups at 100 yds.

I killed a Mule Deer doe this year (really really dead) with the factory load and was considering ordering a couple boxes to develop some handloads with them.

They have kinda a hybrid design...a front lead core with a solid copper shank. I don’t think this is the only bullet out there like this, but can’t think of any others at the moment.

#2: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:40 pm
    ----
I have not done any terminal performance testing on this bullet. I have shot the 130 grain factory out of a .270 Win. It was very accurate - 1/2 MOA. It's construction should be terminally effective, hold together, with good penetration.

#3: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:57 pm
    ----
The use of a copper shank is to move the center of gravity forward. That should make the bullet more stable under all conditions even in the transonic velocity region. Bonded core construction is great for holding a bullet together on impact but can limit expansion unless the jacket is properly designed for the impact velocity. The plastic tips are mostly a gimmick that fails most often. I have had tipped bullets break the tip during seating and they have been shown to melt off in flight. Hornady performed tests and determined that the tips were melting in flat and have changed, at least some, bullet tip chemistry to prevent that problem. I haven't heard any other manufacturers doing the same. It was Hornady bullets that the tips fractured when seating for my 223. The bullets were the 60 grain V-Max and each one split the tip and shed a piece of it. I traced the problem to the tip catching on the edge of the seating plug and carefully expanded the inside bevel to prevent it in the future. I have since decided to use 55 grain FMJBT bullets instead.

#4: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:44 am
    ----
nosler do a projectile with very thick rear base and the rear or cup is way thicker than normal...so similar.... what your desribing should be good at 300 mag velocity but piss poor at .308 speed UNLESS they do /copy Nosler partition and make front very soft but most manufactures seem to be chasing the fast magnum market not the slow and reliable one.......mores the pity.

#5: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:52 pm
    ----
slimjim wrote:
I have not done any terminal performance testing on this bullet. I have shot the 130 grain factory out of a .270 Win. It was very accurate - 1/2 MOA. It's construction should be terminally effective, hold together, with good penetration.

Slim,

Do you feel like doing some testing on them?

I will be placing an order with Larry Potterfiield soon and was thinking of adding a couple boxes each of .308 165 gr and 180 gr. I could ship some to you if you are interested.

I can’t find any reference on Federal’s website as to the bullets length or BC

#6: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:59 pm
    ----
PaulS wrote:
I have had tipped bullets break the tip during seating and they have been shown to melt off in flight. Hornady performed tests and determined that the tips were melting in flat and have changed, at least some, bullet tip chemistry to prevent that problem. I haven't heard any other manufacturers doing the same.

Paul,

Federal claims that the tip on this bullet is less susceptible to heat degradation/deformation than even Hornady’s newer plastic tips used on their ELD/X and ELD Match bullets

#7: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:44 am
    ----
hehehe

#8: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:03 pm
    ----
Ohhh, getting shit by one of them buggers wouldn’t be pleasant...and imagine the Police finding a lego piece in a body trying to work out why.

#9: Re: Federal Component Bullets Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:22 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
Ohhh, getting shit by one of them buggers wouldn’t be pleasant...and imagine the Police finding a lego piece in a body trying to work out why.

I should think getting shot by one wouldn't be much fun either... Razz

-> Reloading Ammunition