TSA Paranoia
-> General

#1: TSA Paranoia Author: English MikeLocation: Whitehaven, Cumbria, UK PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:10 pm
    ----
Flying out of Albuquerque to Atlanta this morning & my cabin bag gets pulled for further inspection, the reason being a dark mass they can't identify.
Straight off, I know it's a 100 box of 130gr Sierra Matchking bullets & that's soon confirmed.
First thing I'm told is they're not allowed, as they're "ammunition", so I point out that they're inert lumps of metal & less dangerous than the bone china plate that's in the same case.
Off he goes to fetch a supervisor who gives the same BS, so being an awkward type, I asked for the regulation, chapter & verse that says bullets are banned.
Another layer up the food chain produces a similar result, except this one decides to haul in one of the airport cops, who comes over, takes one look & says "no reason why he can't take them, as the only way they'd be dangerous is by swallowing them".
So i get my bullets back & a suggestion that in future they go in my hold luggage (ain't doing that for other reasons).
Lesson learned is that before I do this again, I'll contact TSA HQ, get a definitive ruling that bullets are OK & print it off to produce at the appropriate moment.

Scratch

#2: Re: TSA Paranoia Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:35 pm
    ----
English Mike, components are ok but the reaction depends on the TSA location and individual. I left some snake shot in my backpack from a weekend hike. DFW TSA said no problem. As they were filling out the report, the agent struck up a conversation of interest. What pistol was I using, where was I hiking - like he wished he wished he had been with me.

Another time I left some spent cases in my backpack (forgot again). The DFW TSA agent said no problem and inspected each case to make sure the primers had been spent. Gave them back to me and said proceed. On my return back from Burbank CA, the reaction was quite different. I was pulled aside and met face to face with the head TSA agent. They wanted me to know how much hysteria I could cause by even having empty cases in my luggage. I told them they could keep the cases and asked if I could proceed.

Have a good flight back across the pond.

#3: Re: TSA Paranoia Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:56 pm
    ----
declare it all...if you have said its in there then there can be no suspition of trying to hide something....Slimjim you need to be better at remembering when you pack...anything in there is YOUR responsibility.
we have all watched border patrol shows on TV and seen the havoc when something isnt declared.

#4: Re: TSA Paranoia Author: slimjimLocation: Fort Worth TX PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:11 pm
    ----
Elvis wrote:
....Slimjim you need to be better at remembering when you pack...anything in there is YOUR responsibility.

Agreed

#5: Re: TSA Paranoia Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 10:52 pm
    ----
Only problem I had with TSA on my trip was a pack of Peanut Coffee M&Ms. For some reason they caused me to have a bag check every time I flew. . When they pulled them out they just smiled when I said “MINE, ya can’t have any cause I can’t get them in Australia”, they would laugh and said no problems.

Last edited by Vince on Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:11 am; edited 1 time in total

#6: Re: TSA Paranoia Author: ElvisLocation: south island New Zealand PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 12:02 am
    ----
if they had issue with that you wouldve had majorly quick scoff session LOL.

-> General