Swan Hunting?
-> Waterfowl Hunting

#1: Swan Hunting? Author: WileyWapitiLocation: NW Colorado PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 1:42 pm
    ----
I have this posted on another site as well, trying to drum up some info. I was scrolling through some hunting shows the other day in order to select a few to record. In doing so, I caught a description of Swan hunting in South Carolina. I did not realize that swans were a game bird here in the states, I am interested to hear any stories or info on this. I bet they taste like spotted owl!

I was in Canada a few years ago and had a flock of Trumpeter Swan go overhead, I thought they were snow geese until they flew over with their big bodies and long old necks, huge bird.

Fill me in!!!

#2: Re: Swan Hunting? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 2:47 pm
    ----
Swan is *EXCELLENT* tasting, seriously it beats any other kind of waterfowl such as geese. They have hunts here in Utah but you have to draw tags for them to gain the license. They are hard to find sometimes but fun to hunt. They are much larger than Greater Canada Geese. I have a picture at home of one I shot when I was 16. Thing had a huge wing span on it. In hindsite I should have had it mounted.

-DallanC

#3: Re: Swan Hunting? Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:05 pm
    ----
Cool As stated above, Swan is excellent fare! North Carolina has a season that this past year ran from 11/31/05 to 1/31/06 with a limit of 5000 permits. You must get drawn to obtain a permit, I have tried for the past 5 years with no success. One thing that you need to be cautioned about is to take care if you do get a permit, watch out for falling Tundra Swans! They carry a wallop if you get hit by one falling from the sky!!!! Cool

#4: Re: Swan Hunting? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:40 pm
    ----
I didn't know there was a season on swans.....! Surprised Ya learn something new every day. Smile

#5: Re: Swan Hunting? Author: Daveyboy PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:41 am
    ----
Can't shoot them over here in England. Protected species - they all belong to the queen.

What do they taste like? Bit like golden eagle...

Very Happy

D

-> Waterfowl Hunting