1895 WINCHESTER TAKE DOWN
-> General

#1: 1895 WINCHESTER TAKE DOWN Author: bradking1 PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:06 am
    ----
just purchased a winchester 1895 take down rifle...it's the limited version with case hardened reciever...only 500 made. I am looking for some opinions...do i shoot the thing or not? what would shooting do to it's future collector value if anything?

would love to hear everyone's thoughts.

#2: Re: 1895 WINCHESTER TAKE DOWN Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:12 am
    ----
bradking1,

If you want to keep the collector value of your rifle then it is best kept unfired. You sould also keep all the paperwork and original packaging in perfect condition. All the little things add to the value of the entire package. If you shoot the gun its value will drop.

If you don't care about the collector value then feel free to shoot it.

#3: Re: 1895 WINCHESTER TAKE DOWN Author: bradking1 PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 9:37 am
    ----
thanks Paul

i understand that keeping all the paperwork, boxes, etc, etc. but how much do you think it would affect the value if it was shot on a limited basis? as you can tell i'm dying to cork off some rounds but not sure if it would significantly detract from the value.

#4: Re: 1895 WINCHESTER TAKE DOWN Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 3:36 pm
    ----
Bradking1,

If you shoot 1 through it you might as well shoot 1000. The only way that shooting it won't take 20 - 30% off the collector value is if you shoot it at a target and shoot a sub MOA group and save the target and the unfired rounds with all the other paperwork.
I don't know whether the fired target and partial box of ammo will save the value or not but If you are going to shoot the rifle, it may be the only way to keep the value of the collection from suffering more. Don't take this wrong but collectors don't care about the accuracy of the weapon, they only care about the serial number and pristine condition of the artifact.

#5: Re: 1895 WINCHESTER TAKE DOWN Author: bradking1 PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 11:56 am
    ----
PaulS

thanks for the info...will have to see if my itchy trigger finger can handle not shooting it. Very Happy

-> General