Handloading Myths Exposed
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#1: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:57 am
    ----
Several contributors to this website have extensive handloading experience. Along with that experience comes The Truth about somethings and the debunking of "myths" about other things. For example, in a current thread about tumblers for cleaning brass, the "myths" of the necessity of primer pocket cleaning and the most accurate powders have been mentioned.

What other "myths" have you found to be unsubstantiated?

#2: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:20 am
    ----
Go ahead Handloader...Lead out. One persons "myth" is another persons "belief"... I have been handloading for 20 years or so and have dispelled several "myths" and invented some, too. If the "myth" is not detrimental to that handloader. No foul. If it is, then it should definately be dispelled in public. Otherwise.............................

I like the one that states that some powders are exactly alike (the same). But are listed in load manuals on seperate lines and different charge weights and have different burn rates on the burn charts. Definately one of my favorites. Very Happy

And what's wrong with cleaning out primer pockets??? Confused

#3: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: squirrelbaitLocation: Nottingham, NH PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:00 pm
    ----
Hmmmmm....myths, primer pockets. Seems like "myth" is a strong word.
I subscribe to KISS and "what ever works best for me"...........until someone tells me what I am doing IS detrimental to my health. wtf
But I am open for new ideas.

#4: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 12:04 pm
    ----
L O L...That's kinda straddling the fence isn't it Squirrelbait??? I have to agree with you on the KISS theory. It is a good one and in some things I too, subscribe to it.

#5: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: skb2706 PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:24 pm
    ----
Some powder comparisons are myths. Truth be known there are not nearly as many "different" kinds of powders than would first appear. Many are "same product" different name and package.

#6: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: Daveyboy PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:38 pm
    ----
I want to hear more about primer pockets. I've spent money on this little tool to clean them all out and it works fine for me.

If anything, it's theraputic - a bit like ironing a shirt. Sorry guys - the forces thing is hard to lose. Confused

D

#7: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 6:22 pm
    ----
Daveyboy wrote:
I want to hear more about primer pockets. D

Davey: What shall we say about primer pockets? They are like belly buttons? Everybody has one; cleaning may be advisable from an aesthetic standpoint, but maybe not. Smile

I, too have a couple of marvelous tools for cleaning them--primer pockets, that is... although they are of a proper size ...hmmmm... This may require more study.

Before I got swept away with technology, I used a small screwdriver , and have not found anything better. But, then, I don't clean primer pockets very often, either.

One "myth", actually a reality, that I DO NOT like is some guys' use of a 'Duplex" load for rifle or pistol cartridges. Mad That is a load of standard powder, over a "kicker" charge of fast pistol powder. Why? For better ignition? Magnum primers are more consistent. It is an intriguing idea, but does tend to frighten the horses.

#8: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:09 pm
    ----
Primer pockets are of no concern to me ..
I dont get to excited over tumbling either for that matter ..
I dont get too concerned over ( in a rifle ) loads being off 3 or 4 tenths from one another .. No affect on accuracy ..
After nearly forty years of reloading , I have found most myths are just that , and have also found out that you really dont need 99.5% of the stuff they try to sell you for reloading ..

#9: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: roklokLocation: Fairbanks, Alaska PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:02 pm
    ----
Primer pockets,hhhhmmm. I have never had to clean the primer pockets on rifle cases no matter how many loadings.For some reason though handgun cases,especially 44 Mags,require cleaning about every 2-3 loadings so primers will properly seat.I am not sure why,maybe the faster burning propellant?

#10: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:07 pm
    ----
Daveyboy wrote:
I want to hear more about primer pockets. I've spent money on this little tool to clean them all out and it works fine for me.

If anything, it's theraputic - a bit like ironing a shirt. Sorry guys - the forces thing is hard to lose. Confused

D

Oh you are a sick man Daveyboy, but I know how you feel.

Like you I have this nifty little tool for cleaning primer pockets. I don't get a lot of crud in the pockets, but one must assume that it will build up eventually and then the primer MAY not seat fully into the primer pocket. I suppose in the extreme it could leave a small space between the primer and the flash hole allowing the flame to spread a little in the pocket before igniting the powder in the case. This MAY reduce the effectiveness of the primer.

Now, I am only hypothetising here, but one never knows so I clean my primer pockets with my nifty little tool. Anyway, I bought the damn thing so I have to justify ownership of it. Laughing Razz Laughing

As for cleaning cases. Shiny ones look nice, but if they are clean on the outside.....that is, no dirt or grit etc, then does it make a difference to accuracy? So long as there is no crud on the outside to mark the chamber or reloading dies I don't see that it makes much difference. Shiny is nice though ain't it, aesthetically pleasing. Razz

Now there is at least one possible myth to debunk. Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#11: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 8:39 pm
    ----
Yeah I've noticed the 44 mag primer pockets have a bunch of crud .. Mebbe yur right , but , for whatever reason , they do build up fast ..

#12: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: mc223Location: S/E Kansas PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 10:50 pm
    ----
Hello All,
since we are involved in a discusion on myths and primer pockets, what about flash hole uniforming and flash hole deburring.
I do not clean primer pockets. I took an expended primer out of the hole that was clean and tight. the only thing that will change is that tiny area just in front of the primer near the flash hole. so when a new primer is inserted in that hole it should fit just as snugly as the old one, right.

#13: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: Flint54Location: North Carolina PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:41 pm
    ----
Cheers Primer pocket and flash hole uniforming is a viable technique. Now the big question is will it be a benifit. I can only state for me the following.

1) When done on cases that are also weighed for uniform consistancy along with precise trimming it does contribute to better accuracy when used in a firearm capable of taking advantage of the work. In my more precise rigs ie. .223 Varmint, 6mmPPC and .308 Target setups it can account for close to a .125 - .250" measurable diffrence.

2) When done with random cases in a general use firearm that someone is only looking for "Hunting Accuracy" it IMO is extra work. If you want to do it then by all means go for it. I seriously doubt that you would notice any measurable diffrence.

One thing that I do to all my cases it to clean the interior flash hole, being that all cases made in the US have the flash hole punched in the case this action produces a burr inside the case. I don't like this as it does change the flame pattern from the primer and does cause a variation in the burning of the powder. In many cases I am probably just wasting time but it's a routine when I get a batch of new cases. Cool

#14: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 11:46 pm
    ----
Here's a few more:

- Scopes gather light, and

- Large objective scopes gather more light.

- Many cartridges are inherently more accurate than others.

- Longer barreled handguns are more accurate than shorter barrel handguns.

- Magnum primers are needed for large volumes of powder.

#15: Re: Handloading Myths Exposed Author: Daveyboy PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 2:02 am
    ----
I'e just had a thought about tumbling. Isn't the point of cleaning cases to get the insides clean? I mean, who cares about the outside of the case? It's what happens inside that matters. That's life, I suppose. Confused

If tumbling polishes the outside of the case and it has no effect on the performance of the cartridge then surely this process is purely cosmetic? Asthetic desires being satisfied and nothing to do with performance. Shocked

Anyone want to buy a tumbler? Hardly used... Very Happy Very Happy

Confession time. I have currently got 100 .308 nickle plated cases in the damn thing as we speak. Why? Bright and shiny things...

Got to go - shoes to polish, shirts to iron, busy busy busy

Daveyboy.

-> Reloading Ammunition