Just Some Thoughts
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Just Some Thoughts Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:55 pm
    ----
This past year I bought my first Savage rifle, a Mod. 12FV-S in .223. I had heard for some time that they were very accurate and I'd agree. I had been thinking that I'd love to have one rifle that could do it all. To shoot that one rifle as often as possible and really get to know it and master it. Well the idea of one do it all cartridge is somewhat of a dream. Some could do it all, but none could be the best at all. That's when a thought struck me. The new Stevens rifles are nothing more than a Savage without an accutrigger, still very accurate and more to the point extremely affordable. So I bought one in .243, one in 7mm-08 and another in .30-06. Each feels just like the other, functions the same, and has the trigger set to the same 3.25lbs. They are all zeroed to the same distance of 200 yards, and with the exception of the heavier barreled .223 Savage, they all weigh about the same. Three are short actions, but the one long action doesn't feel that much different either. So I guess what I'm getting at is now I can shoot any one of these rifles and have it feel just like the others. Sure the recoil is going to be different, but that don't matter until after you pull the trigger.

Don

#2: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:33 pm
    ----
BigBlue, when did you get the 3 you mentioned here? How much of an investment was that?

Like you, one gun doesn't work for me. Though I have many, I like my Bushmaster .223, my Savage .243, my Browning 30-06 auto, my Weatherby 300 Mag. I have an assortment of pistols & revolvers also, because I can't have one that does it all. My favorite being the S&W 460 which comes close to one that does it all. Then there's the shotguns. Again there isn't one that does it all. I have trap & skeet covered, but for hunting, I like my over/unders for upland game.

I imagine, most who post here are like me, one "do it all gun" doesn't exist Very Happy
Keep it coming...

#3: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: popgunLocation: Mitchell, GA, U.S.A. (2007 pop. 191) PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:50 pm
    ----
Quote::
one "do it all gun" doesn't exist

A-men! Very Happy That's why gun racks and safes don't usually come in ones. It's usually two and fours in gun racks with some sixes thrown in. The gun safes have all those nooks and cranies for the guns you want. Then one day you find yourself needing another gun rack or safe. There is always another gun to fit the need of some hunting or shooting type. Very Happy

BigBlue,
Your are well on your way to a gun safe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Keep shooting and welcome to HuntingNut.

#4: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 9:14 pm
    ----
The general rule for riflemen is that you aren't happy until you have one more firearm. No justification needed.

#5: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:55 am
    ----
BigBlue,
I am quite fond of Savage rifles and picked up several like-new Model 110s in .270 and .30-06 off the used gun racks. They are very accurate. All the best...
Gil

#6: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 6:22 am
    ----
george20042007 wrote:
BigBlue, when did you get the 3 you mentioned here? How much of an investment was that?

I started at the beginning of the year. Total for the three Stevens rifles was $790.00 plus tax. Same rifles as the pre-accutrigger Savage mod. 110 or 10. All are pillar bedded with the free floated barrels. The Savage 12FV-S .223 was a bit more at $350. It has the exact same stock as the Stevens rifles. You can tell it came out of the same mold just a different color stock. The grey synthetic stocks are no where near as pretty as many other rifles out there, but they can shoot with the best of them. I painted all of mine.

Don

#7: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: TomTalkerLocation: SW Ontario PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:54 am
    ----
I like the paw print in the camo. Nice touch of class. I have the 116 in .223 that is about due for a painting. Shoots as good as anything I own with 55 Vmax or 52 AMax and 748/tt

#8: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 1:12 pm
    ----
The .30-06 Stevens went to the range for the first time today. I have a fixed power Leupold 3X32 M8 scope on it. I wanted to break in the barrel before using the Barnes 168gr. bullets that I bought for it. I had some various Sierra .308" bullets in 165gr. and 180gr. so I used them. The first were 180gr. I fired a shot and cleaned it, about ten times over. It takes a while! Then I started two shots and cleaning. Again a long process. These shots were at a target at 50 yards and the 180gr. two shot groups were tightening up with each progressive group fired. The last I fired was .3" two shot group. Then I switched to three shot goups and 165gr. Sierra GK bullets. With 59.0gr. of H4350, they were shooting 1 ragged hole groups at 50 yards. Groups measured around .2" at 50 yards. All told I shot about 100 rounds through it. I think it's time to load some of those Barnes bullets for it!
Don

#9: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:32 pm
    ----
Handloader wrote:
The general rule for riflemen is that you aren't happy until you have one more firearm. No justification needed.

I thought it was If there was still room in the safe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Keep it coming...

#10: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 3:43 pm
    ----
george20042007 wrote:
Handloader wrote:

I thought it was If there was still room in the safe Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Keep it coming...

Isn't it's a combination of the two. You should always have one more rifle than will fit in the safe or safes.
Don

#11: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:03 pm
    ----
Yea Savages are becoming very popular lately. I really like that camo paint scheme and the footprints really set it off!

-DallanC

#12: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:13 pm
    ----
DallanC wrote:
Yea Savages are becoming very popular lately. I really like that camo paint scheme and the footprints really set it off!

-DallanC

Thanks!
I was never much of a tupperware fan, always loved the look of a nicely grained piece of walnut, but I had to dress up those generic looking grey synthetic stocks somehow. Krylon's Fussion rattle can paint was my easy answer. I used several different leaf pattern stencils from a local craft shop. So far the paint is holding up to the bore cleaner, but I'm trying to be careful with it.
Don

#13: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:59 am
    ----
Big Blue,
Nice idea about the three guns.

Some time ago, when I returned to hunting, I decided to have a gun for each critter I would hunt, then a gun for each critter I might hunt, then a paper target gun, then a etc., etc Very Happy Very Happy

Only problem is that I am now out of safe(s) room.
Ed

#14: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: BigBlueLocation: Lehigh Township, Pennsylvania PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:16 pm
    ----
SwampFox wrote:
Big Blue,
Nice idea about the three guns.

Thanks Ed. I had thought a long time about one gun/cartridge that I could use for everything. A few cover a couple of tasks, but none do it all. As affordable as these rifles are, it was a good solution for me.

SwampFox wrote:
Some time ago, when I returned to hunting, I decided to have a gun for each critter I would hunt, then a gun for each critter I might hunt, then a paper target gun, then a etc., etc Very Happy Very Happy
Only problem is that I am now out of safe(s) room.
Ed

Now I could probably help you out with that problem. I looked and still have a bit of room left in my safe. I don't mind keeping an eye on any guns that don't fit in your safe! Laughing
Don

#15: Re: Just Some Thoughts Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:59 pm
    ----
Looks like we need to have a "Man Law" about the # of guns oneshould have Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Keep it coming...

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions