what .300
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#16: Re: what .300 Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:36 pm
    ----
Live and learn. I had no idea it was that difficult to buy rifles and shotguns across the Can-Am border. I know that lots of Canadians buy things in the US and figured it would be a fairly simple process. I learned something new today.

#17: Re: what .300 Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:57 pm
    ----
PaulS,

Its even worse trying to import from Canada to the US from what I hear Questar doesnt even do it anymore for example. Smile

Dimitri

#18: Re: what .300 Author: LittleMagnumLocation: Vermont PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:06 am
    ----
Hands down buy the Browning a-bolt Ti (Titanium) at 5 1/2 lbs it is hands down one of the lightest production guns out there ( JUST UNDER $1400). I have pointed one in 300 short mag, it is the cat's me-ow Period ! 300 ultra has more power, but it weighs over 2 pounds more ! ..................I just picked up another 300win mag, a lighted up Rem stainless 700, 23 inch flulted Krieger brl, with a CDL wood stock it weigh's 6 lbs 6 oz, .......my plan is to hunt with it as is this year, then replace the stock, with a good lightweight Bell and Carlso synthetic, they offer the same stock as on the Ti browning, which I like, but in black. I am hoping to get my new gun down in the 5 lb 1/2 pound range naked with the new light weight stock.

#19: Re: what .300 Author: Deleted_User_2665 PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 8:09 pm
    ----
I just traded off my 300RUM...towards the materials/labor for the rebarrel of my ol' faithful 30-06 along with a few other things.

Didn't like the RUM...I dig lottsa speed in a 180 grainer so it wasn't too fast. I dig Kool accuracy with TSX bullets so it wasn't too accurate. I'm 6'4, weigh 265 pounds, and smile atcha when you thump me in the head...so it weren't the recoil......

What I didn't dig was...

1.) Brass is hard to get...none locally
2.) Factory ammo...cheap crap goes 45 bux a box locally.
3.) Factory ammo...Good Stuff goes in excess of 55 bux locally.
4.) Factory ammo needs to be ordered...locally.
5.) After three handloadings...primers literally fell out of the cases at well under max loads...

I'll stick to the all time favorite '06 and kill stuff less the agravation.....

#20: Re: what .300 Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:44 pm
    ----
I have to thank everyone for the info, nice to see the different opinions. It is hard to find some of this stuff out if you don't know someone who actually owns one of the calibers mentioned. Always good and bad no matter what cartridge, but this has given me a bit more insight on which one to go with. I was out on the weekend shooting my good old Win Mod 70 30-06 at a 8 inch plate placed a 300 yards and wondered why I was even thinking of buying a new gun. Just nice to try something different I guess. One thing I do know that I will never sell that 30-06. Very Happy

#21: Re: what .300 Author: robfromaz1977Location: Arizona's White Mountains PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2006 5:42 pm
    ----
I own a .300 UM and have no complaints. It kicks a little hard but a sims recoil pad helps alot. I also have two 30-06's that I would never part with.

#22: Re: what .300 Author: GrantLocation: Grande Prairie, Alberta PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 9:37 am
    ----
That 30-06 of yours has no problem with taking anything from deer to moose cleanly. Use something like a 180 gr bullet and you have one load for all seasons, and it will stop a Griz. For moose I use my 7mm rem mag and my hunting partner uses his 300 win. He uses a great big 225 gr bullet in his and although it's not as flat shooting as lets say a 180 gr, it sure does hit hard. Just have to aim a little higher out a 300+ yards.

If your really acurate with your 30-06, you really don't need anything heavier. If you just want a new gun, I'd go with the 300 win or my favorite, the 7 MM Rem mag.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions