Hog hunters, I need help.
Go to page Previous  1, 2  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#16: Re: Hog hunters, I need help. Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:44 am
    ----
Kbis,

I dont know if they hunted Hogs so the 36caliber air rifles use on hogs isn't tested as far as I know still a thought. Smile

Dimitri

#17: Re: Hog hunters, I need help. Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:20 am
    ----
Ive taken a few in southern Tennessee, near Georgia, with my DEP 44 mag, place your shot carefully and you will be eating pork in no time.
I hunted over an exsisting wallow and was very sucsesfull.

#18: Re: Hog hunters, I need help. Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 12:18 am
    ----
Lot's of good advice here. I've hunted them by using corn on the cob scattered around a watering hole they frequent, getting on stand early in the morning. They don't move around much two hours after sun rise.

The other method is having others drive them to you using dogs. We would station ourselves on high ground as the pigs would run up when driven.

Good choice on guns. Large calibers are best as they don't present themselves like deer, and most often they will be on the run when you take a shot, they are tough customers. They are near sighted so you can get close if you are down wind from them. Hunting pigs, I think, is the best hunting you can do, better than deer, elk, moose, or bear.
Keep it coming...

#19: Re: Hog hunters, I need help. Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 5:38 am
    ----
Went out and looked around and saw lots of signs around a small pond. My buddy is brewing up some magic elixir that is supposed to bring them running (he says).

My friend has a pop up blind that he wants to hunt from. The only problem is the pond is like a bowl and the only time you will see them is when they crest the top. Also I am not all that thrilled about sitting in a nylon teepee with an iriate pig running around should we happen to wound one. So I have bought a tree stand at Wal-Mart, I would rather be 12 foot up in the air. I was hoping to put it up today, except we are now under a tornado watch so we shall see.

#20: Re: Hog hunters, I need help. Author: kbisLocation: East, Texas PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 6:59 pm
    ----
Went out a few days ago and put some of his magic elixir out for the pigs, in the mean time we got over 3" of rain. So tonight went tried our luck at hunting, nothing. I am figuring that before we were in a draught that forced the hogs to the pond and now all the little streams have water in them. I did hear what sounded like pigs behind me in the brush/trees where there is an old stream bed. It also has turned cold so maybe the just hunkered down for the night.

I did get to see 6 ducks fly in and play around in the pond and watch 10 deer cross about 300 yards from me.

We will give it another try in a few days.

#21: Re: Hog hunters, I need help. Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 5:56 pm
    ----
kbis wrote:
This sounds like huting deer with an attitude :).

Kind of but, they've got ALL the attitude. While on leave in Fla. I shot a hog, a 250 - 300 pound Russian boar. I took one look at me and charged. One shot from my .243 with 100gr Rem. Cor-lokt stopped him dead in his tracks at about 30 yards which was a little close for my comfort. He definately had a bad attitude but, you talk about goooooooood eating.

-> Big Game Hunting