open sight shooting
-> Varmint Hunting

#1: open sight shooting Author: byb909 PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:29 pm
    ----
Hello, i'm new! I wish to do some open sight shooting with 223. I wanted to buy an NEF youth 223 and swap the butt stock. To what range are the open sights good for?

-or-

maybe I could install some fancy aperture type sights on a bare barrel?

Thank you!

If I've misplaced this post, sorry! Please direct me to an appropiate forum.

#2: Re: open sight shooting Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:30 am
    ----
Iron sights are good for 1000 yards at Wimbleton each year.
The 1000 yard match is shot with iron sights - no optical sights allowed. At 56 I couldn't do that but I might have been able to when I was younger. The sight isn't your limiting factor, its the ability of your eye to focus on both the front sight and the target at the same time. As long as you can do that then you can be accurate. I have trouble doing that beyond twenty-five yards so all my rifles have scopes on them.

#3: Re: open sight shooting Author: coyotehunter_1Location: Tennessee (USA) PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:11 pm
    ----
byb909,
Welcome to Hunting Nut! Smile

I see PaulS has given you some things to think about already: Smile
Quote::
The sight isn't your limiting factor, its the ability of your eye to focus on both the front sight and the target at the same time. As long as you can do that then you can be accurate.
Well said, Paul.

Smile

#4: Re: open sight shooting Author: DawgdadLocation: On the Prairie PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:59 pm
    ----
I shoot a .223 with iron sight accurately out to 600 yards in Highpower competition. As Paul says, it is all in how your eyes see the target and the sights. I use a rear aperature peep sight on my AR to help with this. Your ablity to get into a solid position in the field will probably limit your accuracy more than iron sights. If you can get into a solid position to shoot from, a .223 should be able to shoot point blank ( no hold over) from zero to about 250 yards with iron sight. This should be pretty good for most varmint hunting distances. Use the Pointblank program to figure out the exact range for the bullet and velocity in the load you shoot and the height of the front sight on your rifle. I like to check this out at a neighbors house where he has a 300 yard pasture. I set milk jugs out from 25 to 300 yards and see how many bullets it takes to hit 10 milk jugs. Very Happy

#5: Re: open sight shooting Author: A17ShooterLocation: California Foothills (Gold Country) PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:58 pm
    ----
Shot iron sights to 600 with an M1 while active duty USN. Then shot iron sight pistola to 500 meters (one special match) with a Wichita 40X 13" barrel 308. IHMSA shoots iron sight pistol to 200 meters as their regular match.

You can make up for some vision problems by using an aperature device to help extend the distance you are in focus for. Old eyes do have more probs with iron sights.

#6: Re: open sight shooting Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 5:45 pm
    ----
A17Shooter wrote:
Old eyes do have more probs with iron sights.

You got that right! Sad

#7: Re: open sight shooting Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 pm
    ----
sniper wrote:
A17Shooter wrote:
Old eyes do have more probs with iron sights.

You got that right! Sad
Welcome byb909.
I'll second that, in fact I don't have a rifle without a scope anymore......... Sad

#8: Re: open sight shooting Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:45 pm
    ----
Welcome, only friendly folks here.

I have a Williams peep site on a rifle and I can easily hit milk jugs at 200 yards. Peeps are easy and fast.

However, I much prefer scopes. Just easier to place shots and see into dark areas.

#9: Re: open sight shooting Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 12:50 pm
    ----
Old eyes? I ain't got no old eyes!!! Just make sure you are behind me...No scope on ol' "Jack Handle".

-> Varmint Hunting