How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting?
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next  :| |:
-> General

#1: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:09 pm
    ----
Just curious to see how many of us use a rangefinder when hunting. I did say "use" not own.

#2: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:11 pm
    ----
Just bought mine this year and use it every time when calling coyotes. And this weekend it got used while deer hunting (174 yard shot).

#3: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: DallanCLocation: Utah PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:18 pm
    ----
I use an older Bushnell 600 Yardage Pro. I use it for setting up targets at precisely 100 yards for target practice, to find ranges in my archery blind, and when muzzleloading to know if I'm nearing the edge of my shooting range for longer shots.

-DallanC

#4: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:57 pm
    ----
Ya don't have mine listed in the vote section. My range finder is manufactured by Guesstimation. The company has been around for a number of years. They also have an excellent warrenty. For life. Very Happy

#5: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 8:34 pm
    ----
Use mine for coyote calling. Pick out different rocks trees etc and range them before I start calling. Quick reference. Sniper

#6: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: SwampFoxLocation: Destin, Florida PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:42 am
    ----
I use a Nikon 800, a chronograph and a computer ballistics program with changable click adjustments. I print the corrections in an 8 font and tape them to the scope bell. Range the target, click, click, click.... no guess, dead nuts.

If you shoot mostly from a shooting house, as I do, you have time for such things.
Ed

#7: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:24 am
    ----
I use a Nikon when setting up for prairie dogs. It also helps improve my estimation ability. Since the majority of big game shots I've taken are under 200yds and since most of these opportunities require fast response, a rangefinder is not taken in the field. Shooting beyond 300yds doesn't interest me.

#8: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: squirrelbaitLocation: Nottingham, NH PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:54 am
    ----
Bushmaster has the only one that IMPROVES with age and is never out of calibration or batteries. Smile

#9: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: linceLocation: Madrid, Spain PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:35 am
    ----
Mine is a bushnell Yardage Pro Sport 450. I use it only when quick shot is not a must, and usually to help to calibrate the brand-new Gesstimation internal range tables. Good shot, Bushmaster! Wink

#10: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: Arizona Hunter PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:39 am
    ----
Bushmaster, sorry for leaving your finder off the list, but I admit I did not know of it. Where did you buy it?

By the way guys, mine is the Bushnell Yardage Pro Legend (waterproof).

#11: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: Matt1971Location: Kansas City, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:38 pm
    ----
I don't have one nor have i ever used one. I can't afford all that fancy stuff so i still have to judge everything in reference to a football field Crying or Very sad

#12: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: george20042007Location: Arizona PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 3:48 pm
    ----
Ironically, the only range finder I have is for playing golf. Funny I never had a need for using one in my shooting/hunting. I've always been pretty good at guessing distances to 300 yards, and rarely take shots any farther.
Keep it coming...

#13: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:12 pm
    ----
Matt1971...Sounds to me like you have a range finder just like mine.

Yer wrong Squirrelbait...It has to be calibrated from time to time. You are right about the batteries though.

That's O K Arizona Hunter. Believe it or not it's still a very popular ranging system. Vertually weightless...

Golf George? Now why would you use a range finder on a golf course? They stop posting the yardage at the Tees???

#14: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 4:40 pm
    ----
I use the Guesstimation method as well normally pretty good too. Smile

I try to carry the least amount of weight when hunting so never felt the need for a laser unit. Smile Plus batteries while in the outdoors scare me they manage to die when I need them the most. Sad

Dimitri

#15: Re: How many of you use a rangefinder for hunting? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:30 pm
    ----
I mostly use guesstimation but I also use my Bushnell Trophy rangefinder from time to time.

-> General