input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#31: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:45 am
    ----
Saw a nature show/documentary a few weeks back over here in Australia about wolves. A group is trying to breed Mexican wolves into a "family" group then easing them into the wild with a view to them becoming self sufficient, which they appear to be achieving.

Don't know where it is in the USA but their belief is that the balance of nature was upset with the near wiping out of wolves. They plan on trying to restore that balance. Have a vague recollection of the wolves starting to track and hunt elk, so that might give you some sort of an indication where they may be. They also said that they had lost a couple to farmers....may have been sheep farmers.... but the wolf pack was getting stronger and surviving.

Cheers, Vince

#32: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: stablebuckLocation: Layton, UT PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:40 am
    ----
yeah I have heard of buddies seeing some things larger than coyotes over here in northern utah adjacent to the idaho border with the raft river mountains. I think it would be awesome to see a wolf in person out on the range. Someone doesn't like the wolves...maybe you should buy the land and manage it yourself.

#33: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: captbrian PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:06 pm
    ----
sorry for the long absence fellows, i spent a good bit of time during the holidays in georgia hunting, some offshore fishing to try to tackle the bills i piled up diring my hunting, and still doing a little blackpowder hunting here in florida, for at least another week. thanks for all the input, i'm still undecided as to a specific caliber, but probably something with a .30 base. once again, thanks for all the help,

captbrian

#34: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:47 pm
    ----
Welcome back. Sorry about having to work, but it's your turn. Did you have good luck (skill) hunting?

#35: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Author: d_hoffmanLocation: Chillicothe, Ohio PostPosted: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:21 pm
    ----
Hornady makes a 130gr interbond light magnum
Item No. Qty/ Box Price
85549 20 $45.07

.270 Win., 130 gr. IB 85549
Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd 400 yd 500 yd
3215/2983 2998/2594 2792/2249 2595/1943 2406/1671 2225/1429

Trajectory (inches)
-1.50 1.20 0.00 -5.70 -16.50 -33.30

or a 140gr boat tail spire point light magnum.
Item No. Qty/Box Price
8556 20 $39.95

.270 Win., 140 gr. BTSP 8556
3100/2987 2900/2614 2709/2280 2525/1982 2349/1715 2180/1477

Trajectory (inches)
-1.50 1.30 0.00 -6.10 -17.60 -35.40

Either one would do nicely for elk, even at longer ranges.

If it's heavy cover SLAM that you need, get yourself one of those new Marlin XLR's in a .450 Marlin and get some Hornady Lever evolution;

Item No. Qty/Box Price
82750 20 $39.95

Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd
2225/3572 1887/2569 1585/1813 1331/1278

Trajectory (inches)
Muzzle 100 yd 200 yd 300 yd
-1.7 3.0 -2.2 -21.3

#36: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:21 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
Big "D"...One never has too many guns. In fact, 5 is but a pitance...

Rule #1: It's not about needs, it is about wants.

Rule #2: If you can count the guns you own, you don't own enough.

Rule #3: You are never happy until you buy another gun.

If you wife or girlfriend doesn't agree explicitly to these rules and guidelines, then see Rule #4.

Ruler #4: There are more women than guns.

#37: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Author: HandloaderLocation: Phoenix, Arizona PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 8:31 pm
    ----
Vince: the wolf program in Arizona is fraught with problems. Ranchers hate the idea and with good reason. The State agreed to pay for any claimed and provable wolf kills against livestock, but, to this date hasn't shelled out one dime. Absent that assurance, wolves are often considered "fair game" by some that have sustained financial damage.

In areas where the wolves have established themselves with breeding pairs, deer populations have declined. This may be due to wolves or to increased elk populations driving deer into other areas.

We saw wolves in Unit 27 (Arizona, eastern border with New Mexico) and heard them howl at night, an awesome and unforgettable sound.

Still, one is left wondering why we need wolves reintroduced? The balance has long since been altered by humans and the wolves only appear to be creating divisivness and changing existing patterns of wildlife and hunting. I have never heard an effective or logical argument for bring wolves back. If you have one, please share.

I would extend that sentiment as well to the condor programs. Why try to re-establish an amazingly stupid bird? The reason for their pending extinction was probably legitimate.

If wolves and condors aren't illogical enough, try this. There is a movement to declare the prairie dog "endangered"! Endangered?! There are miles after miles of dog towns in Arizona, an area not well known for prairie dog hunting.

#38: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:42 am
    ----
Handloader...No offence intended, but the elk run the deer off? In the Cascades of Oregon and Washington there is a very healthy elk population as well as a very healthy deer population living in the same areas. Not sure why elk would push deer of the same range as they don't eat the same thing. Elk are grazers and deer are browzers...

As far as the wolves are concerned I have mixed feelings about them. I understand the ranchers point of view and agree with them. And I agree that maybe the wolf has out lived its usefulness in the sceme of the ecosystem. To me, it would still be a great loss...

Aah yes...The california condor...That prehistoric carron eater of old. The giant buzzard that has to be feed by man because its natural food is no longer with us. So the goody-two-shoes kill cows to feed it. Man had no influence in its demize. It just, like its food source is dieing out. It, like it's cousin the smaller buzzards, must eat already dead animals. Only difference is the condor must have large dead animals. There aren't any so the "ecofreaks" kill beef and place it in various feeding stations for the condor. Yup...The welfare state even has welfare for obsolete animals and birds...

#39: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: Coyote_Hunter_Location: Franktown, CO PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:03 pm
    ----
Captbrian –

Back to your question about an elk rifle.

Your 7mm-08 is the minimum I would use. If shooting factory ammo I’d go with Federal’s 140g TSX load, which is less than 100fps behind the 7mm Mag loads I’ve used since 1982. That load is good to 300 yards easy (200 yard zero, -8.1” and 1452fpe @ 300).

But this is a good time to buy a new rifle, with your wife’s blessing – or so it sounds. Too good an opportunity to pass up!

A 7mm Rem Mag with a 160g bullet will do well – been using that combo since 1982 with no problems. I prefer premium bullets – North Fork, Trophy Bonded, A-Frame, TSX, MRX.

Stepping up to the .30’s ,no elk I’ve ever taken has been outside the rage of a .308 Win. Coming from out-of-state, though, I’d probably step up to a .30-06 at a minimum and I’d load it with Federal’s TSX/MRX/Trophy Bonded loads or a good handload using one of my preferred premium bullets. These loads will get you out to 400 yards with a manageable drop (if zeroed for MPBR for a 6” target) and about 1500fpe retained energy.

The next step up is the .300 WSM and Win Mag and I wouldn’t go any further in a .300. My preference is the .300 Win Mag. I load both 165/168 and 180g TSX/MRX and North Fork bullets for my .300 Win Mag and any would work well for elk a 500 yards and beyond. First thing I did when I got the .300 was develop .308 Win and .30-06 equivalent loads, so it’s a versatile cartridge.

The .338’s are fairly popular for elk but are really unnecessary. If you can’t do it with a .300 and a 165-180g premium you should probably reconsider the shot. Nothing wrong with them, though, and they are very effective.

How much range do you need? My longest shot ever, for elk deer and antelope, was 350 yards. One thin is for sure – you do not need a rifle that can shoot further than you can.

#40: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: SHOOTER458 PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 9:10 am
    ----
I have 2 I use, depending on expected range. A Savage 116 in 300RUM and a Marlin 1895g for the woody stuf.

#41: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: keetoowahLocation: Deep in the mountains of Montana PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 1:49 pm
    ----
Shipster wrote:
Come on you guys, your missing the point here. If you go around spreading rumors that you only need one gun to hunt all the big game animals in North America your screwing with a lot of guys who has their wives believing that they need another rifle to hunt this and a different one to hunt that. My God you guys if some of our wives see this type of thing in writing some of us could be in big trouble. And as fellow hunters surely you understand that we need to keep this type of talk to a minimum, and not promote this... this... unfounded RUMOR any more. Geeeze! you guys. Smile Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

Funny am I the only female on the planet that would buy her hubby (if she had one) one of each in the Guns, Knives, Archery & Sword section?

Do you really think wives are that stupid?? you're in for it..lololololol

Being a chef I understand that you need the right tools for the job when in actualiaty if you have a brain you can make due if you had to.
Not getting back into that subject
Boys love toys
especially the loud BANGING kind
regards

#42: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: trackerLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:07 pm
    ----
keetoowah wrote:

Funny am I the only female on the planet that would buy her hubby (if she had one) one of each in the Guns, Knives, Archery & Sword section?

Well I suppose you can expect the proposals to come pouring in now

#43: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: keetoowahLocation: Deep in the mountains of Montana PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 2:13 pm
    ----
no need for any

#44: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced guys Author: KodiakLocation: N.E. Missouri PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:30 am
    ----
Over a period of some 55 years of elk huntin', I have tried a few different calibers and here's the list;
.270 Win.
.280 Rem.
30/06
.300 H&H
.300 Win.
.338 Win.
.340 Weatherby.

And at age 71, I find myself back to using the vernerable 30/06 and a 180 gr. Nosler partition bullet.

Make sure the bullet goes right where it needs to go and you shouldn't have any problems. Best of luck to all elk hunters this season.

Kodiak

#45: Re: input needed for elk rifle input from some experienced g Author: CrackshotLocation: Mich PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:53 pm
    ----
I have used the 338 Win Mag with great results on Michigan elk! use a good bullet though.

-> Big Game Hunting