Should I crimp a jacketed projectile?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next  :| |:
-> Reloading Ammunition

#31: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:49 pm
    ----
Gidday Gelan....hope you had a good Christmas mate.

Now, cases.......PMC are really good cases, but a bit expensive. Norinco are "bush" cases...it doesn't matter if you loose a couple cause the rest go into the rubbish at the end of the day anyway. Very Happy

I use Winchester and Remington. They are both around $25 for 50 and the quality control is good....I've only ever had one dodgy case out of about 500 so far. Also, you can match Winchester projectiles to Winchester cases and likewise with the Remington....Remington Projectiles with Remington cases. All in all, it works out nice and cheap for the above combinations and I find that the quality is there. They aren't premium hunting projectiles, but they do the job. The game we have here in Australia doesn't demand high grade premium projectiles....unless you are hunting buffalo or camel. Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#32: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: gelandanganLocation: Sydney Australia PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 12:24 am
    ----
Party

Oi Vince!
My Xmas is definitely fine.
Got both my girls to do some Sniper and they got their rabbits and cookem for me Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Say, do you recycle factory loaded cases or buy new (unloaded) ones?
I have yet to buy new cases. Always been using recycled cases, even for handguns.

I wonder if there is any differences between the recycled stuff and the new stuff Confused
Maybe I should make this a new topic...

Gelan

#33: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:48 am
    ----
Good idea Gelan.......a topic on cases...I like it. Very Happy Very Happy

I'll let you start it off mate. Over to you.

Back onto topic...I have found that if I crimp my cases I get more consistent accuracy.

Cheers, Vince

#34: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:14 pm
    ----
[quote="gelandangan
PS. Can't look at the keyboard? is it the gut? too much cookie over Christmas? Very Happy :-D[/quote]

Cookies? Too many? Nooooo.... but that Egg Nog! STOP me before I NOG again! Very Happy

#35: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: sniperLocation: Utah PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:17 pm
    ----
Vince wrote:
The game we have here in Australia doesn't demand high grade premium projectiles....unless you are hunting buffalo or camel. Laughing Cheers, Vince

Geez, Vince, HOW do you cook a Camel? Yuck

#36: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:50 pm
    ----
sniper wrote:
Vince wrote:
The game we have here in Australia doesn't demand high grade premium projectiles....unless you are hunting buffalo or camel. Laughing Cheers, Vince
Geez, Vince, HOW do you cook a Camel? Yuck

Now would that meat be "very dry" or "moist" ...... ? Smile Confused Idea I suppose that would depend on when it had it's last drink of water. Laughing Laughing Laughing

#37: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:06 pm
    ----
Don't get Vince started on camels.... ROFL

#38: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:10 am
    ----
Well now guys....far be it from me to go off topic. Laughing Very Happy Very Happy

I stand by my belief in crimping. I believe that the heavier calibres in particular respond well to being crimped. The recoil can easily move the bullet in the case resulting in erratic pressures and accuracy.

Now camels.........you do of course realise what a camel is don't you.....its a horse designed by a committee. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing

We have a lot of wild camels in "the outback". In fact Australia has the last of the pure camel bloodlines in the world. They call camels "ships of the desert" for a reason....no, its not because they are full of *CENSURED*....its because of their ability to float across the desert sands.

As for cooking one....you would need a "god aweful" big spit roaster....they would be a real bugger to turn because of those long legs, and they would be a real pain to baste. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#39: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:58 am
    ----
I believe or have heard, 1895ss. That the hump is the best (or was that buffalo hump? The mind ya know). You would have to figure that if the camel had just drank that the hump would be the moistest part. That right Vince?? Very Happy Very Happy

#40: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:50 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
I believe or have heard, 1895ss. That the hump is the best (or was that buffalo hump? The mind ya know). You would have to figure that if the camel had just drank that the hump would be the moistest part. That right Vince?? Very Happy Very Happy

Gidday Bushy. Don't know about the hump being moist, but it would be terribly greasy comsidering it basically fat.

Quote::
Contrary to popular belief, a camel does not store water in its hump. It is in fact a mound of fatty tissue from which the animal draws energy when food is hard to find. When a camel uses its hump fat for sustenance, the mound becomes flabby and shrinks. If a camel draws too much fat, the small remaining lump will flop from it's upright position and hang down the camel's side. Food and a few days' rest will return the hump to its normal firm condition.

There ya go mate......reckon I would have to be pretty hungry to want to chow down on one. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers, Vince

#41: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:01 am
    ----
Yup and I've seen photos of you and you are NOT hungry...And yes I knew about the hump being fat. Just trying to get to 1895ss...

#42: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:25 am
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
..And yes I knew about the hump being fat. Just trying to get to 1895ss...

Didn't work did it ........... cause I knew that as well ............... !!!!! Haha ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL Hiding

#43: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:36 pm
    ----
The only time you crimp a jacketed bullet is if it has a cannelure. Smile

On subject...I'm not guilty of hi-jacking this... Very Happy Very Happy

#44: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:40 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
The only time you crimp a jacketed bullet is if it has a cannelure. Smile

On subject...I'm not guilty of hi-jacking this... Very Happy Very Happy

Yes, but I have to seat Remington 405 gr bullets deaper so that my OAL will be within the 2.550 max length for my 45-70, and when I seat the bullets at that depth I crimp where there is no cannelure. It works just fine with the Lee Factoy Crimp Die.

#45: Re: Should I crimp a jacketed projectile? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:01 pm
    ----
I would think a roll crimp would be better on lead or are you using jacketed bullets. The Lee FCD tends to loosen the grip that the case has naturally if the bullet does not have a cannelure, I would think. Could be wrong. Have been before. Will be again. But not often...

Last edited by Bushmaster on Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

-> Reloading Ammunition