Self Protection Shotgun
Go to page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#1: Self Protection Shotgun Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:10 pm
    ----
I am looking to buy a shotgun to take with me to the mountains this summer on a few back country quad trips. This would be to keep any unwanted bears from my tent (grizzley). I see there are several "Marine Shotguns" that are shorter in stature that might fit the bill. Any suggestions??? Confused

#2: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:17 pm
    ----
yep go with a moss 500 mariner with pistol grip stocks, if i can find it i will shoot ya the link to a place that puts out a "kit" form has the moss 500 shells, survival kit, first aid etc all in one lil package, fairly cheap too

#3: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:18 pm
    ----
found it
www.gunsamerica.com/gu...788353.htm

#4: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:36 pm
    ----
Hey thanks for the website link. That is exactly what I am looking for. I have several hunting shotguns but that would fit the bill.
Nothern Canuck Salute

#5: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:13 pm
    ----
figured ya would like that.. I have a couple hunting shotguns, and the one i use the most is the moss 500 in camo, turkey/squirrel/bird just change the choke, and i ran across that and started drooling!

#6: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:51 pm
    ----
That is a nice shotgun and would be fast handling. I wonder what the overall length would be because if it is less than 25.9 inches (660mm) long it becomes a restricted weapon in Canada. Not that it is a big deal, you just might need to get a restricted license. I've always had one but never really needed it but you never know that is a nice shotgun........ Smile

#7: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:30 am
    ----
That shotgun is non-restricted. It has a 18 1/2" barrel (doesnt matter that though seeing as its not a semi-automatic centerfire) but the overall lenght is listed as 28.75" Smile

www.mossberg.com/JIC.htm

Dimitri

#8: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:48 am
    ----
Dimitri wrote:
That shotgun is non-restricted. It has a 18 1/2" barrel (doesnt matter that though seeing as its not a semi-automatic centerfire) but the overall lenght is listed as 28.75" Smile

www.mossberg.com/JIC.htm

Dimitri

I knew the barrel length was ok but I was wondering about the overall length. Restricted firearms are more than just semi-auto center fire rifles!!!! Shotguns can also be a restricted weapon........ even with an 18.5 inch barrel, if it was less then 26 inches OAL it would be a restricted firearm!
www.cfc-cafc.gc.ca/inf...mp;p_e.asp

Definition of a Restricted Firearm

According to the Criminal Code, a restricted firearm is:

* a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm;
* a semi-automatic, centre-fire rifle or shotgun with a barrel length less than 470 mm (18.5 inches) that is not prohibited;
* a rifle or shotgun that can fire when its overall length is reduced by folding, telescoping or some other means to less than 660 mm (26 inches);
* any firearm prescribed as restricted (including some long guns).

#9: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:36 pm
    ----

I know that, just my mind goes to the barrel restiction first then the OAL part. Smile

Dimitri

Last edited by Dimitri on Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:23 am; edited 1 time in total

#10: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:14 pm
    ----
Dimitri wrote:

I know that, just my mind goes to the barrel restiction first then the OAL part. Smile

Dimitri

Ditimri, I see!!

#11: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: 204ShooterLocation: Diana, TX PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:53 pm
    ----
Northern Canuck
I have a Mossberg model 50402. This is an all weather, all black short barrel 12 gauge that is used by the Glendale, AZ police department (and probably others). It has an 18.5-19 inch long barrel, ghost ring sights on the barrel, and shoots slugs really accurately. I can put five 1 oz slugs into a 9 inch paper plate at 100 yards using the ghost ring sights. It is a pump style gun and I have a side saddle mounted on the receiver which holds 6 shells for a quick reload. It also comes with swivels and a black sling. I have to tell you, it is one mean looking shotgun! I am sure it would be a good "personal protection device."

Last edited by 204Shooter on Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:54 pm; edited 1 time in total

#12: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:53 pm
    ----
I found the JIC m500mariner on S.I.R mailorder website for $461.99. Looks like a nice kit. I think it would be nice to put a folding stock on it though. The kind that folds up on top of the receiver, much like the police use. for a while I was thinking of just getting another barrel for my 870 Super Mag Express 3 1/2 in and getting a folding stock for it?? Likely end up more money than just buying the Mossberg. Wave

#13: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:01 pm
    ----
204Shooter wrote:
Northern Canuck
I have a Mossberg model 50402. This is an all weather, all black short barrel 12 gauge that is used by the Glendale, AZ police department (and probably others). It has an 18.5-19 inch long barrel, ghost ring sights on the barrel, and shoots slugs really accurately. I can put five 1 oz slugs into a 9 inch paper plate at 100 yards using the ghost ring sights. It is a pump style gun and I have a side saddle mounted on the receiver which holds 6 shells for a quick reload. It also comes with swivels and a black sling. I have to tell you, it is one mean looking shotgun! I am sure it would be a good "personal protection device."

Is this much the same as the 590 Special Purpose?? Cheers

#14: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: MoraxLocation: Pittsburgh Pa PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 5:33 am
    ----
Northern Canuck wrote:
I found the JIC m500mariner on S.I.R mailorder website for $461.99. Looks like a nice kit. I think it would be nice to put a folding stock on it though. The kind that folds up on top of the receiver, much like the police use. for a while I was thinking of just getting another barrel for my 870 Super Mag Express 3 1/2 in and getting a folding stock for it?? Likely end up more money than just buying the Mossberg. Wave

but if you did the new barrel, that defeats the idea of buying a new gun... Smile

#15: Re: Self Protection Shotgun Author: Northern CanuckLocation: Alberta, Canada PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:30 pm
    ----
Laughing Solved the dilema. I bought the Mossberg 590. I have not had a chance to try it out yet but I think it should fit the task quite well.
Thanks for the feedback everyone.

-> Big Game Hunting