lands on a 338 win mag ?
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: swampdonkey PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:06 pm
    ----
On a 338 win mag, model 70 winchester, what would i expect for a measurement between the lands and the grooves? In other words, what should the height of the lands be?

#2: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 3:44 am
    ----
swampdonkey,

American manufacturing standard has them at .004" hense why the .300Win Mag is called the .300 but fires a .308 caliber bullet. Smile

British Standard (with Enfields anyways, I belive the commercial rifles may fallow German Standards) is .0055" hense why a .300 caliber Enfield fires a .311 bullet. Smile

Dimitri

#3: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: swampdonkey PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 4:12 pm
    ----
Thanks

I measured mine to be apprx .004 inch.

#4: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 5:06 pm
    ----
swampdonkey,

Sounds good! By the way welcome to the forums hope you stay a while Howdy

Dimitri

#5: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:49 pm
    ----
So then meatree by yur reckoning why aint a 308 calt a 300 ?? Both use the same boolits .. The lands on the 338 shud be around 330 , grooves around 3375 or so , if ya wants to git teknikal ..

So meatree why aint a 270 called a 277 ?? Why is a 7mm actually 275 yet the 7mag is a 284 ( 7.21mm ) ?? Why do the dakota 330 shoot a 338 diameter ..
Meatree you opened the door son ...

#6: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:51 pm
    ----
Jack,

I opened no door! Hiding

I was just giving examples of how deep rifle groves should be and the "oversize" of bullets. And that comprason is used for the 30 caliber sized bullets that were issued in the militaries of the world. Smile

A 270 Win shoots a 277 bullet you say, well what if I told you a 269 isn't as applealing in name as a simple 270 so that might be way they did it that way ?? Laughing

The 7mm for example is 275, and it shoots a 284, well to me that seems like they just simply added a thou and added the 8 thou of land on it so they ended up with a even number, unless ofcourse because its a magnium they add a extra half thou to each grove. Confused

The Dakota 330 shoots a 338 bullet because of the 4 thou per side for the groves. Smile

But I'm not a firearms expert I just read alot and found that interesting tid bit of fact somewhere about the depth of the groves so I past it on. Hiding

Dimitri

#7: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:13 pm
    ----
A true 7mm is 275 ...

The 7 mag shoots a 284 or 7.21mm , so why it aint a 7.21 mag ( the lazz is ) ??

So why did dakota call their 338 a 330 ?? Or better yet why didnt winchester call the 338 a 330 ??

Its a matter of language usage .. And marketing as well .. And tradition as well .. The Brits normally measured from land to land , where we measure normally from groove to groove ..

Yur too easy meatree ..

#8: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:19 pm
    ----
Jack,

I had no idea about that. Smile

Dimitri

#9: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: GroovyJackLocation: Bama PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:27 pm
    ----
Here here now meatree , no idea of what ?? Sad

Ignorance is no excuse Very Happy

#10: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: jeh7mmmagLocation: DFW, TX. PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 7:36 pm
    ----
Here is some pretty interesting stuff on caliber and terms

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caliber

#11: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:46 am
    ----
GroovyJack wrote:

Oooo......you're a hard man groovy. Very Happy Very Happy Laughing Haha

Hang in there 'Meatree......yer holdin' yer own mate. Very Happy Very Happy

Don't let em set the hook when they bait ya mate. Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Weatherby .243 is exactly that... .243, cause thats what it says on the box !! Very Happy Laughing

Cheers, Vince

#12: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: BushmasterLocation: Ava, Missouri PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:16 am
    ----
That's O K Big "D"...And Vince is gullible....("....cause that's what it says on the box!!")

#13: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:57 am
    ----
GroovyJack wrote:

I had no idea thats how they measured the caliber, I generally assumed it was the land to land (or the smaller diameter) that was generally named and the groves only mattered for when your reloading or producing ammo to size it right for the rifles. Smile

Dimitri

#14: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:26 pm
    ----
Bushmaster wrote:
That's O K Big "D"...And Vince is gullible....("....cause that's what it says on the box!!")

Me...gullible Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing

Bushy....I know that it must be right, what it says on the box, cause its printed in COLOUR !! Very Happy Very Happy Haha

Cheers, Vince

#15: Re: lands on a 338 win mag ? Author: PaulSLocation: South-Eastern Washington - the State PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 10:49 pm
    ----
I have a 30-06 that shoots .30 caliber bullets and .308" diameter bullets equally well. My brother has a .308 Winchester that shoots both bullets just as well. Razz

I guess I just learned young that 30 caliber bullets were .308 inches in diameter and that a 270 shot .277" bullets and that 243 carbine was a 6mm. Dad was an engineer and if I learned anything from him it was to look at things with a critical eye - you know look at it from all the angles so that you don't miss something. He called it "critical thinking" and I guess I caught it.

Anyway its all semantics guys - it don't matter what ya call it, just what ya feed it.

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions