KNIVES FOR HUNTING
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  :| |:
-> Big Game Hunting

#31: Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING Author: FALPhilLocation: Dixie PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:39 pm
    ----
Here is what I have field dressed the last few deer that I have harvested:

[img]http://www.motivators.com/resize.asp?path=products/31_lspartan.jpg&v=1[/img]

#32: Re: KNIVES FOR HUNTING Author: VinceLocation: Brisbane AUSTRALIA PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:58 pm
    ----
204Shooter wrote:
Vince, Did you get the folding or fixed blade model? The Omni Hunter looks like a really good knife for the $35 to 40 USD. What features of the Omni Hunter helped you decide on that model. As you can see by the newbie questions, I am new to skinning and butchering my on game.

Gidday mate....I went for the fixed blade model, but only because I think that the fixed blade offers a little more strength over a folder...not that there is anything wrong with a folder, its just my personal preference. My reason for getting the Omni Hunter is the shape of the blade...it has plenty of depth and body to it which I feel assists with skinning (more so than butchering)...but again, this is just a personal preference. For butchering I have access to butchers knives (it helps when your daughter is a Chef).

Any questions that you have in regards to skinning and butchering just throw 'em out there...there are plenty of guys here who have a wealth of knowledge and experience. In fact, have a look at the Topics found in the Articles section of HuntingNut:

Topics

shrpshtrjoe wrote:
Right on Vince The Buck should do ya just fine
Joe

Yep, you are right Joe. I decided on the Buck brand after talking with you guys some time back. What you said about the brand made my mind up about them. Also the shape of the Omni Hunter is exactly what I was looking for.

FALPhil, I was like you mate and for quite some years used a knife that is probably not suitable for the job, but now I have a purpose built knife it has made the job so much easier. Do yourself a favour and look at getting a purpose designed skinning knife and you will wonder why you hadn't done it years ago.

Cheers, Vince

-> Big Game Hunting