GOOSE DINNER!!!
-> Waterfowl Hunting

#1: GOOSE DINNER!!! Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 9:31 am
    ----
Early goose season is here and boy, has it been hot out.
This is the first cool day, and our oldest Son Ben, and his buddy left before light to go goose hunting.
They filled out right away, and came home with 10 geese, all weighing around 10-12# a piece.
I will cook up a big goose dinner for the family tonight.
The "old man", [ME] will be getting up early in the morning to kill a few geese himself.
Will then go to Mass, and thank the Lord for giving us "Natures Bounty"

It doesn't get any better than Hunting Season.

Eric Very Happy Very Happy

#2: Re: GOOSE DINNER!!! Author: 1895ssLocation: Not Here...!! PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:34 pm
    ----
I have been seeing some of the geese from up north starting to come down our way. I saw a flock of snow geese the other day. It seems early but I guess it's almost mid Sept.

#3: Re: GOOSE DINNER!!! Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 10:00 am
    ----
I cooked the big goose dinner, and then my Wife and I went to the Township dance after.
One by product of eating waterfowl is gas. Lots and lots of GAS.
I blamed her for the stench though. Very Happy Very Happy

Eric Embarassed Embarassed

#4: Re: GOOSE DINNER!!! Author: shrpshtrjoeLocation: Maryland PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:28 pm
    ----
ElyBoy wrote:
I cooked the big goose dinner, and then my Wife and I went to the Township dance after.
One by product of eating waterfowl is gas. Lots and lots of GAS.
I blamed her for the stench though. Very Happy Very Happy

Eric Embarassed Embarassed

I use to have a boston terrier that was rather gasy Fart
I use to blame that poor dog for it everytime Very Happy and my exwife would buy it Cool .
Sounds like ya had a good dinner and a good evening congrats Smile .
Joe

#5: Re: GOOSE DINNER!!! Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2007 1:47 pm
    ----
Ben came home with five more geese today.
He asked me if I could clean them so he and his buddies could go back out hunting, so I spent a couple of hours cleaning goose today.
I'm starting to think that things do go in circles.
I remember doing the same with my Dad.
Ben wanted me to hunt with him this weekend, but I passed. I told him that my leg was too sore to do the walking.
In truth I figured that he needed bonding time with his new hunting buddies.
There is three of them that have gotten close, and the other two kids are safe and good hunting hunting partners.
It's really nice that Ben could find some good partners at this age.
I told him that if a guy found two or tree really good hunting buddies in his lifetime, he could consider himself lucky.
I think that I will go with them next weekend.
I'm planning on taking my old Browning Auto-5 2 3/4" with BB Shot, just to show off a little, with the 3 1/2" magnum boys. Very Happy Very Happy

Eric

#6: Re: GOOSE DINNER!!! Author: WeinbenderLocation: Manitoba, Canada PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:17 am
    ----
Geese and ducks!

You say that ur seing snow geese flying south already, and yes it is way to early , they shouldnt be doing that for atleast id say another 2 weeks, me and my dad hunt in southern manitoba(thats were we live) and the first 2 times we went hunting we shot 36 ducks but its getting really cold, really early, we even got a chance of snow this weekend? Crying or Very sad
that aint good, mostly we were able to hunt all the way till the end of hunting season which ends somewhere in october or november. but this is getting too cold too fast. seems like the end of the world to me, what am i gonna shoot if not ducks and geese!

btw- lets see if some of u guys can beat my record goose
it had a 2.1 m wingspan and weighed somewhere around the 12 kg mark i think. took it out while it was flying with my trust 870!

#7: Re: GOOSE DINNER!!! Author: ElyBoyLocation: Forest Lake Minnesota PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 11:45 am
    ----
I have hunted Delta Marsh for Ducks sense the 70's.
I haven't been there for a while because of Family and too many new regulations. [Me and regulations don't get along very well]
Geese normally started hitting Langruth around mid to late Sept. and worked South from there.
I guess that the Gladstone area has been hot the past couple of years for Snows.
Back in the Day, a guy could figure that Delta would freeze around mid-October. Now there is open water into Nov.

It looks like you guys will get it sooner this year.
My Son Ben, has been coming home with his 5 Geese quite often. Last night he went after school and they shot 7 honkers.
These are the bigger geese around here, and they weigh around 12-18
pounds.

I just came in from the smoker. I was going to smoke some geese up.
I found that the year wasn't good for it, and I have to go to town later, and buy a new one.

Good luck hunting.
I have seen years where it was really cold in the beginning of the year, and brought the waterfowl down. Then it warmed up, and Katy bar the door, we shot the snot out of them for the rest of the season.
I hope that it happens for you guys that way.

Eric

-> Waterfowl Hunting