Firing pin springs
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Firing pin springs Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:08 pm
    ----
Has anyone ever had to deal with a firing pin spring that was inconsistant and resulted in groups opening up?

From what I've read, heard, and belive, a consistant strike to the primer is a key ingredant to having small groups.
Remington bolt guns are known to have springs that bind and twist when under tension. All this has got me wondering about two guns I currently own, and a few others from the past.

Does anyone know of a tool or way to measure firingpin force?

Has anyone ever purchased a Tubb or Calhaun firing pin assembly?

Any thoughts or comments???????????????????????

#2: Re: Firing pin springs Author: Gil MartinLocation: Schnecksville, PA PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:11 pm
    ----
It depends. I have had to replace firing pin springs in Springfields, Mausers and U.S. Enfields. My local gunsmith stocks them and a I usually go a few pounds heavier than the original springs. All the best...
Gil

#3: Re: Firing pin springs Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:30 pm
    ----
I think its more of a marketing gimic, consider that unless your shooting one of thouse 40lb bench rest rail guns shooting off all 10 rounds of the match almost instantly so the wind doesn't have time to change much I don't think firing pin springs are all that important.

Like using match primers, to control the primer ignition, sure they may work for bench rest matches and the like to close up the groups alittle more then regular primers but does that little gain really matter to the avarage person ??

Primers cause a violent explosion and as you know if you throw a water ballon twice in the same spot in the living room for example, you may wet the TV remote the first time but not wet it the end time even though its in the same position. Match primers, little tubes soldered into the brass etc have all been attempted over time to give more consistent results.

Dimitri

#4: Re: Firing pin springs Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:57 pm
    ----
I think if the firing pin strike was drastically different from round to round you could have a problem there but that wouldn't be among the first things I'd check for accuracy problems. If you did suspect it make sure it is well cleaned and lubed.

How do the firing pin marks look on the primer? Are we talking factory loads or handloads? If handloads, are the primers getting seated properly? Then you've got all the usual rifle checks: bedding, screws tight, etc.

I think the replacement kits you mentioned are geared more to reducing lock time for the super accuracy folks. Stronger springs, titanium pins and such.

#5: Re: Firing pin springs Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:17 pm
    ----
I do not see how a firing pin spring would dramatically affect accuracy of a rifle. Reliable ignition is another matter. I do as Gil mentioned in replacing faulty firing pin springs. Take care...
Joe

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions