New Hornady muzzle loader bullet
-> Primitive Weapons Hunting

#1: New Hornady muzzle loader bullet Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:24 am
    ----
I got the 2008 Hornady catalog this week and see that they have a new muzzle loader bullet, the "FPB". Its a full .50 caliber modernized Minie' ball from what I see in the picture. Copper jacket and elastomer tip. It has a BC of .285 and, with 150 grains of Hodgdon 777, a muzzle velocity of 1950 ft/sec. 100 grains of powder gives it 1620 ft/sec.

I was wondering if anyone had had a chance to try them yet. I know I will when I get my hands on some.

By the way, I didn't see this bullet on Hornady's web site yet.

#2: Re: New Hornady muzzle loader bullet Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:19 pm
    ----
Mike,

I've not seen them yet.

Do they have a gas check at the base(similar to the powerbelt)?

#3: Re: New Hornady muzzle loader bullet Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:24 pm
    ----
Hunterjoe, they are an "original" Minie style, with a hollow base formed into the bullet. There is no separate plastic skirt like the PowerBelt. The only plastic is in the nose. Since they dont have it on their website yet I'll see if I can scan a pic from the catalog and post it here later.

#4: Re: New Hornady muzzle loader bullet Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:25 pm
    ----
Thanks

#5: Re: New Hornady muzzle loader bullet Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:56 pm
    ----
Well, I tried to copy a pic of this thing but something prevents me from uploading it. If you go to Hornady's website you can view their 2008 catalog. Scroll down through the catalog sections and you'll see "Muzzleloading FPB".

#6: Re: New Hornady muzzle loader bullet Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:37 pm
    ----
Dunno if this will work, but anyone else interested try this:

www.hornady.com/media/...e_0043.pdf

Mike,

I will give them a try as soon as I can find them. The given external ballistics are impressive, curious to see how close they will be outside the lab...

#7: Re: New Hornady muzzle loader bullet Author: bobfisher1017 PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:01 am
    ----
I shot 4" groups at 100yds out of my TC Omega X7 with FPB,s and two 777 pellets. Limited by 1x Nikon scope due to Wisconsin, best I can see, sight on target paper, not bullseye. Still dead deer. I am trying to see a deer this weekend, but they come in after dark so far. They loaded about as easy as a sabot, had to swab the 777 ring after 2-3 shots

-> Primitive Weapons Hunting