Turkey Gun
-> Gun & Firearm Discussions

#1: Turkey Gun Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:18 pm
    ----
My next purchase will be a 12gauge for turkey hunting here in KY. Suggestions on what to look for or brands and or models? I know you will have plenty of opinions.

#2: Re: Turkey Gun Author: Dimitri PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:35 pm
    ----
I liked the Mossberg 935 "Grand Slam" (I think!) Turkey gun my father purchased.

Had pretty good groups at 30 yards with the "Double Mag" #4 shot turkey loads as well. A nice dead turkey guaranteed covered pattern on a letter sized piece of paper when I tried it out for its grouping of the shot before the last season. Smile

Dimitri

#3: Re: Turkey Gun Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:51 pm
    ----
You failed to mention the budget for your new gun.

How much you willing to part with?

#4: Re: Turkey Gun Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:57 am
    ----
I already have too many shotguns. This is solely for turkey season here in KY. I would like some budget friendly ideas. Under $500 or maybe around $300 in a pump. I had thought Mossberg, Nova, 870.

#5: Re: Turkey Gun Author: chambered221Location: Lost for good !!! PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:19 pm
    ----
KYGunner wrote:
I already have too many shotguns.

Have you thought about taking one you already have and making it a turkey gun???????????????????

You would be surprised what you can do with a can of bow paint and a screw in choke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know, I know, that takes all the fun out of buying a new gun.

But you did throw the "B" word in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#6: Re: Turkey Gun Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:28 pm
    ----
Thought about it, but all of the good shooters are nice wood stocks with some "extras". A good example is an SKB 600 over and under. Nothing really UTILITARIAN with a synthetic stock.

#7: Re: Turkey Gun Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:00 pm
    ----
I have a Remington model 870 wingmaster for sale if you're interested.
www.gunbroker.com/Auct...m=89883248

#8: Re: Turkey Gun Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:02 pm
    ----
Modified choke

#9: Re: Turkey Gun Author: hunterjoe21Location: Miles City, Montana PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 7:13 pm
    ----
I shoot a Nova, and now that the recoil is somewhat tamed (although I've NEVER felt any recoil when shooting it at a turkey or goose) love it.

#10: Re: Turkey Gun Author: Joe BoleoLocation: Pennsylvania PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:46 am
    ----
I found one on the used gun rack of a local gun shop. It is a mint Remington 870 Wingmaster and it sold for $159.00. It depends what you prefer. There are a lot of great deals sitting on used gun racks. Take care...
Joe

#11: Re: Turkey Gun Author: PumpkinslingerLocation: NC foothills PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:16 pm
    ----
Mossberg makes the 835 in several "turkey" versions. Mine has a camo stock/action. I bought extra chokes so I could play with different loads and game. 3.5" shells aren't TOO uncomfortable to shoot. (Ever wonder why we need 3,000 ftlbs of muzzle energy for a 20 pound bird?) I'm betting you can find one used somewhere after someone ran some 3.5s through it and decided it kicked too hard.

#12: Re: Turkey Gun Author: codybrownLocation: Michigan PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:19 pm
    ----
Joe Boleo wrote:
I found one on the used gun rack of a local gun shop. It is a mint Remington 870 Wingmaster and it sold for $159.00. It depends what you prefer. There are a lot of great deals sitting on used gun racks. Take care...
Joe

That's a good eal. I was in the local gun store today and saw one with a full choke for $450, and it was all beat to hell.

#13: Re: Turkey Gun Author: KYGunnerLocation: Elizabethtown, KY PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:16 pm
    ----
I have got the money saved up and itching to buy a good turkey gun. I have thought about a Stoeger semi auto I have found in a local gun shop. Anybody know anything about these guns or have opinions?

#14: Re: Turkey Gun Author: grizzly48Location: Upstate South Carolina PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:54 pm
    ----
I have a Mossberg 5500 semiauto with 30" full choke bbl. if interested..Randy will take 200.00 plus shipping

-> Gun & Firearm Discussions